Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Some people do, I don't, I can't pretend not to be slightly worried by the lack of spare situation, but that's common to most new cars nowadays. I do carry a bottle Jack and a non gunking compressor, in the hope that if I return to the car to find a flat I can get enough air into a tyre to get moving without filling a tyre with hard to remove gunk and giving a tyre shop a good excuse to write off a tyre. I haven't had to test the theory yet, long may that continue!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had a slow leak through the side wall at about 3000 miles. I used the electric pump that came with the car to drive to the dealer to get a new tire. Easy peasy. No weird tire go used at all.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
75 Posts
I have only needed to use a spare tyre twice in the last 20 years (not for the Kona), my last car had a similar pump and tyre weld equipment instead, in the first case I pumped the tyre up and was able to continue on to a tyre garage, for the second case I had a 90-minute delay sorted out by the RAC driving me and the tyre to a local garage and back. Overall saving the extra weight and space of a spare tyre doesn't cause me an issue.

·
Premium Member
17,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having looked on the web to other people's experiences, they say
the spare will only fit the front wheels?
" IT DID NOT FIT! The brake caliper blocks full installation of the small wheel. You can't fully tighten the wheel and it forces the brake pad on the disk. I decided to keep the $250 spare tire & kit anyway for use if I get a blowout in front."

·
Registered
155 Posts
Having looked on the web to other people's experiences, they say
the spare will only fit the front wheels?
" IT DID NOT FIT! The brake caliper blocks full installation of the small wheel. You can't fully tighten the wheel and it forces the brake pad on the disk. I decided to keep the $250 spare tire & kit anyway for use if I get a blowout in front."
What size wheel and tyre did you buy? Some other owners have also found that not all compact spare wheels fit on the rear, and a fullsize wheel is recommended.
If you get a rear blowout, swap your spare with a front wheel first, then swap that good front wheel with the rear flat...no worries.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a slow leak through the side wall at about 3000 miles. I used the electric pump that came with the car to drive to the dealer to get a new tire. Easy peasy. No weird tire go used at all.
What Electric Pump that "came with car"? My 2020 Ultimate doesn't seem to have one. Only a can of REPAIR FLAT that fills a tire with Goop to repair hole until I get to a repair shop.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, my 2019 came with a little can of goo and a small 12V electric pump. You connect the two and the pump pushes the goo into the tire. But you can also use the pump without the goo. Just a little bit of fiddling with the connector since the can is missing. Double check your stuff. Maybe you have that too.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thank you for the warning.

I tried my space saver on the car. It just touched the rear brake calliper perhaps by the thickness of a sheet of paper. It went on but would not rotate and warping under load could make it worse so no slight fettling of the calliper I am afraid.

On the front no problems at all, a large space all round.

So annoying, makes a rear puncture longer to fix but at least I will have a spare.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I forgot the compulsory photographs:-

The rim:- I was assured it was from a Niro Hybrid.

The tyre:-

Witness marks from the calliper touching.

IMG_1002.jpeg

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Thank you for the warning.

I tried my space saver on the car. It just touched the rear brake calliper perhaps by the thickness of a sheet of paper. It went on but would not rotate and warping under load could make it worse so no slight fettling of the calliper I am afraid.
Without seeing the geometry, might some spacer washers fix that ?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Not really, the interference is circumferential not axial. I suspect you could grind a few millimetres off the edges of the calliper but it is not worth it as it will fit the front OK.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
It's strange. Front brakes are always (AFAIK) larger (in disc diameter) than the rear, so the design of the Kona rears must be very chubby.
I wonder if it's to do with the parking brake system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts