Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. is there a 16 inch steel wheel that would fit my e niro 4+ to use as a spare and would fit in the well without taking the plastic trim out like Peter carey did

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
906 Posts
If you look at post #22 in this thread you can see that with a very small mod to the right side plastic fitting you can thereafter easily remove and replace a full size spare wheel without removing any of the screw in fittings.

Peter

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just wondering. is there a 16 inch steel wheel that would fit my e niro 4+ to use as a spare and would fit in the well without taking the plastic trim out like Peter carey did
Hi
if its any help and you go ahead i have a 16inch space saver i used for my niro plugin

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hi
if its any help and you go ahead i have a 16inch space saver i used for my niro plugin
I think you will find the E-Niro is just way too heavy for a space saver. Let alone whether it fits etc.
Peter

·
Registered
92 Posts
you could be right but it was for a leaf too start with and fitted mine perfect as pd and spaceing all the same

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a 16" space saver. It fits the front OK but just fouls the brake calliper on the rear. So if you have a rear puncture you will first need to replace it with a front tyre then put the space saver on the front.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Like almost all BEVs, the e-niro isn't type approved for a space saver. You would need to get your insurance company to agree to your use as a modification from factory specification.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Certainly Kia refuse to recommend a space saver wheel and it is a heavy car. The safest answer is a full size wheel.
It’s also a damned sight better too. I only used a space saver once and frankly it was utter rubbish. The car (Prius) felt all wrong with horrible asymmetrical cornering and braking pulled to one side. I can’t believe those things are even legal to use! They should be totally outlawed IMO.
Plus you can’t go over 50 (not that I’d want to anyway). So you have to get the punctured wheel fixed pronto.
With a proper spare, none of those shortcomings. Hugely better.

Peter

1 - 11 of 11 Posts