Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my GTE booked in for its 4 year service at ~29,000 miles, the vast majority electric. Absolutely no problems and everything running smoothly like new.

The VW dealer informed me that as the car was now 4 years old I should have the spark plugs changed, bringing the total cost of the service to over £300. I declined given the low use the petrol engine has had which brought the service cost down to about £180. The difference seems a lot for what I think is about £40 worth of parts and given I had an independent garage quote me £83 to change the plugs.

I would be very grateful if the hive mind could answer a few queries especially from those with cars of higher mileage
1. Did you get your spark plugs changes as per the schedule? (I think reading elsewhere this is 4 years / 40,000 miles)
2. How much were you charged?
3. Is there a reason plugs should be changed at 4 years in a low mileage car with even lower engine use?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Currently on 37k miles on a 2015 GTE. Bulk of the miles on electric (even more so since lockdown, 1,000 miles on a tank with half left still). Plugs have not been changed and VW have not offered to do so yet but I guess they will on the next service due later in the year.

I can't see any problem with extending the service interval for spark plugs. Perhaps one slight concern is if left in for too long if they would seize and become difficult to remove?

The one thing I would absolutely not skimp on is the DSG oil change which is due at 40k miles IIRC.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,934 Posts
I have not reached 4 years yet so I can't help with your first two points.

However here is my take on the third point.

Although actual engine mileage is pretty low on most GTEs, the duty would have amounted to total abuse of an ICE in any other situation. Starting from cold into a high power output instantly must be very hard on everything. Constant stop start cycles likewise. No chance of warming up. All internal wear must be very heavy and incorrect combustion must be a common occurrence. So stick to the manufacturer's maintenance schedule if you are wise; even if it is conservative.

Also if you want to keep your warranty going!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just got my GTE booked in for its 4 year service at ~29,000 miles, the vast majority electric. Absolutely no problems and everything running smoothly like new.

The VW dealer informed me that as the car was now 4 years old I should have the spark plugs changed, bringing the total cost of the service to over £300. I declined given the low use the petrol engine has had which brought the service cost down to about £180. The difference seems a lot for what I think is about £40 worth of parts and given I had an independent garage quote me £83 to change the plugs.

I would be very grateful if the hive mind could answer a few queries especially from those with cars of higher mileage
1. Did you get your spark plugs changes as per the schedule? (I think reading elsewhere this is 3 years / 40,000 miles)
2. How much were you charged?
3. Is there a reason plugs should be changed at 4 years in a low mileage car with even lower engine use?

Many thanks.
My plugs were changed on the last major service (3 years old) - first major service.
Plugs will generally set you back around 40 for a set NGK's. Easy enough to change yourself.
Pugs should generally be good for 40k/4years in general. However, id doubt the plugs in the gte get up to temp for long periods of time like a conventional ICE. Perhaps they will wear easier and quicker.

At 4 years old, I would change them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts