Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good morning.
I`m from Paraguay, I`m working in a company that perform electric installations.
Recently, we are start working in electric vehicle charger installations.
According to I have investigated, it is necessary install the chargers in independent circuit and its recommended use a RCD dedicated for that circuit.
For other hand, I don`t find certain information about the use of a SPD or overvoltage protection for that installation.
It is necessary use it? It is recommendable?
Any help or comment that can you give me, I will thank you.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think cars charge faster on higher voltages. As long as your mains does not go over 250v rms, I would not worry

·
Registered
429 Posts
Realistically this forum is not going to give you the information you need. We do not know about electrical safety in Paraguay or how your grid works, what vehicles are common over there or what the accepted standards of installation are.

Suggest you look for more information locally.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
For other hand, I don`t find certain information about the use of a SPD or overvoltage protection for that installation.
It is necessary use it? It is recommendable?
In the UK it is now 'strongly recommended' that domestic installations (any/all, not just ones with EV chargers) have an SPD fitted near the supply input, typically in the consumer unit.
I'd guess this is possibly due to the increasing amount of electronic equipment in homes these days.

They aren't particularly cheap and currently need two ways in the CU (device + MCB), so can be a problem.

The physics of electricity doesn't change, so it may be a good idea to fit SPDs in Paraguayan installations, but obviously you need to check your local regulations as to whether it's necessary, or even permitted (there might be some obscure rule).

·
Registered
90 Posts
In the UK it is now 'strongly recommended' that domestic installations (any/all, not just ones with EV chargers) have an SPD fitted near the supply input, typically in the consumer unit.
I'd guess this is possibly due to the increasing amount of electronic equipment in homes these days.
Strongly recommended by the manufacturers of SPDs one might speculate!

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Strongly recommended by the manufacturers of SPDs one might speculate!
Maybe, but they've managed to get it written into the 18th. One could suggest that a lot of the regulations reflect lobbying as much as anything else - and not just electrical regs come to that. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts