Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Presumably you can't use that while the car is moving? (I mean, obviously, the *driver* wouldn't be able to use it safely, but would the passenger be able to activate and use web browsing on the move?)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Presumably you can't use that while the car is moving? (I mean, obviously, the *driver* wouldn't be able to use it safely, but would the passenger be able to activate and use web browsing on the move?)
There are no restrictions, warning or otherwise about using the web while driving, the only hat tip to saftey is the browser does not support video playback. Not sure if thats for safety or to keep the 3g costs down for tesla.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
There are no restrictions, warning or otherwise about using the web while driving, the only hat tip to saftey is the browser does not support video playback. Not sure if thats for safety or to keep the 3g costs down for tesla.
Video is illegal when the car is moving if it can be seen by the driver.
I guess legislation hasn't caught up with the possibility of having a web browser in line of sight yet.

I used to have an app on my phone that would read out my Twitter stream (Social Radio) while I was driving - it was actually quite amusing for a while, until you realise there are some times you should just disconnect yourself from the online world for a while!

Reactions: knoxie

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I'm sure most Tesla drivers are safe drivers...but as a rule I think this is a very bad move for road safety. I'm sure that comment will provoke lots of debate about the amount of distractions drivers already have, but most other car manufacturers are trying to REDUCE the need to look away from the road ahead, yet acknowledging people will have distractions such as texts and calls eg Ford's SYNC system.

Just remember that as well as you monitoring it, the tech can monitor you. So if, heaven forbid, you have a fatal accident and it's proved that you were browsing the web at the time eg you're the only one in the car...then you WILL go to gaol.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest its not been a distraction, most of the time I have the google maps display and the media player on the screen, however its a nice to have when you pull up and want to check on the news while the car is charging.

Technology should never take away from common sense, if you are stupid enough to browse the web while driving you probably wont have a driving license for much longer.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Agreed Jon. I'm also NOT a fan of aiming for the lowest common denominator and I doubt that it applies to Tesla drivers. But would you want the same tech in the hands of a 'yoof' in his Corsa VXR whilst he's driving leaning on the window (what is that all about? Hey - look, I'm so good at driving I can do it whilst chillaxing) and posting facebook comments at the same time?

Reactions: jontracey

·
Super Moderator
7,533 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
That's odd, the Anglia doesn't even look damaged....
But the death occurred on the inside, in a car with no safety cell, no concessions to survivability and a buttload of sharp edges and protrusions...

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Super picture!! keep them coming Jon, the screen in the Model-S is totally awesome, the HD rear view camera makes the leaf one look like a childs toy and the Ampera one like something out of a xmas cracker ;)

Pretty sure they will be adding guide lines to the reversing camera, video hardware it totally able to do that, the around view monitor on the Leaf is pretty good though, I wonder if Tesla might go that way as well.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
The guide lines on every reversing camera I have ever used are totaly useless, the ones like on the Volt that bend like a banana as you tern the steering wheel bears no relationship with were you will end up. I only use the camera to check distance and make sure no one has run behind the car, the rest is what the car has mirrors for.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The ones on my leaf were fine, made it very easy to back into spaces in one go, really liked them

·
Registered
707 Posts
The guide lines on every reversing camera I have ever used are totaly useless, the ones like on the Volt that bend like a banana as you tern the steering wheel bears no relationship with were you will end up.
The Volt I drive doesn't have a back-up camera (unfortunately - and is without navigation as well, sadly). However, I've used back-up cameras with the bending lines as you describe on rental minivans that I've had over the years, and they were nice, were accurate, and worked well. That said, I *still* used my mirrors... simply because I was accustomed to doing so.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
The guide lines on every reversing camera I have ever used are totaly useless, the ones like on the Volt that bend like a banana as you tern the steering wheel bears no relationship with were you will end up. I only use the camera to check distance and make sure no one has run behind the car, the rest is what the car has mirrors for.
The ones on Nissan's work very well (I had a Navara). IIRC the Primera was the first car (in the UK at least) to have them, so they've had some practise :)

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
The ones on Nissan's work very well (I had a Navara). IIRC the Primera was the first car (in the UK at least) to have them, so they've had some practise :)
I had a 55 plate Aventura, fantastic car.
Shame I had to deal with Nissan customer services, did yours have as many problems as mine?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I had a 55 plate Aventura, fantastic car.
Shame I had to deal with Nissan customer services, did yours have as many problems as mine?
My wife had a 06 Plate Aventura, apart from the common clutch fault (fixed under warranty after I showed the dealer a printout of load of forum posts), it was a solid workhorse for the 5 years we owned it, so no real need to see the dealers. After much nagging I traded it in for her A4 Cab, which has been problems ever since :(

At the time I had an Exige S, and with two highly impractical cars, I VERY reluctantly took my turn in being the family truck driver so I got the V6 Navara. A cracking piece of kit, and MUCH better to drive than the old one. I even got it to 135MPH on the Autobahn on a 2500 mile euro trip last year. Again nothing went wrong with it (apart from the air intake hose from the turbo coming loose, which I fixed by re-attaching and tightening the jubillee clip myself) so no real need to see the stealers.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
My wife had a 06 Plate Aventura, apart from the common clutch fault (fixed under warranty after I showed the dealer a printout of load of forum posts), it was a solid workhorse for the 5 years we owned it, so no real need to see the dealers. After much nagging I traded it in for her A4 Cab, which has been problems ever since :(

At the time I had an Exige S, and with two highly impractical cars, I VERY reluctantly took my turn in being the family truck driver so I got the V6 Navara. A cracking piece of kit, and MUCH better to drive than the old one. I even got it to 135MPH on the Autobahn on a 2500 mile euro trip last year. Again nothing went wrong with it (apart from the air intake hose from the turbo coming loose, which I fixed by re-attaching and tightening the jubillee clip myself) so no real need to see the stealers.

In 145000 miles I had 5 complete clutch and fly wheel assemblys, the last three were in the last 7000 miles and Nissan refused to pay anything towards them. In fact they told me it was my driving that caused the problem, Fantastic truck [email protected] company

1 - 20 of 22 Posts