Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it works out better to have a volume housebuilder install PV panels (offered as option) when building a new house, or to wait and do it after its finished?

I wonder if the cost saving of having it done at the build stage (scaffold up, less tiles) would be hoovered up as profit instead, given how like car dealerships they make options more expensive than necessary?

An integrated install would look nicer (maybe, if the bothers you).

Anyone had to make this decision?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Going back 4 year ago I remember the 4kw integrated solar panels system was £10-12k from the Builder. I laughed. Even then it was more than twice the market rate.

We didn't go new build in the end, and I still don't have solar panels. Who's laughing now

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
What stops you from getting a couple quotes from installers and ask your builder what is their price?
They will do the same. No builder installs solar panels, they will contract it out.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
What stops you from getting a couple quotes from installers and ask your builder what is their price?
They will do the same. No builder installs solar panels, they will contract it out.
They probably already have an agreed contract with a supplier if it's one of the big builders. It's easy for a multi year contract to be well behind the market price.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The scaffolding and overheads are a significant part of the cost these days and struggle to think you can get it done cheaper retro. If you wanted a in roof system (which is less efficient) then this is not run of the mill and will cost, although you do have the saving on the roof tiles, but needs to be done at time of build.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
They probably already have an agreed contract with a supplier if it's one of the big builders. It's easy for a multi year contract to be well behind the market price.
What they get as quote it won't be for sure what will be passed on to you.
Large house builders (I have no idea how big your particular one is) won't be so generous that will give you the cheapest quote.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
They'll also probably only fit a small system. New builds on my estate have three or four panels, which is just a token gesture.

If they're amenable, getting them to leave scaffolding up while panel installers visit would be the best option. I wouldn't go in-roof unless the aesthetics are much more important than cost and efficiency. the panels will not get cooling from behind and this can really cut their output, especially when it's, you guessed it, sunny!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts