Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
@donald I don't know when Ford will be selling an EV in the UK - that's not the question here You can pose that question once the appropriate forum has been created - it would be the correct place to do so. Ford have previously sold the Focus Electric so if this is criteria to create a manufacturer forum for Ford, I would consider it met.

@AndyG I'd like to think that any discussion forum is there for good reasons - to incite positive conversation and in the case of SpeakEV, to be conducive to the progression and promotion of the design, manufacture, sale and use of EVs and PHEVs.

Granted, the Ford Mustang Mach E is due in late 2020 but the Kuga PHEV is real, on-sale. However, there is a forum for VW's ID.3 and that's not available yet.

@Admin please would you consider my request.

·
Super Moderator
6,072 Posts
@donald I don't know when Ford will be selling an EV in the UK - that's not the question here You can pose that question once the appropriate forum has been created - it would be the correct place to do so. Ford have previously sold the Focus Electric so if this is criteria to create a manufacturer forum for Ford, I would consider it met.

@AndyG I'd like to think that any discussion forum is there for good reasons - to incite positive conversation and in the case of SpeakEV, to be conducive to the progression and promotion of the design, manufacture, sale and use of EVs and PHEVs.

Granted, the Ford Mustang Mach E is due in late 2020 but the Kuga PHEV is real, on-sale. However, there is a forum for VW's ID.3 and that's not available yet.

@Admin please would you consider my request.
I am not saying that it isn't, I am just pointing out that it wont become a priority until there are lots of requests for a specific forum. The number of pre orders for the ID3 is massive, you are the first person to mention the Kuga....

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,293 Posts
Ford never 'sold' the Focus electric, it was by some byzantine invitation only. No dealer could 'sell' it, no dealer could 'service' it and no dealer I spoke with even knew who to ask!

So, no, Ford has not 'sold' an electric car in the UK yet.

An electric car is one that can fulfil its brochure-rated top speed and acceleration criteria on electric power alone. If it cannot fulfil the claims made for it on electric power logically its performance can't be classed as 'an electric car'.

If we started including every car with just a modicum of electric power contributing to its propulsion, we'd end up with manufacturer attaching a small 10 Watt windscreen wiper motor to the propshaft somehow, and saying 'look! It's an electric car!".

I'd like us to resist any new forums where a manufacturer does not sell an electric car, as defined above. (That would exclude Ford, even if you could buy one of these Pumas today).

Just my 'contrarian' POV.

·
26,293 Posts
We also don't have a Toyota forum, for like reasons.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,734 Posts
Makes my chuckle that SpeakEV seem to hate FORD, in fact they hate any new EVs if it means a new forum area for them.

I can't wait for FORD to come along and shake up the industry a bit by helping drive down costs.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hello there,

I have created the E-Tron SUV and MG section now.
Let me know if there are any more.

Cheers,

ED
How about one for the Polestar?

Can you also tidy the manufactures back up into alphabetical order again (MG and Mini both spring to mind but they may be others) as navigating the sub forums isn’t as clear as it could be.

·
26,293 Posts
How about one for the Polestar?

Can you also tidy the manufactures back up into alphabetical order again (MG and Mini both spring to mind but they may be others) as navigating the sub forums isn’t as clear as it could be.
Can we buy one?

·
26,293 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
There isn't an ID.3 forum. There is a VW forum, and VW sell the e-Golf.
I never said there was, there is however an ID.3 sub forum.

If you really want to be pedantic then have a Volvo forum with the Polestar in a sub forum along with all the other hybrids Volvo sell.

I know Polestar is a separate company but Volvo is the parent company.

·
26,293 Posts
Volvo don't sell a BEV.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Whilst some might believe that the name of this site might relate to discussion about pure electric vehicles, I want to think that this forum is for positive discussion about vehicles with a hint of electrification. The world is changing and so too are the vehicles we drive. Picking requests apart because of semantics is pointless and tarnishes this forum's reputation. I (and I suspect many others) did not sign up for negativity and pedantic posts when we simply want to discuss specific vehicles in an appropriate area to keep the discussion on topic.

·
26,293 Posts
Whilst some might believe that the name of this site might relate to discussion about pure electric vehicles, I want to think that this forum is for positive discussion about vehicles with a hint of electrification. The world is changing and so too are the vehicles we drive. Picking requests apart because of semantics is pointless and tarnishes this forum's reputation. I (and I suspect many others) did not sign up for negativity and pedantic posts when we simply want to discuss specific vehicles in an appropriate area to keep the discussion on topic.
Is a 2010 800cc Smart city car an 'electric car'?

It has the power to drive an electric motor and deliver a kW or so.

"micro-hybrid"

Basically, all cars now do this to some extent, be it simply removing the alternator loading during straight driving and then engaging it, 'regeneration', under braking. Ergo, all cars are now 'electric'.

Once you start saying 'Ah, but that's not much, while this one is enough to be an EV' then it is not anyone here being pedantic it is the person putting forward such a proposition.

I do not own the site and I speak only for myself, but I will seek to represent and argue my will if I think it is right; manufacturers get a forum once there is a BEV you can buy and sign an order for with the dealer.

End of. Keep it clean and unambiguous, then there's no confusion.

Once a manufacturer is part of the 'BEV family', then their range of PHEVs and such become more significant because the technology, aims, marketing, performance etc will have cross-over potential with their BEV.

No BEV = no forum.

That's my view. Simple. Easy to qualify and quantify.

This can either

81 - 96 of 96 Posts