Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do people drive at in terms of speed, and what is your average miles per KWH

Im driving a gen 2 leaf tekna 2013

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
In my Mk1 I drive mostly at 55-60 and get about 3.3 - 3.5 miles/kWh on a generally flatish route (i.e. no steep or long hills). I can get better than that if I am lucky enough to be behind a large truck. I don't tailgate but even at a safe distance behind makes a difference.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Leaf is a late 2013 with 9000 miles on the clock. At speeds below 60 mph in the current mild weather I'm getting 4.0-4.3 miles/kWh, but in winter it was more like 3.3-3.7. Range at these speeds is normally 80-90 miles but I've seen over 100 from time to time. Motorway speeds make a big difference and bring the range down to 70 miles or so. I don't like to travel below 70mph on motorways in case ICE drivers get the impression that EVs are slow :).

Here I'm talking about real speeds - Leaf speedometers are notoriously optimistic and mine consistently over-reads by 10%. I'm sure that can be corrected but I haven't found out how as yet.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Here I'm talking about real speeds - Leaf speedometers are notoriously optimistic and mine consistently over-reads by 10%. I'm sure that can be corrected but I haven't found out how as yet.
You can not adjust the speedometer from within the car. All EU vehicle speedometers are built to a specified EU tolerance of over reading by up to 10% plus 6.25 mph. You would have to use a third party device to achieve this or use a separate GPS device.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You won't be able to adjust the speedo.

It is a legal requirement that speedos don't underread and they must not overread by more than 10% +6.25mph.

This is according to the the regulations but if you allow for normal errors in the system, manufacturing tolerances, tyre wear etc then in practice all speedos overread to some extent.

See here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/35/made#text=speedometer

In practice, to ensure that all speedos in all cars comply with the regulations at all times the accuracy of car speedos must be manufacturered much better than the regulations will permit. It is unlikely that any speedos are either be 100% accurate or overread by 10%+6.25mph IMO. It is also very likely that the inaccuracy will vary depending on the speed. Much more likely then is that all car speedos overread by 5-10%. This is also my experience.

To use GPS as a guide to actual speed can also be misleading. GPS usually only gives horizontal speed. If you are on a slope then it will underread your actual speed. This can be significant on fast roads with steepish hills. If you want to check your speed accurately then you must not be going really slowly (GPS is less accurate at slow speeds) and also be on the flat (no hill).

AFAIK The only accurate way to measure speed is timing over a measured distance. Even the radar guns have inaccuracies although they are very small and insignificant when measuring the speed of a car.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Not sure what I'm doing right but I travel mostly duel carridge ways with some motorway and county roads thrown in. I do 60-70 on the motorways and 40-50 on the dual carriageways I'm usually just over 5 miles to the KW. I hardly ever use the breaks other than coming to a complete stop though, I wonder if that's it?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im getting ove 5 all tje time now the other week I had 6:1

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Doing 60mph on a flat road about 6kw and over all about 5.7kw. But when I driving the car it has a meter that tells me how many kW have been used, yesterday after I did 9 miles it said 1 kW has been used, and as I continue to drive I get a little less for each kW.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You won't be able to adjust the speedo.

It is a legal requirement that speedos don't underread and they must not overread by more than 10% +6.25mph.

This is according to the the regulations but if you allow for normal errors in the system, manufacturing tolerances, tyre wear etc then in practice all speedos overread to some extent.

See here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/35/made#text=speedometer

In practice, to ensure that all speedos in all cars comply with the regulations at all times the accuracy of car speedos must be manufacturered much better than the regulations will permit. It is unlikely that any speedos are either be 100% accurate or overread by 10%+6.25mph IMO. It is also very likely that the inaccuracy will vary depending on the speed. Much more likely then is that all car speedos overread by 5-10%. This is also my experience.

To use GPS as a guide to actual speed can also be misleading. GPS usually only gives horizontal speed. If you are on a slope then it will underread your actual speed. This can be significant on fast roads with steepish hills. If you want to check your speed accurately then you must not be going really slowly (GPS is less accurate at slow speeds) and also be on the flat (no hill).

AFAIK The only accurate way to measure speed is timing over a measured distance. Even the radar guns have inaccuracies although they are very small and insignificant when measuring the speed of a car.
When I test drove the LEAF, I found that it really overstates the speed by several km/h compared to my current car. Setting it to my usual cruise control speed, I was suddenly overtaken by lorries...

I set cruise control to 96 km/h on the highway, and compared both cars with GPS. On the Chevrolet, it read 92 km/h, on the LEAF it read 87 km/h. Both measured on straight and flat roads, and with the same GPS device.

I'm still getting the LEAF, but it is a bit annoying.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
If this really bothers people you can adjust the speed that's displayed. There is a discussion on mynissanleaf.com

I just accept my speedo is out by roughly 10%.

In fact when I have a passenger and I'm trying to get some good range out of the car, traveling at 55mph looks better than 50mph :)

·
Super Moderator
7,463 Posts
Not sure what I'm doing right but I travel mostly duel carridge ways with some motorway and county roads thrown in. I do 60-70 on the motorways and 40-50 on the dual carriageways I'm usually just over 5 miles to the KW. I hardly ever use the breaks other than coming to a complete stop though, I wonder if that's it?
You're mainly travelling at an indicated 40-50mph( ~36-45mph) and at those speeds would get 100odd miles of range.

If you drive at an indicated 70 mph you will get significantly less!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I must admit after driving the leaf for 2.5 years I tend to ignore many of the figures and just tend to drive as I need with feedback from the leafdd. It's a gut feel thing based on experience of speed, drain, conditions, risk of next charge point working. It becomes automatic after a while....

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Four up and on the motorway the other day with a boot half full, driving just below 60 MPH most of the way (indicated just over 60 mph) and using the aircon/heat as little as possible to still see out the fogged up windows. Driving on clear(ish) motorways so very little speeding up and slowing down...

72.9 miles, one "bar" on the GOM and very low battery warning on our one year old Nissan LEAF. I was really dropping the speed for the last 10 miles or so as I could see range was going unexpectedly fast. (Unexpected as I've had over 90 miles before not consciously driving so carefully).

My guess is I had about another 7-10 miles or so before death (based on previous use and percentage left).

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don't think your cruising speed is the whole story here. I think it's really important to accelerate and decelerate very gently.

Looking at this month's results on Carwings, on Sunday I did all the driving on a 158-mile round trip at 5.1 mpkwh, in 4.7 hours (34 mph ave). My son drove for 130 miles on 9th, at 4.2 mpkwh (33.3mph ave) , in 3.9 hours' driving and on 13th my wife drove 43 miles at 5.3mpkwh in 1.6 hours. Hers was mostly along country lanes. My son was driving on the A127. M25 and M20, although that would account for only 100 or so of his miles. He also took his sisteer, niece & nephew out for recreational purposes, so that would have brought his average speed down. I was on mixed dual carriageway and single carriageway A roads.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts