Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can’t quite believe what happened yesterday when I drove for the first time in several weeks.
Just down the road from me is a cluster of 4 or more speed cameras. I’ve driven that road dozens of times since getting my Eniro 5 months ago. I heard multiple ding dong warnings as I approached and/or passed the cameras.

This is a distinctive warning sound I swear I’ve never even heard before! I remember seeing the cams graphic on the nav screen before but I’ve not had that warning ever (unless I’m losing the plot).

So is there a setting somewhere that I might have changed (and forgotten I’d changed it) or it’s changed itself Or is this something new that maybe is associated with live data? Or am I just going slightly mad after months of nauseating lockdown :eek:

The only other thing I can think of is I had to do the reset button thing a while back to get my UVO app working again. Maybe that did something. This is the first time of driving since that reset was done some time ago. I feel so stupid having to ask this after 5 months of ownership but I swear I’ve not heard this distinctive sound before, and I’ve been through hundreds of speed cams.

PS on a related matter, I’m still totally amazed that the car generally knows correctly.....
what are the present speed limits and.....
where the cams are and also.....
what speed I’m currently doing.

All neatly displayed together on the very same nav screen. Yet it hasn’t got the simple few lines of code needed to sound a warning when I’m accidentally exceeding the speed limits! That is so annoying! With variable speed limits everywhere, 20,30,40,50,60,70 it would have been so darned useful!
Peter

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
360 Posts
I can’t quite believe what happened yesterday when I drove for the first time in several weeks.
Just down the road from me is a cluster of 4 or more speed cameras. I’ve driven that road dozens of times since getting my Eniro 5 months ago. I heard multiple ding dong warnings as I approached and/or passed the cameras.

This is a distinctive warning sound I swear I’ve never even heard before! I remember seeing the cams graphic on the nav screen before but I’ve not had that warning ever (unless I’m losing the plot).

So is there a setting somewhere that I might have changed (and forgotten I’d changed it) or it’s changed itself Or is this something new that maybe is associated with live data? Or am I just going slightly mad after months of nauseating lockdown :eek:

The only other thing I can think of is I had to do the reset button thing a while back to get my UVO app working again. Maybe that did something. This is the first time of driving since that reset was done some time ago. I feel so stupid having to ask this after 5 months of ownership but I swear I’ve not heard this distinctive sound before, and I’ve been through hundreds of speed cams.

PS on a related matter, I’m still totally amazed that the car generally knows correctly.....

all neatly displayed on the very same nav screen. Yet it hasn’t got the few lines of code needed to sound a warning when I’m accidentally exceeding the speed limits! That is so annoying! With variable speed limits everywhere, 20,30,40,50,60,70 it would have been so darned useful!
Peter
Use the speed limiter no problem then.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem with that is constantly having to change the speed limiter every minute or two for different speed zones. Also, that only really works if you always know what the speed limit is, and/or remember to change it as needed. I can’t be constantly looking at the screen every few seconds. I prefer to focus on the road in front.
It should be an automatic warning option setting IMHO. Perhaps with an adjustable leeway over speed margin.
Peter

Reactions: Fred Gray

·
Registered
729 Posts
Most people drive on roads they know 90+% of the time and most speed limit signs are obvious. Driving over the speed limit due to ignorance isn't a good excuse.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most people drive on roads they know 90+% of the time and most speed limit signs are obvious. Driving over the speed limit due to ignorance isn't a good excuse.
I completely agree, but it’s still easily done unintentionally. I’m not looking for an excuse, I just want help in complying. Thats why I think the car should help me with a gentle audible warning when going over (IMHO of course). I can get exactly this feature but have to run a separate app on my phone. The car should do it built in. Hence why they call it “Intelligent Speed Limit Warning“. In this implementation, there is no intelligence in it!
Peter

·
Registered
37 Posts
The speed camera warnings are a setting in the maps on the infotainment screen. Can't remember the exact location, but it was one of the first things I turned off.
It would make sense that resetting the unit turns the warning back on.

·
Registered
471 Posts

All neatly displayed together on the very same nav screen. Yet it hasn’t got the simple few lines of code needed to sound a warning when I’m accidentally exceeding the speed limits! That is so annoying! With variable speed limits everywhere, 20,30,40,50,60,70 it would have been so darned useful!
Peter
Fully agree that it would be very useful - particularly if you could have the warning if speed exceeds limit by 3mph (the amount my speedo is fast). One type of bong I would not want to turn off!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro First Edition 2019
71 Posts
My First Edition has speed limit warnings. As you approach a speed camera above the limit it sounds a prominent bong noise over and over. If you're not over the limit, no bongs (just the subtle ding-dong as you're about to pass). I say under the limit, but actually I turned it off because it sounds about 1-2 mph under the limit so went off unnecessarily all the time. Would be much more useful if you could configure a personal "tolerance".

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My First Edition has speed limit warnings. As you approach a speed camera above the limit it sounds a prominent bong noise over and over. If you're not over the limit, no bongs (just the subtle ding-dong as you're about to pass). I say under the limit, but actually I turned it off because it sounds about 1-2 mph under the limit so went off unnecessarily all the time. Would be much more useful if you could configure a personal "tolerance".

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
That’s interesting Richard, Thanks. I’ll look out for that effect (now that I’ve apparently suddenly got the ding dong camera warnings working). From your description, it appears to go part way towards what I’ve been banging on about. However, I would have much preferred it to warn whenever I exceed a speed limit anywhere, not just when I do it approaching a known fixed camera.

Having said all that, I might also end up turning it off as it does seem to ding dong me to death, what with so many clusters of speed cams all across my home area. I’ll certainly leave it on for now anyway to see how it works (and if I can tolerate all the ding dongs!). I agree it seems bonkers to warn when you are just below the cam speed, it should be when travelling just above it, not below!
Peter

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One snag with the limiter is that it won't hold the speed down downhill or bring it down below the set limit. I think that is a weakness, as the car is capable of slowing itself.
Yes, fully agree Richard. I think the SCC is much more use than the speed limiter, and also it does work downhill too iirc. (Please correct me if that’s wrong, I’ve not used it for a good while)
Peter

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes, fully agree Richard. I think the SCC is much more use than the speed limiter, and also it does work downhill too iirc. (Please correct me if that’s wrong, I’ve not used it for a good while)
Peter
Yes, SCC can do it, so why not the limiter? Personally, I'm not too keen on SCC other than for motorway etc. Though it does work well in stop-go traffic. Luckily, I can avoid that. Had a nasty prang using cruise control on ordinary main roads once - set at 60 and lost it on a bend that should have been ok at 80!

·
Registered
98 Posts
The speed limiter usually depends on the accurately of the cars speedometer. When compared to GPS, this is generally set 10% or so lower than the actual speed the car is travelling.
This becomes a big problem in town and in lower speed limits, unless your vehicle can set the limiter at (say) 22 or 33 MPH.
Joking a little, the 20MPH limit has the unintentional effect (in city centres) of legalising kerb crawling ...

·
Registered
613 Posts
The speed limiter usually depends on the accurately of the cars speedometer. When compared to GPS, this is generally set 10% or so lower than the actual speed the car is travelling.
This becomes a big problem in town and in lower speed limits, unless your vehicle can set the limiter at (say) 22 or 33 MPH.
Joking a little, the 20MPH limit has the unintentional effect (in city centres) of legalising kerb crawling ...
The speed limiter can be set in increments of 1 m.p.h.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts