Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Collected my ‘17 41Kwh Zoe today, enjoying it so far!

I’ve noticed that whenever you approach a speed camera, the SatNav pings you a warning - as anticipated.

However even if you drop the satNav volume to zero and put the navigation on mute, the Stereo still ‘drops’ the volume of whatever you’re listening to, when approaching a speed camera (as it would if you have the volume up on the satnav).

This is so annoying (especially driving on the M1 where the temporary speed limit has just been raised from 50 to 60mph!), there are cameras everywhere!

Any tips on how to work around this?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Simplest way is to remove the SD card and just use Google Maps through android auto for navigation.

Though this may be the nuclear option!

·
Registered
227 Posts
The annoying traffic announcements are in the radio settings from what I remember.
You can disable them there, but it still occasionally mutes whatever I'm listening to to bring me silence (during which time, adjusting the volume pops up a "traffic announcement volume" display on the touchscreen, which is how I can apportion blame). Very occasionally, it decides to leave all audio cut and I have to cold power-cycle the car to get it back! I've not found a way to solve this, I suspect it'll require a software update from Renault but I doubt there's even been anyone working on it.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Simplest way is to remove the SD card and just use Google Maps through android auto for navigation.

Though this may be the nuclear option!
17 Reg 41 kWh would not have Android Auto or Apple equivalent. That didn't become standard until mid 2018. Mine's March 2018 without either. Was rather miffed as I had just bought my Zoe. There is a work round on Youtube where you can program the earlier cars with a laptop.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Also, Waze is far better for cameras.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bee
17 Reg 41 kWh would not have Android Auto or Apple equivalent. That didn't become standard until mid 2018. Mine's March 2018 without either. Was rather miffed as I had just bought my Zoe. There is a work round on Youtube where you can program the earlier cars with a laptop.
Watched a couple of these videos, I bet carplay/ android auto running on the 17/18 plate Zoe is laggy as hell. It’ll be a hardware limitation I suspect.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Oh, it is. The video decoder can’t keep up. No hardware (GPU) acceleration most likely. It’ll be some all-in-one ARM thing.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have a workaround I’ve been using for a while.

i bought a cigarette lighter USB socket. I plug My iPhone in to that and it charges it. I connect the iPhone to the car via Bluetooth. This stops the audio cutting out.

I found It only cuts the audio out if your connected directly to the USB socket in the car.

ive been listening to my audiobooks and podcasts in peace since.
hope this helps someone.

on on Zoe 40kW model if that helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can’t help but wonder why car user interfaces are so poor (Tesla being the exception). UX designers are ten a penny.

You could drop any new budget android tablet or 4 year old iPad in the dash and it would be a joy.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
You can programme it on any age Zoe. Did it for my Mother in laws 2016 ZE20 and my 2017 ZE40.

It's incredibly easy once you have the cable.

Watched a couple of these videos, I bet carplay/ android auto running on the 17/18 plate Zoe is laggy as hell. It’ll be a hardware limitation I suspect.
Been running AA for around 6months. Since the updated AA it's been faultless. Runs very smoothly for me and my ZE40 is a Jan2017.

·
Registered
505 Posts
do you have a link. I’d like to put Apple CarPlay or android auto on mine if possible

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
do you have a link. I’d like to put Apple CarPlay or android auto on mine if possible
It doesn't support Apple Carplay, but you should get all the information you need from this thread to enable AA:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts