Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would let everyone know that I think there is a flaw in the Leaf speed-camera audible warning system. If you are on the mobile phone on hands free, the audible warning is not given although the camera still shows on the display so if you are not watching the display and pass a speed camera when talking on the phone you will NOT receive the audible warning as usual. (Not sure why this happens as if you are listening to music or the radio, the audible warning is given so the system can handle two audio functions at once. Maybe it's a bug?)

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
It's almost certain that the phone function turns off the other audible feeds whilst you are chatting, as it does the radio, etc.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Just don't use the phone while you're driving then. Much safer.
Watching the satnav while talking on the phone while driving past a danger spot doesn't seem a good idea.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Obviously better not to talk on the phone at all whilst driving but sometimes people call you and if you do happen to be answering the phone whilst passing a speed camera, you won't get a warning. That's all I'm saying. Not trying to start a debate about the merits of mobile phones being used whilst driving!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also not advocating speeding! Just making the point that as Nissan have provided a hands-free phone system and speed camera warning system, it would be good if the former did not override the latter!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
FWIW it does lower the music volume somewhat however volume is cranked up high (guilty) then it's hard to hear and just sounded like the music got briefly interrupted.
As @paulsinger says this is not to comment on the wisdom of phones/speeding/etc just what it does.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
But you can turn up the sound on the warning - next time a warning is being made, increase the volume and it will stay at that volume. Trouble is if you sometimes have really loud music and set the warning at that level, next time you get the warning it will be very loud! Shame they can't make it vary according to the current sound level of music.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Thanks, everyone but I'm pretty sure that on my Leaf if the phone is in use there is no audible warning (at any volume).
Interesting that the phone and music interfaces are different.
I wonder if music via bluetooth is the same as the phone behaviour.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,175 Posts
But then how will I be able to hold my beer?
It should be obvious that you will be very distracted if you try to drink beer in the car whilst driving. Do not drink beer and drive. Make sure you finish it before getting on the road else you might spill it over your newspaper.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Why do you need the warning if you always drive within speed limit? Would you slow down at speed camera location?

DON'T slow down for speed cameras. It doesn't help traffic flow and creates congestion behind you. It also forces car behind you to take unnecessary action.

I'm sure we've all encountered people who speed past you on dual/motorway and then you pass them at the speed camera locations with your cruise control set. It's number one on my list of inconsiderate drivers: speed camera brakers.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all your comments and jokes! When I started this thread, I just wanted to point out a potential flaw in the Leaf's warning system. I certainly didn't bargain for some of the reactions!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Thanks for all your comments and jokes! When I started this thread, I just wanted to point out a potential flaw in the Leaf's warning system. I certainly didn't bargain for some of the reactions!
Welcome to the world of random thread drift on SpeakEV :)
The mods are pretty good as handling stuff if the thread goes seriously off-piste too.
And thank for the information, it is an interesting foible.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts