Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my old 2016 Leaf the speed camera warnings and icons were on by default.

On my new Oct 2019 Leaf 40, which now uses Tomtom satnav, I don’t have any warnings, and can’t see a way to turn them on.

Have they now been removed from the navigation system, or have I just not found how to turn them on?

Thanks.

Malcolm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
675 Posts
It would be a very unusual TomTom system not to have speed camera warnings available. No idea how to enable them on a very new Leaf though.

Being warned where there were speed camears five years ago really isn't a very helpful feature on a 2018 Leaf !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be a very unusual TomTom system not to have speed camera warnings available. No idea how to enable them on a very new Leaf though.

Being warned where there were speed camears five years ago really isn't a very helpful feature on a 2018 Leaf !
Indeed, I had that with the old Leaf! The new one has Tomtom Satnav, with up to date maps and over the air updates.

Malcolm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Looking around Nissan forums for other recent models using the Tomtom satnav, there are several posts noting that Nissan have removed ‘Safety Camera’ alerts as they are Illegal in some territories to which the car is exported.

Malcolm

Surely providing the facility isn't illegal, it's whether or not the user wishes to activate and use it? Similar to our mobile phone laws.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Telling you where speed cameras are located is not illegal. What is illegal is special detector devices that warn you whether a camera is active or not. Many cameras are just dummies.
Indeed, in the UK, but the argument was that the other countries the car is exported to, or used in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Telling you where speed cameras are located is not illegal. What is illegal is special detector devices that warn you whether a camera is active or not. Many cameras are just dummies.
No, in France for instance it is illegal to show the exact locations of cameras. TomTom gets around this by showing warning Zones around any potential danger, including cameras. Their use IS wholly illegal in certain other EU countries. This isn't about Radar detectors, just camera locations.

·
Registered
904 Posts
You can switch Waze into metric, but it's hidden. You have to click on the search icon, then on the settings icon (cog), then general and it's in there.

The advantage of Waze is that it includes mobile speed traps too. It's not foolproof but I find 99% of the time it warns me.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
You can switch Waze into metric, but it's hidden. You have to click on the search icon, then on the settings icon (cog), then general and it's in there.

The advantage of Waze is that it includes mobile speed traps too. It's not foolproof but I find 99% of the time it warns me.
But I don't want metric. What winds me up is the American use of feet instead of yards. I don't want to be told it's 1000 feet to the next junction. Sure, I am perfectly capable of dividing by 3 but I'll carry on using the built-in Sat Nav which is more user friendly, thanks. As for mobile speed traps, isn't that dependent on input by other users?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Will 1m is about 1 yard so you could just use metric.

Yes it's done by other users, that's why it's so good! The official ones don't have the mobile traps that are only there for a day.

·
Registered
220 Posts
In the spring, ZapMap said they will be going on to Android Auto. But nothing yet. It would be really handy to have your filtered charging points show up on the map as you drive along. Be interesting to see if they also add speed cameras on route.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not had a chance to try this yet as I am not beside a computer with USB.

Looking around Nissan forums for other recent models using the Tomtom satnav, there are several posts noting that Nissan have removed ‘Safety Camera’ alerts as they are Illegal in some territories to which the car is exported.

Malcolm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
this is Renault influence, it is illegal in France to have a cam database installed in your satnav, there are a number of sites offering the DB for Nissan Connect but not the Nissan Connect 3 (2019) as yet.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just replaced my 2018 with a 2019 and the warnings are available just switched off by default. It's in the settings I just can't recall where.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just replaced my 2018 with a 2019 and the warnings are available just switched off by default. It's in the settings I just can't recall where.
The speed warnings are just an alert that you are exceeding the speed limit in the Satnav system and not camera warnings as far as I can tell! Was a nice to have but I don’t generally speed so not that bothered about the camera alerts.
Might have a play with importing POIs at some point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts