Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting used to my GTE NAV but I can't find much in the handbook or CAR menus about the Satnav.
Does the factory fitted unit have the fixed motorway cameras in it's database?
Or do I need to install something on an SD card? I could have saved myself £85 if it does.

The reason I ask is that I was caught exceeding 70 mph on an automatic camera device on the M5 Southbound on my old car a few days before I took delivery of my GTE NAV. I've opted for the speed awarement course, which incidentally has gone up from £60 to £85 and been shortened from two days to one half day but at least it avoids getting points on the license.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,630 Posts
The points is one thing but the increased insurance premium is quite another. Although a speed awareness course is not classed as a conviction a lot of insurers have added a question that specifically asks if you’ve attended a speed awareness course.

If you've attended a speed awareness course, you’ll have to tell them the truth because lying on your insurance application would be classed as fraud and in the event of a claim could mean that your claim is declared invalid and you’d have to pay the cost of any damage and repairs yourself.

The police do not share information with insurance companies so it would be quite difficult for insurance companies to find out that you have attended but do you risk it.

Once you declare that you have attended a course the insurance company will load your premium for the a minimum of 3 years, more likely 5 years and that will cost you a lot more than £85:confused:

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,303 Posts
This is also what I have heard. Taking the points means that after a set time the conviction is 'spent' and you can't be obliged to tell them about it. But a course they could ask you at any time in the future.

Don't play their game. Change your mind and pay the ticket.

FWIW I have also heard of cases where points has REDUCED a person's premium. The actuaries logic is that if you haven't been driving enough to get points these days then you are not getting enough experience on the roads (or some total nonsense like that). Just 3 points often leads to no extra premium at all. Ask your insurance company how it will affect your premium if you take the points. I'll bet it will be a lot less than you imagine.

·
10,630 Posts
This is also what I have heard. Taking the points means that after a set time the conviction is 'spent' and you can't be obliged to tell them about it. But a course they could ask you at any time in the future.

Don't play their game. Change your mind and pay the ticket.

I don't think it makes any difference from the insurance companies perspective, they treat it exactly the same as a speeding conviction, the advantage to doing the course is you don't get points so are 3 points further away from getting a ban.

The thing that gets me is if you take points they are valid for 3 years but you can't get them removed from your license until 4 years have elapsed yet insurance companies are legally allowed to keep punishing you for 5 years, probably the same if you do a speed awareness course.

If you want to see how much they add for a speeding conviction go onto one of the comparison sites and get a quote with and without points, last time I looked it was £60 but I'm guessing that has gone up so if you declare a speed awareness course it will cost you at least another £300 but that's a lot less than the hundreds of thousands it could cost you if your policy is declared invalid through non declaration.

The other advantage to doing a speed awareness course is if you apply for a driving job a clean license is advantageous, some companies will accept a few but some don't allow any from new applicants.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
It varies by insurer. When I last renewed my insurance with LV I asked them whether I had to declare that my other half had been on a speed awareness course and they said that I didn't. Of course for all I know they wrote down that I'd asked but my insurance still says we both have a clean record.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts
Does the factory fitted unit have the fixed motorway cameras in it's database?
Unlikely I guess? Be interesting to know which cars (if any) do?

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The simplest thing is to not speed, ever, that way you don't get caught speeding.
If everyone could do this then the cameras would soon disapear as well. There is no way they would be kept once they become a burden rather than an income stream.

I have to say it's been a long time since I've seen anyone getting flashed by a camera, I wonder if there are any stats to show if the number of people getting caught is reducing?

·
10,630 Posts
I have to say it's been a long time since I've seen anyone getting flashed by a camera
Not all the Gatso units have cameras in them they usually rotate a camera round a number of Gatso sites and it wouldn't surprise me if the police have cut back on the number of live camera sites even more to save money.

Who is going to risk going past a Gatso over the limit, yoi would not know if there is a camera in it or not, what I usually see is people braking as they go past a Gatso then speeding up after they have past it.

I used to see a lot of flashes on the M25 but don't see it anymore, this might be down to the cameras being replaced by HADECs which don't flash.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Many are being removed and replaced by average speed cameras. It won't be long till there is no chance to speed anyway.
Not all the Gatso units have cameras in them they usually rotate a camera round a number of Gatso sites and it wouldn't surprise me if the police have cut back on the number of live camera sites even more to save money.

Who is going to risk going past a Gatso over the limit, yoi would not know if there is a camera in it or not, what I usually see is people braking as they go past a Gatso then speeding up after they have past it.

I used to see a lot of flashes on the M25 but don't see it anymore, this might be down to the cameras being replaced by HADECs which don't flash.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The points is one thing but the increased insurance premium is quite another. Although a speed awareness course is not classed as a conviction a lot of insurers have added a question that specifically asks if you’ve attended a speed awareness course.

If you've attended a speed awareness course, you’ll have to tell them the truth because lying on your insurance application would be classed as fraud and in the event of a claim could mean that your claim is declared invalid and you’d have to pay the cost of any damage and repairs yourself.

The police do not share information with insurance companies so it would be quite difficult for insurance companies to find out that you have attended but do you risk it.

Once you declare that you have attended a course the insurance company will load your premium for the a minimum of 3 years, more likely 5 years and that will cost you a lot more than £85:confused:
Surely if the actuaries had any confidence that Speed Awareness Courses affected driving habits, if anything, the premium ought to go down once they discover you've attended one of these courses. Otherwise, what's the point in them?

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Surely if the actuaries had any confidence that Speed Awareness Courses affected driving habits, if anything, the premium ought to go down once they discover you've attended one of these courses. Otherwise, what's the point in them?
They make two adjustments:
a) you got caught speeding so the premium rightly goes up a lot;
b) you attended a speed awareness course so the premium goes down again a little.

The second of these is optional: you could choose to pay the fine and take the larger hit on your insurance.
Technically the first of these is optional as well.

·
10,630 Posts
They make two adjustments:
a) you got caught speeding so the premium rightly goes up a lot;
b) you attended a speed awareness course so the premium goes down again a little.

The second of these is optional: you could choose to pay the fine and take the larger hit on your insurance.
Technically the first of these is optional as well.
Insurance companies don't like them because there is no record, the police do not disclose the information so they rely on people telling them and providing the usual insurance is void if not disclosed threats.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Insurance companies don't like them because there is no record, the police do not disclose the information so they rely on people telling them and providing the usual insurance is void if not disclosed threats.
This is off topic guys. Perhaps a thread in General Discussion would be better.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Seriously ?
Yes, this is a Golf GTE forum and a thread about adding speed camera data to the sat nav. Now half the thread is about the effect of points on car insurance. It's not very helpful for people looking at this thread for an answer to their question, is it?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Helpful to anyone who thinks adding speed cameras to their satnav gives them carte blanch to flount the law.
Yes, this is a Golf GTE forum and a thread about adding speed camera data to the sat nav. Now half the thread is about the effect of points on car insurance. It's not very helpful for people looking at this thread for an answer to their question, is it?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
If you want to see how much they add for a speeding conviction go onto one of the comparison sites and get a quote with and without points, last time I looked it was £60 but I'm guessing that has gone up so if you declare a speed awareness course it will cost you at least another £300 but that's a lot less than the hundreds of thousands it could cost you if your policy is declared invalid through non declaration.
It's not a great idea to start playing about on comparison sites. Trying multiple levels of no claims bonus or multiple occupations over a short period to see the effect on premiums can be flagged up as attempted fraud and may result in certain insurers not quoting or bumping up the premium they offer you.

Since it's very difficult to get away with having no insurance these days due to ANPR cameras high risk drivers are sometimes tempted to do whatever it takes to get a premium for the lowest possible price from price comparison sites. Some insurers run software that is designed to detect this. If you get automatically put on a fraud 'watch list' it could end up very expensive.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts