Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am hoping to pick up Kona EV on Saturday, 9 week old pre-reg 64Kw premium.
Can anyone confirm if it has a speed limiter as I can't find any reference anywhere?
What I refer to is the ability to set a speed, say 30, 40 or 50 and once set the car will not exceed it regardless of accelerator pedal position (other than stamp down).
I have become very used to this on my present Mazda.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
5,567 Posts

It's not quite as hard a limiter as some, I find it is quite easy to drift over the set speed just because your foot is a little heavy but there's a loud chime when that happens so you can lift your foot a bit.

·
Registered
Kona 64
712 Posts
Yes, you can set to limit or cruise from the same switch on the steering wheel . It toggles between off cruise and limit. Depends on your driving style as they can both achieve the same objective, Limit works but I find smart cruise control achieves the same objective, ie to avoid speeding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I thought it must be there. I guess the couple of manuals I found on line were for America or elsewhere, as there was no mention as shown here.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Thanks Duncan, that's very useful to have. Is it as supplied with a UK vehicle do you know?
Yes, I should have said. When you have your car you can create a MyHyundai account. The PDF manual is linked from that site as "My Handbook" so it should be correct for your particular car, that's the one I get for my car but there are no years or anything in the URL so I think it's for pretty much any UK Kona Electric.

The infotainment manual you get to from the infotainment system, there's a help screen which has a QR code for the manual so you scan it then transfer the link it gave to something that isn't a phone so you can actually read it.

Complicated, isn't it?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Worth noting that SCC will use friction braking to slow itself down on a hill etc but the limiter is dependent on regen (which should be more than enough anyway in an EV)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Worth noting that SCC will use friction braking to slow itself down on a hill etc but the limiter is dependent on regen (which should be more than enough anyway in an EV)
I'm not sure that is true, as when I come down Cheddar Gorge in Somerset using SCC, I can see the regen above the speed display and get 2 miles of range back (3 on a good day).

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'm not sure that is true, as when I come down Cheddar Gorge in Somerset using SCC, I can see the regen above the speed display and get 2 miles of range back (3 on a good day).
Correct. The limiter is basically the same system as the cruise control, just used in a different way.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Yes, what I meant is if the required deceleration exceeds the available regen, SCC can use the friction brakes but the speed limiter can’t.

But yeah you’d have to be on a cliff edge or something to see it

Reactions: Gadget Geek
1 - 13 of 13 Posts