Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching a Netflix show while charging and saw it was buffering a bit. I tried speedtest.net in the web browser and found I was getting around 3Mbps down. More interesting was that Speedtest.net thought I was located in Madrid and was using a Spanish mobile phone network. This was on a UK RHD Model 3.

1. Is anyone else showing Madrid / Spanish mobile networks?
  2. What sort of speeds are people getting on speedtest.net?
  3. Does anyone find the web browsing to be a bit... slow?

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
Because the provider is Telefonica. They still don’t bother to route through anywhere but Madrid.

Web browsing will never be great because it’s an open source browser kit I think.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Web browsing will never be great because it’s an open source browser kit I think.
That's not the reason. All popular browsers use open-source engines under the hood (reference). The only proprietary engine still in use is EdgeHTML, which Microsoft have now abandoned in favour of Blink.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
That's not the reason. All popular browsers use open-source engines under the hood (reference). The only proprietary engine still in use is EdgeHTML, which Microsoft have now abandoned in favour of Blink.
Indeed. But browser development ALWAYS get the back seat from Tesla.
We suffered a number of years with slow X11 due to graphic drivers which couldnt be upgraded because of the Kernel, once that was done the browser got a uptick - but it certainly is still lagging behind.

With the number of streaming options increasing in the near future it will automatically suggest that it'll get better some - but never expect it to be fantastic.

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
It is in this particular case, because of the version they used. Go check it if you like and tell us what you think.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It is in this particular case, because of the version they used. Go check it if you like and tell us what you think.
Due to the version, though, not a symptom of being open-source. I'm not denying it may be slow, just challenging the implied cause. Wouldn't want people to absorb an "open source == slow" message.

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
Due to the version, though, not a symptom of being open-source. I'm not denying it may be slow, just challenging the implied cause. Wouldn't want people to absorb an "open source == slow" message.
Yes, but I didn’t say that. You just decided to infer it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
To be fair to @Troon you did say

Web browsing will never be great because it’s an open source browser kit
suggesting a problem of the in-car browsing experience was a result of it being open source

1 - 11 of 11 Posts