Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'll admit that when I first looked at the Chevy Volt I was a bit confused why they'd put a "sports" mode on it. Surely everyone that buys one is a tree hugging eco nut that would never think of using it? And with a range of 40-50 miles you cant afford to waste any joules, Right?

Well, I got my Volt nearly 2 weeks ago, and have been loving how took it is in "normal" mode, whilst trying to see how far I can eek out the battery. And it's pretty nippy!

Well, I just had to pop to the supermarket this evening, and had a range of 20 miles for that 4 mile journey, so I thought I'd push the Sports Mode button. WOW! That thing doesn't half kick! I was blown away! And not just accelerating at low speed either.

I understand now what that button is for. It's for those times when you don't need to go far and you've got charger access at each end, and you want a big silly grin on your face! I love it!

Thank you Chevrolet! :-D

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You got it :) The EV grin....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, dat troo!

Monday to Friday I enjoy playing the game of seeing how economically I can drive, and getting as many miles left after my 39 mile commute as possible.

But weekends I can now see myself playing the game where I see just how short I can make the battery range :-D

·
Registered
167 Posts
The sport mode is a very enjoyable feature. I use it mainly for overtaking and when the aggressive driver pulls up along side me with engine throbbing at the traffic lights. I just love the look on their faces as they pull in behind me as I continue to obey the speed limit in front of them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
So if I'm allowed (at my own risk of course) to revive a practically ancient thread... I test drove a Volt today (for the 1st time) as I'm considering switching my Leaf 24kw for one, its done over 130k miles, but having seen the video of the famous 400k mile Volt in the USA which apparently hasnt suffered any loss of power of the like, that didn't put me off.

I did wonder though with all this talk of sport mode 'putting a grin' on your face if something might be up with the one I tried? Compared to switching the Leaf out of eco mode (which turns it into a near hot hatch IMO) I'd go so far as to say it felt a fair bit slower than the Leaf even when practically flooring it. I don't understand why though if the Volt is working fine - given its 0-60 time is a few seconds less than the Leaf's?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Switching out of Eco in a Leaf remaps the accelerator pedal and gives it access to about 20(?) more bhp. The Volt just remaps the accelerator, there is no extra power, so maybe there just isn't the difference you are used to in the Leaf?
We have both in the household and the Volt is certainly quicker!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was underwhelmed on my first Ampera test drive but I didn't know a lot about it then ( - still don't!!) but I think it was in mountain mode which probably isn't as quick.

Now, as an owner, I do treat myself to a blast of sport mode occasionally. I still grin.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Strange, I tried a few times (though it is possible that with the chap selling the car sitting next to me I was being a more timid with the pedal than I thought!) but it just didn't seem to have much urgency. I guess if there was a fault with the drive system it would show on the dash. Shame there aren't more around to try another one for comparison's sake.

Now it's just a matter of working out if an out of warranty 130k Volt is a good idea, though judging by the effort some have had to go to make Vauxhall pay out for items that are covered (bearing failure) it almost seems pointless paying extra for a fight!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
See if you can try an Ampera, there is probably someone from manchester on here who may take you out in theirs., its the same apart from the nose ;)
Ah Sport mode bit of fun when there are electrons to spare.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bought a used 2012 Ampera with 82000 miles on it so it is probably without any warranty at all. Got a good price so I went for it. Best car I've driven so far (been a hard Mercedes fan until now) but due to the winter I haven't been able to test the acceleration etc. properly but it feels like a lot of oomph even in the standard mode. Your best bet would be to test another one to compare before buying, just so everything is ok.
Never thought I'd say it but I now prefer riding the Ampera over my E320 estate...:whistle:
Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for all the tips/advice - I'm definitely going to have to try another to compare, it does sound like the one I tried was lacking some zip, but strange as to why it would be. (TBH I prefer the look of the Ampera anyway), but I have a very tight budget so i'm essentially limited to high mileage examples as and when they crop up, I don't think it would be right of me to try a low mileage car i'd have no intention of buying just for comparative purposes!

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
@modo you need to be in EV mode only for the extra Sport power as if the engine is running, the electronics can't use the generator and motor combined for full power.
Its a very clever use of the generator which is sitting idle for EV driving as it gets used to add a third extra power to the motor for the hot hatch days. :rolleyes::LOL:

·
Registered
289 Posts
@Russ Thanks for your post - (I actually had a call from the garage selling the car today with some info I requested so I am still considering it.)
When I drove it all I could find to change was the 'drive mode' button underneath the 'leaf' button - I tried all the modes including sport which I found made little difference to acceleration, car had plenty charge - so wouldn't that mean it was in EV mode? I had possibly just been in hold or mountain mode before switching to sport - is there a significant delay before engine would change back modes?

Can't work out if i'd be crazy to take on a car like this with 130k miles - on the one hand its a bargain for the tech on-board and depreciation already suffered - but this over-engineered talk better be true!

·
Registered
642 Posts
It's all about managing risk, the reason we all get so hot under the collar about the warranty is that if the electric drive or controls fail the bills could be eye watering so key is managing that risk. it needs to be really low cost to make it worth the risk. find out what kind of warranty if any the dealer can provide and put a few quid down the back of the sofa just in case if you go ahead with it.

·
Super Moderator
6,341 Posts
@Russ Thanks for your post - (I actually had a call from the garage selling the car today with some info I requested so I am still considering it.)
When I drove it all I could find to change was the 'drive mode' button underneath the 'leaf' button - I tried all the modes including sport which I found made little difference to acceleration, car had plenty charge - so wouldn't that mean it was in EV mode? I had possibly just been in hold or mountain mode before switching to sport - is there a significant delay before engine would change back modes?

Can't work out if i'd be crazy to take on a car like this with 130k miles - on the one hand its a bargain for the tech on-board and depreciation already suffered - but this over-engineered talk better be true!
You can see it in the dash...bottom right corner if I remember correctly......When I test drove I didn't switch model properly to start with, when you have worked it out the car goes like stink.....

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's all about managing risk
I'll have another test drive me thinks.

Won't be getting a warranty its not being sold by a main dealer, just a small but very friendly car trader. But car has full main dealer service history up to 130k.

I think it's safe to say that no one has experienced failure of the drive system (bearing issue aside) of any sort - correct me if I'm wrong?! With a good number of cars on the road including the US that would seem to imply its not as risky as its complex build makes it sound. At least thats what I'll be praying if I go for it!

·
Registered
642 Posts
You are not wrong failures are rare, one member had to have a control unit replaced its on here somewhere about 1K covered under warranty so as I said must be cheap and a 3rd party warranty might be a good investment if you can find one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I normally go into Chancellor Palpatine mode when I floor it, just in normal mode as well. You know the bit where he is fighting Mace Windu and he suddenly electrocutes him whilst shouting ‘Unlimited Power’? I normally shout ‘Instant Power’ in the same tone as him! :LOL::LOL::LOL::D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts