Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a visit to JLR today as part of a History of Gaydon airfield tour.
We weren't allowed to take phones with cameras etc due to commercial sensitivity.
All manner of coupes to 4x4s covered in camouflage as seen on the roads there occasionally.

Spotted a line of half a dozen sleek big jaguars, not sure of the model but they all had 87 mpg written on their sides as if ready for dealerships. The words hybrid and electric were just visible as we were whisked past to see the V bomber control tower.

Next of interest here was a tiny short I MIEV clone, A TATA product from India, not sure it will ever be approved for UK roads though as far as I could glean but there is an electric version apparently.

Final point of interest was a very Jaguar like looking gun metal grey saloon in the car park near the test track which I totally ignored until.... an eagle eyed occupant in the car piped up and said I think that was a Tesla we just passed. Sure enough it was a model S!

There is plenty of scope for electifying their best selling school run products, Defender and Range Rover:p, with an all up weight of 2.5 tonnes you could get a lot of batteries under there and add to the tilt angle capability for when mounting high Kerbs on double yellow lines to park outside the hair dresser's and nail bar;).

60K 7 seat Defender was a greatly impressive bit of kit on the off road track though I must say.
For the extra 20K on a Range Rover Sport (Oxymoron?)you could buy a shell suit in every colour and a gold medallion to put the mayor to shame.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Had a visit to JLR today as part of a History of Gaydon airfield tour.
We weren't allowed to take phones with cameras etc due to commercial sensitivity.
All manner of coupes to 4x4s covered in camouflage as seen on the roads there occasionally.

Spotted a line of half a dozen sleek big jaguars, not sure of the model but they all had 87 mpg written on their sides as if ready for dealerships. Thde words hybrid and electric were kust visible as we were whisked past to see the V bomber control tower.

Next of interest here was a tiny mini short I MIEV clone, A TATA product from India, not sure it will ever be approved for UK roads though as far as I could glean but there is an electric version apparently.

Final point of interest was a very Jaguar like looking gun metal grey saloon in the car park near the test track which I totally ignored until.... an eagle eyed occupant in the car piped up and said I think that was a Tesla we just passed. Sure enough it was a model S!

There is plenty of scope for electifying their best selling school run products, Defender and Range Rover:p, with an all up weight of 2.5 tonnes you could get a lot of batteries under there and add to the tilt angle capeability for when mounting high Kerbs on double yellow lines to park outside the hair dressers and nail bar;).

60K 7 seat Defender was a greatly impressive bit of kit on the off road track though I must say.
For the extra 20K on a Range Rover Sport (Oxymoron?)you could buy a shell suit in every colour and a gold medallion to put the mayor to shame.
Reminds me of the Tata Indica Vista ev
planned for the uk a few years back but postponed. Still planned from what I could see from a confused wikipedia entry.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reminds me of the Tata Indica Vista ev
planned for the uk a few years back but postponed. Still planned from what I could see from a confused wikipedia entry.
Yes it wasn't that bigger car though, it was one of these;

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Yes absolutely a much bigger car. The name just reminded me they were all set to be sold then went off the radar.

Maybe this smaller car is why, a change of direction?

Tata in India were talking about a $1, 000 dollar car. Be great if they have found a way to make a low cost ev. But
hard to see how without new battery tech.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes absolutely a much bigger car. The name just reminded me they were all set to be sold then went off the radar.

Maybe this smaller car is why, a change of direction?

Tata in India were talking about a $1, 000 dollar car. Be great if they have found a way to make a low cost ev. But
hard to see how without new battery tech.
Yes a figire of £1000 was mentioned for the indian market today unofficial of course.
Apparently it is so basic and light it is having difficulty passing European safety requirements ie won't defend occupants when hit by a 2.5 ton "Defender" on the way to the nail bar.

Come to think of it "Defender" badge should only be allowed on the inside for the occupants to see, outside it should say something more appropriate like Planet Popping Road Attack Tank Superior or bacronym P.R.A.T.S for short:p

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
There is plenty of scope for electifying their best selling school run products, Defender and Range Rover:p,
I have a friend who is an engineer at JLR. He worked on prototype battery EV Defender. I think they built about half a dozen of them. Unlikely to see production because of range and cost. However they did make good test mules for the engineers. ( HINT HINT )

90% of the Defenders here on Anglsey are driven by farmers.

We came close to joining the 10%. The road out to where we used to live floods several times a year. Defender with a wading kit is about the only thing available that has the required fording depth.

Then we drove a 110 station wagon on the A55.

"If you start to float, try every gear available including reverse"

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"If you start to float, try every gear available including reverse"
If you started to float you forgot to engage brain first:p.

Yes we could use one in our hilly rural area where 90% are used by commuters.

But in the last 20 years it would have been necessary about 20 days assuming you don't like taking a day off to enjoy the snow.

I really think they could have a market with a full BEV 4x4, after all range isn't usually a problem on the school run.

But of course it wouldn't need a big snorkle intake pipe so nobody who likes that option would buy one:p:D!

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
If you started to float you forgot to engage brain first:p.

Yes we could use one in our hilly rural area where 90% are used by commuters.

But in the last 20 years it would have been necessary about 20 days assuming you don't like taking a day off to enjoy the snow.

I really think they could have a market with a full BEV 4x4, after all range isn't usually a problem on the school run.

But of course it wouldn't need a big snorkle intake pipe so nobody who likes that option would buy one:p:D!

A little bit unkind to the 4x4 market, I agree the Chelsea tractor is madness and needs taxing out of existence.
On the flip side I tow regually and could not do that without a 4x4, if you have ever pulled a trailer off of wet grass you will know what I mean. I had a friend who used to rib me constantly about my Navara untill one winter a few years back he slid into a ditch. Guess who gets the ribbing now:D and yes of course he rang me and I pulled him out.

I would love a commercial large 4x4 PHEV my ideal vehicle would be a direct replacement for my Transporter 4Motion, In fact if someone brought out a PHEV Transporter sized van then I would probably get that and replace the Volt with a Outlander.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts