Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 month old Ampera has started to develop a squeaky noise. This only seems to happen when I reverse off the drive, which is a slight incline upwards. It sounds like the rear brakes may be rubbing. Anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Do you do many miles ?
My wife's Astra has a slight grate/grind from the brakes if it stands still for a couple of days, as it only does 5000 miles a year at the best of times .....

·
Registered
456 Posts
My stepfather had it on his Jaguar, the small chip been stuck between disc and brake pad. The squeaky noise was only in reversing and even when not braking.

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
224 Posts
My Ampera makes a faint squeaking that I notice when reversing out of the drive. I think it's the brakes catching (slightly). Nothing to worry about - and it's only because the car is SO quiet that I notice it in the first place.
Strangely though, it's fine (and dead quiet) when rolling forward....

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Does the sound come from the rear of the car for sure? Reverse only noise is not uncommon for foreign body trapped between cover plate and disc. I would only worry if it could be coming from the planetary gearbox which sounds unlikely if you are suspecting rear brakes. Physical inspection would prove the point.

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
224 Posts
Checked today with the windows open.... Not a squeak (or a kaeuqs either)
it must have been gravel caught up in a disc... Aah, blissful silence again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts