Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wing mirror has been squeaking when they fold in for about a week now.....

What is the best solution, if you have had a similar issue?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
There's some oiling/greasing options but at lot of people seem to get a warranty replacement.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Both mine squeaked after ca 9 months - mentioned it at first service and fully expected them to say warranty replacement. They actually cleaned and relubed both mine at service, clearly did a good job as no issues in 10months and 12k miles. I think if they can be bothered to open up the mirror and properly lube the internals then its a perfectly good fix - i think some deelers have been lazy, squirted some lube at them externally and then when the owner complains a second time they replace on warranty.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Fully tilt the mirror down so you can just see inside the housing. Look for the pivot point at the back corner. Squirt some silicone WD40 around it, and wipe off any excess oil that drips out. Takes 5mins each side.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Or you could just live with it?
A little squeak when the mirrors fold is nothing. How often do you fold the mirrors anyway?
On the 30 kWh model, every time you lock or power up the car. It's not just a little squeak either, it is a protracted grinding/groaning noise for as long as it takes the mirrors to fold and unfold. It gets annoying and shouldn't occur on a two year old car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
On the 30 kWh model, every time you lock or power up the car. It's not just a little squeak either, it is a protracted grinding/groaning noise for as long as it takes the mirrors to fold and unfold. It gets annoying and shouldn't occur on a two year old car.
If there was an option to switch off the fold I would as it is painful to hear

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fully tilt the mirror down so you can just see inside the housing. Look for the pivot point at the back corner. Squirt some silicone WD40 around it, and wipe off any excess oil that drips out. Takes 5mins each side.
I tried this tip yesterday. It worked. . Definitely less squeak/groan now. Let's see how long it'll last.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,618 Posts
It's not automatic on mine, but I still fold them every time I park otherwise I wouldn't have them when I got back.

It's clearly a design fault and unacceptable really...my car started doing it at 11 months!

·
Registered
9 Posts
This also worked for me, squirting at the pivot point top and bottom.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My 2016 30kWh Tekna has mirrors that only fold when the button is pressed. They've been like that since I bought the car, no idea if there's a setting. I've never looked for it since I don't like auto-folding mirrors anyway.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
My 2016 30kWh Tekna has mirrors that only fold when the button is pressed. They've been like that since I bought the car, no idea if there's a setting. I've never looked for it since I don't like auto-folding mirrors anyway.
It became standard from about April 2017 on the 30s.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts