Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have noticed a rattle/sqeak developng from somewhere towards the front dashboard under the windscreen. It is noticeable when everything is turned off and the car travels over mild bumps.
At first I thought it was perhaps twigs that had got into the water drain area in front of the windscreen. Its annoying as once you have noticed it you cant help listening for it.
Anyhow I have just done some investigation on my drive way and discovered that if you grab the roof bar( either side) and rock the car you can recreate this squeaky noise that is coming somewhere from the lower windscreen area on both sides of the car. When I opened the door and poked my head inside it whilst rocking the car it confirmed that this is the noise I am hearing.

Anyone else had this problem?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
Its been mentioned on the facebook group. Several (3 or 4) members have this. Only happens though in certain weather condition too, namely cold? Sounds very much like a failed windscreen bonding. Its being investigated on at least one owners car, the other owners haven't reported it yet aside from the FB mention.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds very much like a failed windscreen bonding
Now thats interesting because I have been a little suspicious that water is getting in when it shouldnt as the car often mists up more so than previous cars I have owned.
I think I will be returning to my dealer in the near future.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
@Flyingstoo sounds like a good explanation. a small number people have reported that their cars are very slow to demist and fog up easily, whilst most other owners say demisting is quick and effective.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have this annoying rattle/vibration that starts on the left hand side of the windscreen when cold and moves round to above the driver when warm. Pretty certain it's something to do with the windscreen not seated properly. Sounds like loose pieces of plastic vibrating. It seems to be getting worse too.
Rather noisy today and I first posted about this before xmas.
Good to hear I'm not alone on this, but it shouldn't be there in a car so young.
Will be taking this up my my dealer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
At the bottom of the A pillar trims where they interface with the dash plastic.

Try packing a few pieces of folded paper into the gaps.

Business cards are perfect for this.

Made a world of differnce to mine,

Let us know how you get on?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have noticed the windscreen rattle only three times in just under 3 months of ownership. It appears to happen in cold dry weather. I did try and reposition the plastic covers on the A pillars. The left one seemed to be well fitted but the right pillar cover was quite loose. Will have to see if that makes any difference in the long run but it has not re-occured in the last week.

As for misting, I find the de-mister very quick and efficient but we all have had some pretty extreme wet and damp conditions in the past few weeks. I find that a small area at bottom right hand corner of the windscreen does not seem to clear quickly at all. It appears the de-mister flow does not seem as powerful on that area, or could be something to do with the loose A pillar cover?

I have purchased an AirDry Classic Dehumidifier from Halfords. Helps a lot and may be useful for keeping moisture from affecting any electronics.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
So apparently another member had reported this to a garage, the mechanic had seen something similar on another brand and set to work. Apparently it was to do with some plastic moulding, either inside or outside not sure, which they removed and then placed some felt pads down before remounting better and this stopped the creaking instantly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Sandy... any chance of getting more specific detail about which platic moulding or even better pictures. My problem disapears in extreme cold ie when the car is frosted up but as it thaws the creak reappears when the car is rocked using the roof bars when stationery or due to bumps in the road when moving.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
Thanks Sandy... any chance of getting more specific detail about which platic moulding or even better pictures. My problem disapears in extreme cold ie when the car is frosted up but as it thaws the creak reappears when the car is rocked using the roof bars when stationery or due to bumps in the road when moving.

This is all I have to go on. Extracted from the post on FB.

I don't get my MG until next month. Hope this helps.

"Malcolm Perrins
19 hrs
Happy day today. Took car into Richmonds Southampton, this was partially for the update for the sleep/delayed charging issue, but mostly to see if they could fix the bizarre rustling sound (bit like playing with a space blanket) that had started a few weeks ago from the dash/windscreen area. Took their technician on a drive to demonstrate and whilst he knew about some windscreen creak issues in other cars, he had never heard this rustling sound before, so said he would need to discuss with MG technical. Had their courtesy car for the day (OK an ICE..) and collected car after they had done both the charging update (not yet tested) but had discovered the rustling was from the scuttle (plastic trim, outside and beneath the windscreen wipers) was not being fully bedded, so he refixed and added felt type spacers. Result no noise, absolutely delighted. So big thanks to Richmond MG Southampton. Now hoping the Rolec may now talk to the new MG software...
"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got my teeth into this one now.........I have discovered that (on my car ) there is a silicon rubber strip that seals the gap between the windscreen and the plastic water catchment tray underneath the wipers. if you loosen off the plastic tray retaining screws it is possbile to get the strip out. I cleaned the glass where the strip makes contact with the windscreen and then applied a silicon lubricant to this rubber strip to lubricate the joint with the windscreen and then replaced the strip. After reassembly the creak noise has disappeared. If with the bonnet open you pull on the water catchment tray in the centre you can see the movement of the rubber strip against the windscreen and there is still some sqeaking noise but much reduced.
I will monitor things over the next few days but I do think this is the likely cause of the noise.
In any other car you would probably never notice it but the MG is so quiet that these small noises are more apparent.

I did look at the pillar to dash board trim as a possible cause but could not prove anything there.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Got my teeth into this one now.........I have discovered that (on my car ) there is a silicon rubber strip that seals the gap between the windscreen and the plastic water catchment tray underneath the wipers. if you loosen off the plastic tray retaining screws it is possbile to get the strip out. I cleaned the glass where the strip makes contact with the windscreen and then applied a silicon lubricant to this rubber strip to lubricate the joint with the windscreen and then replaced the strip. After reassembly the creak noise has disappeared. If with the bonnet open you pull on the water catchment tray in the centre you can see the movement of the rubber strip against the windscreen and there is still some sqeaking noise but much reduced.
I will monitor things over the next few days but I do think this is the likely cause of the noise.
In any other car you would probably never notice it but the MG is so quiet that these small noises are more apparent.

I did look at the pillar to dash board trim as a possible cause but could not prove anything there.
Brilliant diagnostic work @Flyingstoo .
Only the other day I noticed a creaking noise coming from right in front of the steering wheel, but it did sound like something was rubbing against the glass.
The creaking was more noticeable when the car going over a rough surface or straddling a speed bump when the body of the car flexed.
It is the penalty of the manufactures of EV's I am afraid, building the car to a very high standard is necessary because the car is so silent.
Even the smallest sound can be heard STRAIGHT away !.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
@Flyingstoo just one of the reasons you should get on the FB group. You could have resolved this sooner. ;)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,135 Posts
Dont like Face Book .....can I view it as a non member?
I don't like going to dealers for servicing, but needs must! ;)

I'm not saying you have to "use" facebook as a whole, just the fact there is a very active and generally positive MG ZS EV Group there. What you miss out by not being a member is whats important not a deep rooted dislike of "facebook".

·
Registered
72 Posts
My car has just developed a faint squeak in the last few days at the front of the screen. As soon as the weather breaks I’ll have a look at the catchment tray as I have a feeling it’s the same problem. The cars so quite if the musics off you could hear an ant walking across the dash.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I have the same issue :(
Me also !.
I intend to investigate the rubber gasket against the front windscreen theory as soon as we can get a break in the poor weather conditions !.
We where out in the car yesterday, and the rain & wind was terrible.
But even when the weather improved for a very short time, I did not detect the creaking / rattling noise yesterday.
I do think the condition is affected by the ambient temperature though ?.
It is noticeable when the body flexes when going over an uneven surface or when mounting speed bumps with just one side or other of the car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have not had the problem return since I used the silicon lubricant. However it may be possible to spray something like WD40 along the bottom of the windscreen where the rubber strip is and get the same affect. I am going to cancel my garage appointment and have a word with the MG tech guy and explain what I have found. The problem is the result of the dry rubber moving against the glass windscreen and when it has dried out it causes the squeak so it is likely weather affected

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I have not had the problem return since I used the silicon lubricant. However it may be possible to spray something like WD40 along the bottom of the windscreen where the rubber strip is and get the same affect. I am going to cancel my garage appointment and have a word with the MG tech guy and explain what I have found. The problem is the result of the dry rubber moving against the glass windscreen and when it has dried out it causes the squeak so it is likely weather affected
Glad you have found a fix for the problem.
My car suffers in the same way.
Went out this morning, when slowly mounting and dismounting the speed bumps outside of the school, you could clearly hear one side creak then the other as the body flexes.
WD40 may give a very short term fix, because it is not a lubricant.
Some thing worth considering is a silicon spray maybe ?.
If it has a nozzle, it could be tucked behind the rubber and sprayed that way.
I feel your method of applying the silicone grease to the back of the rubber gasket is a better long term solution to be fair !.
When the weather improves I intend to do the same to my car.
Thanks for the great tip !.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts