Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yeah mine been doing that as well. Kind of annoying special as vehicle is generally very quiet when driving at low speed.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
My brakes also squeak in reverse.

I asked the dealership to check everything was OK when my car was in to replace the TCU and they basically said there wasn't much they could do.

I'm not particularly bothered that they squeak so long as it's not caused by some underlying issue that would reduce their effectiveness in an emergency. They confirmed there wasn't a safety issue so I left it at that.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Snap! :) Didn't at first but in the last batch of weird snow, hail, rain, ice, steam from roads after snow when bright sunshine comes out weather it has started.

J

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Ours too, but only when the car first starts off, oddly. After it's been driven for a bit it se ms to go away.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
When safe to do so. Get it up to a reasonabke speed then do an emergency stop in reverse, the problem will go away :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
WE have this - seems a bit silly as we reverse silently out of the garage not disturbing the neighbours - except every touch of the brake produces a hideous squeal....

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yeah same here I leave before 6 am and try to keep it quiet but the breaks squealing every time before car stops when reversing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's the rain. I have had a Leaf for over 3 years and it took me a while to work this one out. Driving in the wet the brakes don't get dried out the way conventional ones do as most braking is done with regen. Damp brakes overnight seize up slightly causing the squealing in the morning when reversing.

It helps to use a bit of accelerator and brake pedal at the same time right at the end of the journey.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If Carlsberg built EVs, they would write a program that knew that it is wet (wind scren wiper sensors) then gently massage the brakes a few hundred metres before you got home (From GPS).

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
If Fosters made EV's they would install a music system designed to cover up all sounds made by the movement of the car, resulting in a massive headache when you got home.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Or you could drive an ICE, which already solves this problem...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Reviving an old thread on a subject that still exists, not only do my brakes squeal loudly in reverse on first movement, but they do it whether braking is applied or not. Today I was reversing out of a parking spot in a small car park and the car did not 'creep' with no accelerator applied as it usually does. I had to apply a little power and it then 'unstuck' and moved backwards abruptly. This can be dangerous in a confined space and I assume that it is connected with the 'first-movement' squeal problem. As my car is parked overnight on a slight slope, I am loath to risk using PARK alone to avoid sticking parking brake linings. Also, because I charge the car when it's parked I cannot reverse park it overnight because the charging lead won't reach.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Before you move off or release the parking brake, try applying slight forward power so that the car "strains" against the parking brake a bit, before releasing parking brake, shifting into reverse and then moving off.

If my experience is at all representative you may find that the car then doesn't squeal when reversing. Please report here the result...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'll try that when I have parked a little farther from the garage roller door. I don't fancy paying for a new roller door when the brake is overcome by the motor! Joking apart, though, that sounds like a good idea thank you, and I shall report back.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Probably you have a pad seized in the carrier. After a drive check to see if one of the wheels is warm to the touch. I had this, easily solved by removing the pads, clean up the pad ears and the carrier,remove the stainless inserts and clean both sides thoroughly. Reassemble and your should be good.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Before you move off or release the parking brake, try applying slight forward power so that the car "strains" against the parking brake a bit, before releasing parking brake, shifting into reverse and then moving off.

If my experience is at all representative you may find that the car then doesn't squeal when reversing. Please report here the result...
Beware of this type of issue - something similar happened to Volvo's 15 years ago and the friction material would seize onto the inside of the drum, and pulling away would cause the material to break away from the shoes before wrapping itself around the shoe causing the shoe to contact directly with the drum often scrapping the whole hub. :eek: Forcing the car to "break" the friction material away from the drum by straining the car against the parking brake often caused the final failure of the bond from the material to the shoes.

You need to establish whether the issue is the disc brakes (sticking as advised elsewhere) or the drum parking brake - try leaving the parking brake off overnight and see if the issue still occurs.

Duncan

1 - 20 of 29 Posts