Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Beware of this type of issue - something similar happened to Volvo's 15 years ago and the friction material would seize onto the inside of the drum, and pulling away would cause the material to break away from the shoes before wrapping itself around the shoe causing the shoe to contact directly with the drum often scrapping the whole hub. :eek: Forcing the car to "break" the friction material away from the drum by straining the car against the parking brake often caused the final failure of the bond from the material to the shoes.

You need to establish whether the issue is the disc brakes (sticking as advised elsewhere) or the drum parking brake - try leaving the parking brake off overnight and see if the issue still occurs.

Duncan
Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had cause to replace shoes on my daughter's old Bedford CF camper because of loss of bond between shoe and lining, so I know it happens.

I shall shove a chock under it next time I park it and leave the brake off and see. Again, thanks chaps!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hi, had my leaf in for first service today and got them to check my squealing brakes in reverse and they said it is common since they took the asbestos out of the brake pads.
Yes mine does this too. More so when its damp. The issue is with the parking brake (which are shoes). I stripped mine down, cleaned up the linings (which had plenty of meat on them), and the problem went away for about 3 months or so - then came back.

I have not tried doing an emergency stop in reverse my gut feeling is it will not do any good.

It keeps passing the MOT, so not worried.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Yes mine does this too. More so when its damp.
Agreed. Suspect slight rusting on drums, so try and apply parking brake when moving forwards so that parking brake linings clean off the rust. - Tried using the parking brake to stop on a steep descent (after all it is the emergency secondary braking system) and found it was struggling to stop me, so had the brakes adjusted by my local mechanic.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In this morning's drizzle my Leaf's brakes made a God-awful racket in a supermarket car park as I reversed out of a parking space. People looked round expecting to see some alien monster out of War of the Worlds! It was difficult to reverse as the brakes were binding badly too. i have to break out the wide brimmed hat, dark glasses, and false beard or my neighbours will see me. :oops:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine does it too, a groan/squeal in reverse - intermittent, sometimes doesn't do it at all, sometimes quite noticable.

I actually try to use the parking brake as little as i can. Fortunately my drive is completely flat to i usually just put it in park. Similar at work, if i can get parked on the flat, i'll usually just use Park.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Had this, suspected rust/dust on the brake drum, so applied the parking brake when rolling (forwards) down a hill and this seems to have cured it - there was a clunk on the first brake application going down the hill so maybe something was sticking in a brake drum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Interesting that you say that HTD, I have tried the same thing but have not yet evaluated the outcome. When I did press the pedal all sorts of admonishments burst from the car's systems and I wondered whether I might be given 400v up my orificium fundamentalis! Anyway, thanks for the tip. (y)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Had this, suspected rust/dust on the brake drum, so applied the parking brake when rolling (forwards) down a hill and this seems to have cured it - there was a clunk on the first brake application going down the hill so maybe something was sticking in a brake drum.
Interesting that you say that HTD, I have tried the same thing but have not yet evaluated the outcome. When I did press the pedal all sorts of admonishments burst from the car's systems and I wondered whether I might be given 400v up my orificium fundamentalis! Anyway, thanks for the tip. (y)
I had the same problem over the past couple of years - on each annual service they claimed to have cleaned the drums and stated there was over 70% life left in the rear pads. During the summer months I also lightly used the foot parking brake pedal to gently apply braking pressure while still driving along...I did this on 2 or 3 occasions repeatedly once after the other (also had the beeping from the warning system) and it appears to have cured the problem. For the last 3-4 months I've had no repetition of rear brake squeal in reverse. All I can think of it's worn off a glaze on the pad surface.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts