Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Beware of this type of issue - something similar happened to Volvo's 15 years ago and the friction material would seize onto the inside of the drum, and pulling away would cause the material to break away from the shoes before wrapping itself around the shoe causing the shoe to contact directly with the drum often scrapping the whole hub. :eek: Forcing the car to "break" the friction material away from the drum by straining the car against the parking brake often caused the final failure of the bond from the material to the shoes.

You need to establish whether the issue is the disc brakes (sticking as advised elsewhere) or the drum parking brake - try leaving the parking brake off overnight and see if the issue still occurs.

Duncan
Thanks for the heads-up.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had cause to replace shoes on my daughter's old Bedford CF camper because of loss of bond between shoe and lining, so I know it happens.

I shall shove a chock under it next time I park it and leave the brake off and see. Again, thanks chaps!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hi, had my leaf in for first service today and got them to check my squealing brakes in reverse and they said it is common since they took the asbestos out of the brake pads.
Yes mine does this too. More so when its damp. The issue is with the parking brake (which are shoes). I stripped mine down, cleaned up the linings (which had plenty of meat on them), and the problem went away for about 3 months or so - then came back.

I have not tried doing an emergency stop in reverse my gut feeling is it will not do any good.

It keeps passing the MOT, so not worried.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Yes mine does this too. More so when its damp.
Agreed. Suspect slight rusting on drums, so try and apply parking brake when moving forwards so that parking brake linings clean off the rust. - Tried using the parking brake to stop on a steep descent (after all it is the emergency secondary braking system) and found it was struggling to stop me, so had the brakes adjusted by my local mechanic.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In this morning's drizzle my Leaf's brakes made a God-awful racket in a supermarket car park as I reversed out of a parking space. People looked round expecting to see some alien monster out of War of the Worlds! It was difficult to reverse as the brakes were binding badly too. i have to break out the wide brimmed hat, dark glasses, and false beard or my neighbours will see me. :oops:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine does it too, a groan/squeal in reverse - intermittent, sometimes doesn't do it at all, sometimes quite noticable.

I actually try to use the parking brake as little as i can. Fortunately my drive is completely flat to i usually just put it in park. Similar at work, if i can get parked on the flat, i'll usually just use Park.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Had this, suspected rust/dust on the brake drum, so applied the parking brake when rolling (forwards) down a hill and this seems to have cured it - there was a clunk on the first brake application going down the hill so maybe something was sticking in a brake drum.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Interesting that you say that HTD, I have tried the same thing but have not yet evaluated the outcome. When I did press the pedal all sorts of admonishments burst from the car's systems and I wondered whether I might be given 400v up my orificium fundamentalis! Anyway, thanks for the tip. (y)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
343 Posts
Had this, suspected rust/dust on the brake drum, so applied the parking brake when rolling (forwards) down a hill and this seems to have cured it - there was a clunk on the first brake application going down the hill so maybe something was sticking in a brake drum.
Interesting that you say that HTD, I have tried the same thing but have not yet evaluated the outcome. When I did press the pedal all sorts of admonishments burst from the car's systems and I wondered whether I might be given 400v up my orificium fundamentalis! Anyway, thanks for the tip. (y)
I had the same problem over the past couple of years - on each annual service they claimed to have cleaned the drums and stated there was over 70% life left in the rear pads. During the summer months I also lightly used the foot parking brake pedal to gently apply braking pressure while still driving along...I did this on 2 or 3 occasions repeatedly once after the other (also had the beeping from the warning system) and it appears to have cured the problem. For the last 3-4 months I've had no repetition of rear brake squeal in reverse. All I can think of it's worn off a glaze on the pad surface.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is the price you pay for barely using the rear brakes. I put the parking brake slightly on while reversing just enough to add some friction to the brake pads and it does the trick, the car will bleep to tell you its on which helps remind you to take it off again before you drive away. The squeeking I believe is a vibration and you can reduce this by having a vibration damper pad or compound (probably copper grease) put on the back of the pads at your next service. What they would charge for this I've no idea?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mine went in to the local Nissan dealer's today for the earth plate recall. They reported that the n/s rear wheel was binding and could not be rotated by hand. I declined any investigation for now. I shall strip the rear brakes and look into it myself when I feel inclined.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Following advice from another Leaf owner - perhaps on here, or maybe on MyNissanLeaf.com - I drove along our road for about a quarter of a mile with the parking brake partly applied. Next time I parked I used the parking brake and when I reversed... blessed silence!
Time will tell how long this remedy works for and I shall report accordingly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was told that the squealing was just normal corrosion due to lack of use. Not unsafe or anything to worry about in my case. Hope the mechanic was right.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Voltic, if it was 'only' the squeal I would live with it, but it binds as it gets worse and makes reversing difficult because it needs more loud pedal to get the car to even move at all. Then if, and it has happened, the brake releases suddenly the car can career backwards into something/someone.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Voltic, if it was 'only' the squeal I would live with it, but it binds as it gets worse and makes reversing difficult because it needs more loud pedal to get the car to even move at all. Then if, and it has happened, the brake releases suddenly the car can career backwards into something/someone.
Same for me. Mine was also squeaking and then got sticky in the really wet weather in December. Would be fine starting going forward but reversing out of a space was difficult if the car had been driven in the wet.
Dabbing the park brake on a bit and driving a few yards up the road a couple of times cleaned it up for me too.
It’s been a month without squeaking and definitely no stickiness. It was extraordinarily wet here in December, that seems the likely cause.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This was another issue I've been getting concerned about. I leave home early in the morning and can hear loud squeals when I reverse out. Yesterday I reversed it with the windows open and OMG the noise reverberations shocked me - I'm surprised the council hasnt been called in to give me an asbo!

Glad I've come across this thread. You'd think things like this should be solved already but sometimes it seems like with EVs the whole car is being designed again from scratch neglecting all the good stuff we've learnt from our trusty ICE cars.

My leaf has the cameras but no parking sensors, it is such a pain in this went rainy weather when cameras get dirty on each leg of commute. The Mrs just doesn't feel confident without sensors then becomes terrified when you add squeals :oops:

Sorry for what probably comes across like a rant. I will try the brake tips.

·
Registered
839 Posts
This was another issue I've been getting concerned about. I leave home early in the morning and can hear loud squeals when I reverse out. Yesterday I reversed it with the windows open and OMG the noise reverberations shocked me - I'm surprised the council hasnt been called in to give me an asbo!

Glad I've come across this thread. You'd think things like this should be solved already but sometimes it seems like with EVs the whole car is being designed again from scratch neglecting all the good stuff we've learnt from our trusty ICE cars.

My leaf has the cameras but no parking sensors, it is such a pain in this went rainy weather when cameras get dirty on each leg of commute. The Mrs just doesn't feel confident without sensors then becomes terrified when you add squeals :oops:

Sorry for what probably comes across like a rant. I will try the brake tips.
It’s possible to fit parking sensors to a Leaf. I know some have done that if they miss the beeps. There’ll be a thread on here somewhere with details. ..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Been quoted £220 for front and back parking sensors. Not cheap but I think necessary for other half's confidence.

Also tried the handbrake trick, it seemed to work. Let's see if silence is maintained upon first drive today.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well Sod's Law applies! Quarantine is forcing me to remain home, the sun is shining and with nothing much to do I thought I'd try to confirm which rear wheel this parking brake dragging applies to - one or both. Firstly I reversed back and forth having used the brake but not a whimper from the rear! Up with each wheel with parking brake off and chocs applied to the front and both wheels turn freely by hand. Now, I know what will now happen at MoT time. The brakes will drag and it will fail especially now that my nice summertime MoT date has been extended by six months to the depths of winter.
The one thing I cling to as a possible cause of this non-drag scenario and that is that I depressed the pedal hard, whereas previously I have pressed it only enough to resist the car's gravity assisted roll-back. Perhaps hard application displaces the shoes (it's a drum type parking brake) sufficiently to break any stickyness between the shoe and backplate, and once released, the shoe(s) return more readily to the 'off' position. Vain hope? We'll see...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, my Leaf (or more accurately, my wife's Leaf) passed the MoT with no advisories. I have found that when I apply the parking brake only just enough to hold the car, it often squeals on reversing. However, if I press the pedal hard I can feel a stick-slip condition going on and it has not squealed since I stopped pussy-footing with pedal and accept the grunting noises as the mechanism 'unsticks'. Come winter I may be obliged to eat my words of course!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts