Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering my options for going full electric and retiring the mile crunching ampera to 'future classic, keep it in the garage' status...

Given that I drive like a grandma and the roads in South West are terrible, what EV out there has the highest profile rubber on the squishy-ist suspension?

I'm assuming that an MG5 is probably my best option here but am happy to be educated otherwise.

I don't think I could stretch to a used model x 60 on air suspension, but I can but dream.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,876 Posts
I don't think I could stretch to a used model x 60 on air suspension, but I can but dream.
The older Model X aren’t they good. They improved the suspension in the later models.

The Audi eTron I drove was probably the best of the lot. But you’d expect that.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The older Model X aren’t they good. They improved the suspension in the later models.

The Audi eTron I drove was probably the best of the lot. But you’d expect that.
Interesting... I certainly don't have eTron deep pockets, and I haven't found Audi suspension to be that comfortable before.

Perhaps I should just drop an Xm off at Zero EV up the road and tell them to get on with converting it :D

Reactions: DomJ

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE 2018 Black
127 Posts
The Ioniq with its 16inch wheels but large sidewalls are great on our rough sort of rubbish roads here in Flintshire, and because it's one of the lighter EV's it's pretty soft the suspension over speed bumps too. It's front seats are almost central of the car's wheel base so hardly feel any see-saw like movement.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Ioniq with its 16inch wheels but large sidewalls are great on our rough sort of rubbish roads here in Flintshire, and because it's one of the lighter EV's it's pretty soft the suspension over speed bumps too. It's front seats are almost central of the car's wheel base so hardly feel any see-saw like movement.
I have considered a first gen Ioniq as a suitable Ampera replacement... I'll try and test drive one.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,876 Posts
Interesting... I certainly don't have eTron deep pockets, and I haven't found Audi suspension to be that comfortable before.

Perhaps I should just drop an Xm off at Zero EV up the road and tell them to get on with converting it :D
If you can afford to convert an old car to electric, then I don’t know why you couldn’t buy an eTron.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can afford to convert an old car to electric, then I don’t know why you couldn’t buy an eTron.
Even if I could afford one, I wouldn't be seen dead in something that vulgar :D

Reactions: Oliver80

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If only the squishy fluence would rapid charge...

Reactions: donald

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
On the topic of good suspension, I have been very pleasantly surprised at just how good the I-Pace air suspension is. I was expecting the combination of 20" wheels and air suspension to be a bit harsh on the rough roads we have around here, but the ride quality and absence of road noise is really outstanding, and far, far better than on my old Tesla Model 3 LR. I have heard that the I-Pace with standard suspension and smaller wheels is even better, and if that is the case then it must be very good indeed.

·
Registered
2021 Citroën ë-C4 Shine Plus
156 Posts
My Citroën e-C4 has pretty much the squishiest suspension of any car I’ve had recently, thanks to progressive hydraulic cushions...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've got an 2021 Ioniq, and while it's surprisingly good, after spending 850 miles in it, it could be better.

(But that's to be expected, because I've been driving cheap, old Lexuses for the last 7 years.)

Left-field suggestion: Get a Lexus GS450h, and throw away the ICE and use the two electric motors. ;)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've got an 2021 Ioniq, and while it's surprisingly good, after spending 850 miles in it, it could be better.

(But that's to be expected, because I've been driving cheap, old Lexuses for the last 7 years.)

Left-field suggestion: Get a Lexus GS450h, and throw away the ICE and use the two electric motors. ;)
I might just buy a citroen cx25 turbo and smoke around in that... Nothing like a green lake of lhm to brighten a morning commute.

Reactions: DomJ

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And yet you want to own a converted ‘80s French car?
80's French cars are the ultimate lifestyle accessory.... I would seriously question the mental state of anyone who doesn't agree with me :D :D

·
Banned
367 Posts

I test drove a GS 3rd gen a while back. Man that thing was awesome.
It was like floating on a cloud. It was so soft that I purposely drove over puttholes and it felt like my tushy was getting a soft and quiet massage. Nothing like the UX300e which has a quite hard suspension.
Lexus should relaunch the GS as a BEV.
It wouldn't be in my budget but it will be high on my used-EV list for sure.

The Leaf MK1 has a soft suspension but no where near Lexus GS soft.

The eTron is a beautiful car, but it's a POS reliability-wise.
The eTron GT looks like it has a comfy suspension, but the money they ask for it is poor value.
Given VW's recent technical reliability issues on virtually every new BEV model, I would wait a few years of field testing to know how bad it is.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yes our old 2015 Leaf had a relatively comfy ride, and you could buy a cheap one with a dying battery and have that replaced with a 40kWh battery for £7-8k, or even a 62kWh battery for about £12-13k I believe. Mind you rapidgate may be a consequence of that conversion.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I test drove a GS 3rd gen a while back. Man that thing was awesome.
It was like floating on a cloud. It was so soft that I purposely drove over puttholes and it felt like my tushy was getting a soft and quiet massage. Nothing like the UX300e which has a quite hard suspension.
Lexus should relaunch the GS as a BEV.
It wouldn't be in my budget but it will be high on my used-EV list for sure.

The Leaf MK1 has a soft suspension but no where near Lexus GS soft.

The eTron is a beautiful car, but it's a POS reliability-wise.
The eTron GT looks like it has a comfy suspension, but the money they ask for it is poor value.
Given VW's recent technical reliability issues on virtually every new BEV model, I would wait a few years of field testing to know how bad it is.
Since the thread title was Squishy FRENCH suspension, your mention of GS invoked images of the Citroen GS, yes all 1100cc of air cooled flat four locomotion, complete with proper pothole soaking hydropneumatics.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since the thread title was Squishy FRENCH suspension, your mention of GS invoked images of the Citroen GS, yes all 1100cc of air cooled flat four locomotion, complete with proper pothole soaking hydropneumatics.
I'm a 2cv lover at heart and have about four in various stages of disintegration and repair tucked around the farm... I very nearly bought a GS 15yrs ago.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Never mind the GS, the DS is my dream classic, a good electric conversion on one of those would be truly awesome, silent silky smooth wafting down the road:

Or the Safari estate version of course:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts