Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A year ago today I was picking up an SR+
Over the year I’ve covered just over 9,000 miles. About 6,000 was done in the colder half of the year, and only half the expected mileage over the summer for obvious reasons.

Efficiency:
254w/m. Given I did 2/3 over the colder half of the year I think it’s worth splitting this. First 6000 were 278w/m and mostly around 200w/m over the summer. Therefore I think a weighted average efficiency would have been around 239w/m

I live in the south west and most of the driving has been city driving short trips and regular trips to Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall. These journeys have not been flat by any stretch but also not largely on motorways.

Most journeys there are 3-4 of us in the car and all long journeys full of luggage.

My driving style is spirited and I enjoy getting the feel of the chassis through the bends and overtaking wherever possible on the A and B roads.

That said I also enjoy trying to get the best efficiency in journeys and have regen standard and also use heated seats before climate. Don’t always use climate and then when I do I keep it on manual.

Given my driving style and usage I am delighted with the summer efficiency. 5 miles per kw is better than I was expecting. This car needs a heat pump as the range variation is quite extreme but overall I’ve felt the range to be enough for the vast majority of my uses.

If we had a drive I would probably not even have been so bothered about efficiency but when we are charging at home with a ramp on the pavement I try to charge as little as possible.

Degradation
I don’t have any fancy scanners but nothing I can detect.

Driving
This is the best all round car I have driven and I’m utterly happy with it overall. A shorter wheel base lighter rwd car would be my ideal drive but this is the best compromise for a one car family that needs everything.

Space:
Loads of interior space and very comfortable seats and overall nice place to be. Luggage capacity is close to our old Passat estate once you factor in sub boot and frunk. It would be so much better as a hatch though. I’d much rather they kept the form factor of the 3 and added a hatch than change to the larger Y

Regrets?
I wish now I had ordered the tow package as bikes or a lack of easy way to transport four is the one issue that makes me think we won’t keep this one for life.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A year ago today I was picking up an SR+
Over the year I’ve covered just over 9,000 miles. About 6,000 was done in the colder half of the year, and only half the expected mileage over the summer for obvious reasons.

Efficiency:
254w/m. Given I did 2/3 over the colder half of the year I think it’s worth splitting this. First 6000 were 278w/m and mostly around 200w/m over the summer. Therefore I think a weighted average efficiency would have been around 239w/m

I live in the south west and most of the driving has been city driving short trips and regular trips to Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall. These journeys have not been flat by any stretch but also not largely on motorways.

Most journeys there are 3-4 of us in the car and all long journeys full of luggage.

My driving style is spirited and I enjoy getting the feel of the chassis through the bends and overtaking wherever possible on the A and B roads.

That said I also enjoy trying to get the best efficiency in journeys and have regen standard and also use heated seats before climate. Don’t always use climate and then when I do I keep it on manual.

Given my driving style and usage I am delighted with the summer efficiency. 5 miles per kw is better than I was expecting. This car needs a heat pump as the range variation is quite extreme but overall I’ve felt the range to be enough for the vast majority of my uses.

If we had a drive I would probably not even have been so bothered about efficiency but when we are charging at home with a ramp on the pavement I try to charge as little as possible.

Degradation
I don’t have any fancy scanners but nothing I can detect.

Driving
This is the best all round car I have driven and I’m utterly happy with it overall. A shorter wheel base lighter rwd car would be my ideal drive but this is the best compromise for a one car family that needs everything.

Space:
Loads of interior space and very comfortable seats and overall nice place to be. Luggage capacity is close to our old Passat estate once you factor in sub boot and frunk. It would be so much better as a hatch though. I’d much rather they kept the form factor of the 3 and added a hatch than change to the larger Y

Regrets?
I wish now I had ordered the tow package as bikes or a lack of easy way to transport four is the one issue that makes me think we won’t keep this one for life.
Thanks for the post always good to hear owners thoughts after living with the car in the real world

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've had my Model 3 SR+ for a little over 13 months, driven 15,953 miles.

On the first of May I decided to see what the warmer weather would do to my overall consumption/efficiency.
So I set a trip starting May 1st-the end of September.
I didn't drive any differently other than the fact that I did a little less driving than normal as the vast majority of the miles were just from commuting rather than for many day trips and pleasure as this was throughout the pandemic.

When you compare my wh/mi for the summer months compared to my entire lifetime of the car (August 2019 - October 2020), there is a definite improvement but it's maybe not as drastic as one might expect.

I'm going to set a new trip now spanning from 1st October-30th April and see how that compares.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Interesting the difference is less marked. I note that you did 3x more miles in the winter presumably without lockdown etc. Is it possible you did more longer journeys? I tend to find there is a fixed penalty for leaving the house in hot or cold weather to either cool or warm the car which tends to have a bigger impact on shorter journeys - eg to buy groceries in lockdown.

You're also comparing a 7 month period that included an exceptionally mild April so maybe that improved your "cold" average.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've done nearly 13,000 miles since February, average consumption is 268Wh/m but 75% of my journeys are at motorway speeds taking full advantage of APCO Speed Enforcement Guidelines

1 - 5 of 5 Posts