Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is only conjecture but I see mostly Long Range and Performance cars getting delivery dates but very little of SR+. Now I know there are many owners not on this forum but I wonder if it is purely the fact that Tesla do not make to order and so manufactures the cars that make a better margin especially as it is end of quarter. I ordered a SR+ blue/black on 11th August so realistically didn't expect to collect before the end of October anyway but I'm sure there must be buyers who ordered earlier in the year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I was being cynical, I would say that Tesla loaded up on higher margin cars for the UK with the expectation that they could make fresh sales during September as it is a busy car month for the UK. I read someone placed an order on September 6th for an LR-AWD and got upsold to a P- ...and pick up next week!

·
Registered
180 Posts
It is possible that Tesla underestimated the overall demand from the UK. I think their global production capacity is 6,500 to 7,000 Model 3s per week. I also think new orders from the UK alone were running at something like an average of 1,000 cars per week for the first couple of months from ordering on 1 May, at least. I ordered Blue / black, no other options, on 13 June, using an EST loan. Initial collection expectation was July, then mid-August. I might just collect the car before the end of this month. Poor or contradictory communication from Tesla nearly all the time. Not good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I took this picture during pickup of my SR+ at Heathrow. first week of September, most cars had aero wheels suggesting SR+ were in the majority of deliveries that week.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is only conjecture but I see mostly Long Range and Performance cars getting delivery dates but very little of SR+. Now I know there are many owners not on this forum but I wonder if it is purely the fact that Tesla do not make to order and so manufactures the cars that make a better margin especially as it is end of quarter. I ordered a SR+ blue/black on 11th August so realistically didn't expect to collect before the end of October anyway but I'm sure there must be buyers who ordered earlier in the year.
I ordered a Silver/Black P3 15/08 - delivery is next sunday, 29/09. I think you are right, Tesla are focusing on getting the high margin cars out the door!

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
No -- in fact I believe for the first couple of months it was LRs that were in short supply, and all the early ones were Ps and SR+s.. Things evidently change. Musk recently tweeted about the UK undersupply.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Thank you Tim
I think Musk's awareness was augmented by the SpeakEV member who tweeted in his general direction a couple of weeks ago. From a corporate governance POV it is unsatisfactory that we should rely upon stealing 15 minutes' attention from a benign dictator than that there should be a properly worked-out production and supply planning strategy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think Musk's awareness was augmented by the SpeakEV member who tweeted in his general direction a couple of weeks ago. From a corporate governance POV it is unsatisfactory that we should rely upon stealing 15 minutes' attention from a benign dictator than that there should be a properly worked-out production and supply planning strategy.
I agree about corporate governance. However, an autocratic and perhaps maverick leader can sometimes achieve what a conventional governance structure would almost certainly prohibit, in terms of risk management. I think Tesla has matured sufficiently that I now consider it a reasonable risk for me to buy from them. Not to say that previously it would have been wrong, just that it would have been too big a risk for me.

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
How does it works with VAG?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts