Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The steering on an i3 is always a bit light but I'm now finding that the the car does not feel very stable at speed (60mph plus). I've had the tracking checked and this was adjusted. This helped avoid the need for continual steering corrections but it has done little to improve the high speed stability. The front tyres are worn but have about 3mm of tread left. I'm reluctant to get new front tyres yet as new ones only have about 6mm tread and I'd like to get a bit more life out of them. I have new rear tyres (as these were getting low) but this hasn't made any difference to the stability. Do others find stability is poor at speed (I don't think it was as bad when I bought the car a year ago) or have any ideas as to the cause?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Is this a LCI Model (facelift)? They’re reportedly more stable than the previous version.

I’d try and do a test drive of an equivalent car to compare before running down a list of things to fix. They’re tall cars with narrow tyres so can be susceptible to things like wind at speed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I haven’t had any concerns in a straight line. But driving through the country lanes of Devon it doesn’t feel very confident in corners at all. The car is quite heavy and short, with skinny wheels of course, and the lift off and acceleration response is very impressive (steering with the throttle). This makes it ‘entertaining’ to say the least in corners, accelerating out of corners can shift the unusually high weight very quickly to the skinny back tyres in a very short car. Likewise diving into corners, lifting off to shift the weight forward to reduce the understeer feels...scary....it doesn’t quite seem to all stack up. High weight and acceleration, coupled with skinny wheels and a short wheelbase, is an interesting recipe that I haven’t been tempted to find the limit of!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've got a pre face-lift 94ah rex. No issues with mine. Happy with the handling.

Wouldn't say no to better brakes but no complaints thrashing it round country lanes.

It does need driving differently to C class or our Model X but I don't worry about its stability. My commute is 86 miles on dial carriageway, always over 60mph. The only time I'm surprised, stability wise, is when it's very windy and you get big gusts.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
The best there is at what I do
10,619 Posts
When I first got my i3 I loved the handling but it was compromised a bit when BMW softened the regen, still goes round roundabouts in MK like its on rails you just have to lift much earlier on the approach.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The steering on an i3 is always a bit light but I'm now finding that the the car does not feel very stable at speed (60mph plus). I've had the tracking checked and this was adjusted. This helped avoid the need for continual steering corrections but it has done little to improve the high speed stability.
My long term i3 has 19" wheels & I've always found it a little bit lacking on the stability front compared to other cars I've driven ( I got used to it over time ) I then drove an i3 with 20" wheels & this drove much better on the slightly wider track they give.. What size wheels does your i3 have?
I'm presuming you've had a garage check it over for any issues with suspension components?
R..

·
Registered
956 Posts
what tyres does it have? Different car but our leaf in my opinion was down right scary on the motorway at 70mph in the rain, fitted decent tyres, totally transformed it, now have confidence in what the car can do! the Dunlops that were standard fit weren't even half worn but changing them was worth every penny in my eyes!

i think some lf these 'eco' tyres really ruin a car

·
Registered
658 Posts
The i3 only has Bridgestones available for 20" wheels, the 19" has Bridgestones or Nankans available, not much choice as they only fit the i3..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not had any issues in the first 700 miles in our new i3. Indeed I find it very responsive and "nippy". It is a tall car so have felt it move in gusty conditions but no problem otherwise in the lanes, A roads, or motorways up to 70 (or so!). We've got the 19" turbine wheels. On the other hand I've not tracked it yet so haven't pushed it as hard as I have some ICE cars.

·
CTiD
408 Posts
Only done ~300 miles so far in the i3s but it immediately feels more planted and stable than the i3 I had on a 3 day test...

As for the “harsh ride” from the 20” rims all I can say is go try a Mercedes A220 with the AMG kit on it... the i3s feels like a magic carpet in comparison..

Blown away by the car so far

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the comments, sorry for the delayed response (the auto notification of comments doesn't seem to have worked). Its a 2014 Rex and done about 50K miles. Its got 19 inch wheels and, of course, Goodyears on the front (and now Nankangs on the back). Yes, its always felt a little unstable in side winds but now seems like that at speed even when no side wind. I've not noticed any problem cornering (but I don't often corner at 60 mph+ !), the problem is on dual carriageways etc.

The tyres are at recommended pressure. Its due for a service (brake pads etc) soon so will get BMW to check but I expect they'll advise new tyres first and then see if it there is still a problem,

·
Super Moderator
11,338 Posts
4 years in since original REX there is simply nothing on the market to meet my needs which is disappointing.
Lots of new and upgraded cars on the way. Don't want to drag this thread off topic.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thanks for all the comments, sorry for the delayed response (the auto notification of comments doesn't seem to have worked). Its a 2014 Rex and done about 50K miles. Its got 19 inch wheels and, of course, Goodyears on the front (and now Nankangs on the back). Yes, its always felt a little unstable in side winds but now seems like that at speed even when no side wind. I've not noticed any problem cornering (but I don't often corner at 60 mph+ !), the problem is on dual carriageways etc.

The tyres are at recommended pressure. Its due for a service (brake pads etc) soon so will get BMW to check but I expect they'll advise new tyres first and then see if it there is still a problem,
A couple of things that could potentially help sort some of your issues.

1. Have you checked the tyres on the correct wheels and that the wheels are on the correct corner of the car?
The Rex has slightly wider rims and tyres on the rear and narrower on the front - There are plenty of examples of tyre fitters fitting either the wrong tyre on the wrong wheel or the wrong wheel on the wrong end, or worse still, both of those things together. The only way really would be to get a tyre fitter to take the wheels off and check the size of the wheels (stamped on the back) against the tyre size and then make sure each wheel is on the correct end.
The tyres (which again, also need to be on the correct sized wheels) should be 155/70 19 84Q on the front and 175/60 19 86Q on the rear.

2. Get rid of the Nankangs. They're objectively dreadful budget tyres. They don't handle or wear properly on any car. There are plenty of negative reports about them across the net. Premium i3 tyres are not expensive if ordered online from the likes of Camskill or Oponeo. You can have them delivered direct to your local tyre fitter who will fit and balance them for you.
The extra you spend on proper tyres will save you money in the long run - Nankangs will wear exponentially faster than the Bridgestones, which are only about £10 per tyre more on the front and £30 on the back than those cruddy Nankangs.
I promise you this is not false economy, or badge snobbery - It's a fact. Poor quality rubber will almost always deliver poor handling and poor value.

3. Change the front tyres - Whilst 3mm is above the UK legal limit of 1.6mm, the law in this respect is an ass. 3mm of tread remaining gives you vastly inferior grip and traction whether in the dry or in the wet. In Germany tyres are generally changed at 4mm....and then sold to backstreet tyre fitters in the UK as "part-worn". Crazy.
If you've had the tracking adjusted recently as your post suggests, then if there has been any adjustment, the tyres will be running on the road and wearing in a different manner to which they have been worn-in during the greater part of their life since they were new. They could also have had puncture repairs or previous damage if they were on the car before you bought it.
If you're having handling problems with any car, always start with the tyres and wheels as you have done - Check for damage to the tyre walls and treads. Check for uneven wear across the width of the tread. Then it's balancing and tracking, and if none of that works, and the tyres are almost at the end of their life anyway, change them for a non-budget brand preferably.

4. When you had the tracking done, was it done on a "Hunter" 4 wheel alignment machine? Almost all Kwik Fit branches have these machines. They are the most accurate alignment kit out there, mainly because they're so easy to use by the operator. Quite difficult to make a mistake! Some independents have them too. I won't have my cars aligned on anything else.

5. When it was aligned, it's worth checking to see on the print out if they entered the correct settings for the car into the computer before they started - You should have been given a before and after print out. On the top it will say the exact make and model of the car. The settings for the i3 Range Extender are different to that of the Battery only model, in part due to wider rear wheels and the and engine in the rear.

Apart from that, as you've already found out, yes the i3 can feel like it's being buffeted at high speed, say over 70mph.

Also, it's relatively heavy at the back compared to the non-rex model which can cause an imbalance through corners. I don't drive my wife's 94Ah Rex that often at the mo and I have to relearn its handling idiosyncrasies every time I do.

We had similar issues to that which you reported earlier in the year - On close examination of the Winter tyres that were on it at the time, we found that the front left was wearing more on the outer edge, suggesting that the tracking is out. Put the Summer (normal) tyres back on it in April, had it tracked and everything felt normal again. It'll still cost me a pair of Winter tyres in the next couple of weeks though.

The thing is once a tyre's wearing badly to that extent, adjusting the tracking won't stop it wearing an awful lot less quickly in the same place. That's why it's a good idea to have the tracking checked every few months, which most tyre places will do for free - They only charge for adjustment, and the print-out they show you after checking will always show if that's required.

Anyway, hope that helps solve your issues.

If it doesn't, it's possible that a rubber bush in the suspension or one of the suspension arms is worn or damaged, but I think that's highly unlikely as that would be delivering much more obvious symptoms.

This sounds like a rubber issue to me stemming from those Nankangs and, to a lesser extent but still pertinent, the aged Goodyears on the front.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts