Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apologies if this is long but utterly fed up with Renault. I'll try and be as brief as possible

We have a Sept 2016 Zoe which we've owned since March 2019. Feb this year the standard 'Adjust Tyres Pressure' message popped up which I assumed was due to the sudden drop in temp. Reset the TPMS and all seemed fine.

After lockdown eased, having not been driven much for about 2 months, we noticed that the warning was back and, crucially, wasn't resetting. We even got the alarming 'puncture, stop vehicle' warning. Yet all tyre pressures were absolutely fine and stable. Took it down to the local tyre place who checked it over and agreed that the pressures were OK but that the tyres weren't in great nick (15k miles, original Michelins with textbook cracking). Interestingly the front nearside was a different tyre with an 87 rating which, at the time, we thought probably wasn't helping matters. So we bit the bullet and got 4 new tyres in late July. Tyre fitter said that the Michelins were a pain to get hold of so I quickly called our Renault dealer (30 miles away) who said that they had been fitting Sumitomos of late. Looked at the Sumitomo and was coming up as a fuel efficiency E which, when you've only got a 100 mile range, seemed less than ideal so opted for a GT Radial Champiro FE1. Similar spec but efficiency B and 拢15 more each. All good, we thought. Yet tyre warning still not going away.

In August took it for it's 4yr service and MOT (with the eye watering brake fluid change for good measure) and asked them to take a look. When I collected it they said it was all fine, no fault with the TPMS and just needed to be driven to reset the system. Guess what? Never reset... It sometimes doesn't even make it through the 'pressure ref' cycle. Local tyre fitter was very helpful, they did two cold reads, same guage, 100 miles apart. Definitely no pressure issues.

So I tried to get in touch with Renault 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ. I called, I tweeted, I even sent a complaint. Nothing. Eventually managed to speak to Cust Serv who said that thy could see my complaint and I would hear from someone that week. Of course I didn't. Meanwhile, the warranty is ticking down... Called dealer who logged it as a fault (apparently they hadn't the first time) and booked us in. Son then gets a cough so by the time I went in last week, my warranty had expired...

Technician said they had checked it all, the system was working and reporting correct pressures with no errors so the issue wasn't there. Their conclusion was that it is the 'budget tyres' we've fitted (?). Though we were told these were mid-range, fine for a 10 mile a day car and seemingly superior to the Sumitomos Renault were recommending. They had Renault tech coming in today and were going to see if they had any ideas and give us a call by COP... So essentially, Renault are saying the problem will be fixed if we shell out 拢450 for Michelins, but we can't verify this until we've spent the 拢450. Plus (in my mind) they've issued a pass on the MOT despite the TPMS light being on but the pressures correct, which I think is a major?

Any ideas on where to go from here?

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
So essentially, Renault are saying the problem will be fixed if we shell out 拢450 for Michelins, but we can't verify this until we've spent the 拢450.
I ran a very cheap tyre on my Zoe (66 plate) with no issues.

I鈥檇 call their bluff.

Get them to fit the tyres and tell them you鈥檒l pay for them if it clears the issue. (I鈥檓 pretty sure it won鈥檛 make a difference)

Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
Won't go into how to handle the dealer / CS (see posts above). TPMS has ZERO to do with the tires on the car, but everything with the sensors *). It seems like either one of the sensors, an integrated part of the valve is broken, or the car's Body Control Module (BCM) module. Your dealer can easily replace them / see which tire is the culprit on their CLIP tool as far as I know. Should really be a non issue. Without trying to be facetious I'd be interested in "the other side of the story", as the story is kinda weird.

*) Some cars are said to not have TPMS sensors, but calculate pressure issues from small rotational differences. Both the dealer as the tire guy can easily see if the tires have TPMS sensors.

Shameless Self Plug: CanZE could be of help as it can read out every individual tire, as received by the BCM

Registered
Had problems with TPMS on an Insignia in the past. Garage moved where the receiver module was, and no more problems then - some other system in the car must have been interfering with the signals. Likewise, had a CANBus based towbar 13 pin electric system, which went wonky - socket had power on the permenent 12v but no lights were coming on. Changed the chassis ground point it was using, and then everything started working again. Car electrics are odd at times. But it sounds like interference to me....

Registered
@yoh-there is absolutely correct:

TPMS has ZERO to do with the tires on the car, but everything with the sensors...

...CanZE could be of help as it can read out every individual tire, as received by the BCM
His CanZE app is fantastic. I was using it to look at my tire pressures last Thursday. The car has to be moving for the sensors to work (so if you are able to use CanZE then you will have to put the app into tire pressure reading mode before you set off). I found 3 of my sensors to be spot on with my pressure gauge. The fourth was a bit high. I was amazed. If you want to try it out then you need a compatible Bluetooth OBD2 dongle. Cheap ones will not work with a Zoe so get one of the devices recommended on the CanZE website. Like the website warns, I find that the recommended Konnwei 902 disappointingly slow but it isn't expensive and I am not doing anything with it that justifies the hassle of making one myself.

Anyway, my point is, if you have a good dongle and CanZE then you can probably work out which TPMS is faulty yourself. The dealers definitely can and I do not understand why they are making a meal out of this whole thing for you. If one cannot be repaired and has to be replaced then the non-dealer price for an actual sensor is 拢35 to 拢50. I don't know how much they would charge to register a new module with the car.

If the dealer has checked the sensor readings (in a moving car) and compared them to the actual tire pressures and everything is OK then there has to be some kind of system fault.

In any case, the issue is definitely NOT with your tires and I would not be able to trust anyone who says that it is!

Registered
Nissan LEAF30
Ritual call to check the 12volt battery, if it hasn't been changed it is getting close to it in terms of age and they have suffered over lockdown.
Otherwise I'm with @yoh-there , get CanZe and check the readouts for yourself. TPMS often last longer, but their rated life is only five years so it isn't unknown for them to fail early. CanZe, the dealer or any decent tyre shop can check if the sensors are working. Anything else other than the 12v may be expensive.
I'm surprised that the MoT can be passed with a warning light on. Was that issued by the dealer or an independent test station?

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all - asking them to change the tyres and only paying if it works isn't a bad idea at all as (like you) I'm a bit :unsure: as to how the tyres make a difference. I don't know how sensitive the sensors are but they'd have to be seriously flexible, underinflated tyres to be causing the pressure to noticeably change when driving on a flat, straight road. Though Renault are adamant that this must be it. They say all sensors are functioning as they should so it can't be the sensors and the BCM is also up to date and not showing any faults.

I do not understand why they are making a meal out of this whole thing for you.
Exactly! Interesting what you say about moving tyres though, unless they had it on a rolling road out the back then the only time they drove it was when they went out on the failed attempt to reset the system.

12v battery was changed 2yrs ago so shouldn't be any issues with that.

I'm surprised that the MoT can be passed with a warning light on. Was that issued by the dealer or an independent test station?
As am I, it was the same dealer who did the service and says there isn't a problem (despite the warning light being on). I deliberately did it all in one go, and before the 4yr point when the warranty would expire, so that any issues could be flagged.

Will definitely go down the CanZE route - this is the right dongle, I think?

@yoh-there, I'm not sure what you mean by the other side of the story, the short version is as simple as TPMS warning light on, brand new tyres, no leaks and apparently no issues with the sensors. I've given the dealer the benefit of the doubt up to this point but I now have a 4yo car which should have failed it's MOT with no clear way to rectify it!

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
as TPMS warning light on,
How have you tried to reset the TPMS sensors?

I know it could take a while to reset when I had a flat. But maybe the system needs the fuse pulled or something to give it a hard reset?

Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
The zoe has the setting on the end stalk. You cycle through the trip display and one of them is learn tyre pressures. It was on the ZE40 anyway. Don't think there is another way to reset it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
The zoe has the setting on the end stalk. You cycle through the trip display and one of them is learn tyre pressures. It was on the ZE40 anyway. Don't think there is another way to reset it.
As this says, cycling through to the 'learning tyre pressures' and then holding it down until it flashes and you get the 'pressure ref ongoing'. Then driving for 5 miles plus to give it chance to read it all.
Dealer says they have also checked there are no historic errors in the BCM which could be messing it up.

Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
@yoh-there, I'm not sure what you mean by the other side of the story, the short version is as simple as TPMS warning light on, brand new tyres, no leaks and apparently no issues with the sensors. I've given the dealer the benefit of the doubt up to this point but I now have a 4yo car which should have failed it's MOT with no clear way to rectify it!
I hear you, and again, don't take this as me being an a**. It's more like others have said, why on earth would a dealer act like this. Also CS being unresponsive is not, let's say "the common experience", though of course there have been sour cases. They usually have no problem putting pressure (no pun intended) on a dealer if they think they are not performing. Sending off a car with the warning light on after a MOT would be a major nono to CS, I am pretty sure they'd fry a dealer over that, slowly, as it hurts their reputation. What I am trying to get across is: it's hard to make sense of the actual process (as opposed to the tech, which is childishly straightforward). Anyway.

Suggested 12 volt battery is certainly something to keep your eye on (lots of post here on it), though I highly doubt it has anything to do with this specific problem. It usually starts with the infamous "Check electrical system" message.

I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
Thanks all - asking them to change the tyres and only paying if it works isn't a bad idea at all as (like you) I'm a bit :unsure: as to how the tyres make a difference. I don't know how sensitive the sensors are but they'd have to be seriously flexible, underinflated tyres to be causing the pressure to noticeably change when driving on a flat, straight road. Though Renault are adamant that this must be it. They say all sensors are functioning as they should so it can't be the sensors and the BCM is also up to date and not showing any faults.

Exactly! Interesting what you say about moving tyres though, unless they had it on a rolling road out the back then the only time they drove it was when they went out on the failed attempt to reset the system.

12v battery was changed 2yrs ago so shouldn't be any issues with that.

As am I, it was the same dealer who did the service and says there isn't a problem (despite the warning light being on). I deliberately did it all in one go, and before the 4yr point when the warranty would expire, so that any issues could be flagged.

Will definitely go down the CanZE route - this is the right dongle, I think?

Of course you do. the warrant is in tact for this issue, it was reported and unresolved, they don't have the luxury to say the fault didn't exist prior to end of the warranty term.

You will, however, probably have to follow cah's line and cough up to prove the point. Then get them to fix the issue plus refund the tyres (keep the spare set in the garage for later, if you can).

It'll be off to the motor ombudsman with you if they don't then deliver on that commitment. But look at it from their and Ombudsman's point; some 'unknown' tyres fitted and you are refusing to consider that possibility? Not saying you are or that's the issue, but they opened that box and you have to figure how to shut it again before consulting with Ombudsman.

.. I so hate it when people do this sort of thing, blame something utterly inconsequential as the cause of an issue, rather than dealing with the issue. It seems to have become the standard MO of neutro-typicals.

Registered
Renault Zoe 50
You will, however, probably have to follow cah's line and cough up to prove the point.
Of course if done the right way, and if one is prepared to play a little poker, the OP shouldn't need to spend any money if the garage want to prove the point. :)

Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
The TPMS fault was a pre existing issue before the tyres were changed. Point the dealer at this fact first. Changing tyres didn't change the fault the first time so why on earth would they think that changing them again would? Logic is stupid.

Complain to Renault CS that dealer is being an arse.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all, and @yoh-there, I totally understand.

Reassuring to hear that this is not a normal CS experience and, in fairness, the issue seemed to be actually talking to someone. My experience with Renault so far has been generally very good so I'll give them another try.

Have ordered a dongle so I can see for myself that it's working fine and in the meantime will speak to Renault CS to see what they can suggest.

Registered
I'd be interested to know what the dealer thinks is happening with the TMPS what that has to do with the make of tyre. It's a module fitted inside the wheel that monitors pressure, it has nothing at all to do with the tyre. If you fit it a party balloon it would still work in the same way. If the pressure is present then report it. The car the makes up it's own mind as to what to do with that info, once outside of the set tolerance then it will flag an warning. Pretty obvious and what everyone expects. Cheap tyres still hold pressure (OK, that is assuming they are slightly reasonable.)

Getting them to explain how the tyre choice affects the TMPS in writing might get you further. Once a numpty like that is pushed to have their bottom burps written down they normally find out what the real issue is.
Once you get the dongle I'd guess you will find one of the sensors is showing a daft value and just needs to be changed, which of course should be under warranty.

If you haven't taken the extended warranty out yet and still have time (a sept 2016 car might be too late now) I would go for it ASAFP.

Reactions: Kelly McLellan

Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
A laughable story... Though having had a set of Champiros I was glad to burn them away on a track day and get something better. Nothing to do with TPMS or otherwise though.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
It's a good thing I'm not the normal Zoe driver as this app is great and I'd never do any work.

Headline news - sensors working and reporting values just fine. Pressures appear to be bang on what Renault recommend. Lower than we've had previously though so thats a starting point.
Out if interest, is the 'underinflated' warning something which is coming from CanZE or the car? Surely thats odd if that's the pressure it 'should' be (even if we all disagree).

If its as simple as that... :oops:

Will report back once I've nipped to the garage and put more air in. Is the consensus still 2.5bar/36

1 - 20 of 29 Posts