Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm quite confused about the differences between these after watching several youtube videos. From what I understand, AP looks after the steering, is turned off by braking or signalling and is best used on motorways or big A-roads. TACC keeps you a set distance behind the vehicle in front and stays on until turned off manually.

Does AP also have an element of staying a set distance from the car ahead? When would you use one and not the other? Or should they both be turned on at the same time on motorways?

Thanks!

·
Registered
M3 LR+ AWD white/19" alloys/tow hook.
88 Posts
Autopilot describes the combined functions of TACC & autosteer. Yes autosteer is turned off by braking or signalling & TACC remains on until manually overridden.

A single click downward will activate TACC, controlling speed, travelling distance & collision avoidance (braking/warning) whereas a second click also turns on auto steer.

Therefore you can either use only TACC or TACC + autosteer. Tesla advises that they are meant for Motorways/dual carriageways but with caution... many use them on other roads too at own risk.

However phantom braking can happen at any time using AP & means that greater attention is required than driving manually, with ensuing higher potential stress levels!

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Additional note: when activated, TACC/AP will automatically accelerate to the speed limit (traffic dependent) and set speed can be adjusted using the scroll wheel.

I can’t remember if it automatically adjusts set speed to the local limit.

As for when to use it, TACC can be reliably used anywhere really. Autosteer can be a bit questionable around town.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Nice. I guess that’s a toggle option in the control panel, and activation is still the single click?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yes, It's a toggle option that dictates whether, when you pull the stalk down, it sets at speed limit (+ new % offset option) or at current speed. You set the toggle once to "current speed"and (at last) it now behaves like most other cars when you set TACC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts