Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I take delivery of my new Ampera next weekend. :D

I'm intending to have the Standard charging cable permanently plugged in within my garage with about 3m of cable (and connection) on the external wall ready to just plug straight into the car.

I assume there are several reasons why it can't be done, as it seems too easy..........weatherproofing ?? Electrical reasons?

Can someone please advise (in idiot proof english) as I struggle to change a light bulb!!

Thanks

Simon

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Simon,

The charge unit supplied with the car has a 13amp plug on one end and the cable/plug that runs to the car is a permanent attachment so I am not sure what your intention is when you say "external connection".

If you mean you are going to run the cable under the door and leave the plug on the outside you will have issues around safety and water ingress to the plug when it is not in use. Left like that, small fingers and illicit use would be an issue I feel.

I think you need to re-think your plans.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I agree. If I understand you correctly that won't work.

You could put a waterproof 13A socket, with its own MCB on your consumer unit (16A at least but make sure you have a suitable RCD near the socket too for your own protection), on the outside of your garage and plug the supplied charge lead into that but I wouldn't leave it outside all the time. It is waterproof to a degree but it is not intended for continuous use.

I wouldn't use a normal ring-main socket for regular charging. If the wiring is in good condition then it might take the 10A load but it is 10A for hours. A ring is not designed to take that load for hours at a time. I would always make sure that the car is charged on its own circuit on the consumer unit with suitably sized cables for at least 16A.

Or even better... get a permanent charge station installed with a tethered cable. This is the only recommended way to have a permanent external charging facility.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
RayG said:
Useful pictures in your post Ray, your garage looks exactly like mine, with the same position for the parked car. Looks just like what I am coming round to installing initially, though maybe not with the 16A charging unit from day 1. May I ask which meter you installed?

Mike

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
RayG said:
hopbackguy said:
May I ask which meter you installed?
The meter is an Elster A100C
Thanks! I'd been Googling away in the meantime and come across that one... looks ideal.. and pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks for all your advice.
Obviously i'm going to have to spend some cash....although as little as possible...not much left after purchasing the car !!!

Is there any reason I can't install the home charger on an external wall (by a suitably qualified electrician) therefore making it a permanent tethered charge station ?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If it is designed to be install on an outside wall then yes, it will be fine. Best to check with the manufacturer because not all of them are suitable for outside installation. For example, the Schneider home charging station is not IP rated so to install that one externally requires a IP rated box to put it in!!!

Worth checking.

I know that the Pod Point and POLAR (British Gas) and Rolec ones are fine externally. Don't know anything about the Vauxhall one???

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
The Vauxhall one is supposed to be IP54 (splashproof) if I recall correctly. I leave it outside all day at work, but I am not convinced it is as waterproof as it claims.

However, to answer the OP's question - the car end plug is not energised unless it is plugged into a car. So as long as it is pointing down or better still, housed in a small cabinet to cover it, there is no problem with prying fingers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts