Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past few months I have found that the keyless start button is not working consistently. I have a 16 plate Golf GTE, but only 36,000 miles. Unlike when new the press of the button does not seem to register first time consistently to switch the ignition on or off. Anyone experienced anything similar? If so did you find the cause?

The problem is occuring for both key fobs. I replaced the key fob batteries anyway, and it didn't seem to make a difference.

A forum search elsewhere revealed some Golf Mk7 GTIs and some older Golf Mk8 TDIs with similar issues. The owners did not always have a consistent answer to the problem. Though one got a button replacement under warranty and others took the button out to clean the electrical contacts with plastic safe electrical cleaner or an eraser.

I extended my warranty to 5 years, so was thinking of having my VW dealer have a look at it before it expires. But does anyone know a quick fix that might avoid not having my car for a day? Thanks.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it work better if you do a longer push rather than a short stab?
Possibly slightly better, but still not every time. And never had an issue with short presses up until the last few months.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,520 Posts
OP, did you get your coffee spilled? Sorry, could not resist.

More seriously, if there hasn't been any damage to the button, this needs to be checked out.

Do you get any other signals or messages on the dash? Or anything else?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does it feel or sound different? Could be something stuck in it.
No feels the same.

OP, did you get your coffee spilled? Sorry, could not resist.

More seriously, if there hasn't been any damage to the button, this needs to be checked out.

Do you get any other signals or messages on the dash? Or anything else?
Nothing spilled that I am aware of. There is no residue to suggest something was spilled. I am not the only driver though. We don't drink coffee in the car. My water bottle has a straw and my wife doesn't usually eat or drink anything in my car.

No other messages or signanls on the dash. It is as if it hasn't regiestered the button press to switch the ignition on or off.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,520 Posts
Get it to your dealer. But thinking about it, book the car in and in the few days while waiting, get in the habit of starting/shutting off the car while filming video. If it is intermittent you will have something to show them at the end.

Reactions: ChrisCross123

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Bad contact in the switch sounds like most likely cause. Depending on what the sealing arrangement is in the switch and what switch mechanism it is you could try a squirt of contact cleaner, but in all honesty I would just get the dealer to sort it under warranty.

Is it happening often enough that the dealer can't play the 'no fault found' card?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi,
Sounds like the same issue I had with my old ICE Honda.

I ended up being the button. I was able to get a replacement button and an easy swap.

If under warranty then this should be covered and an easy fix for them

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts