Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never caused me big concern but trying to figure out out to, for example, start the car (facing downhill) and reverse, without rolling forward.

Would love to know a failsafe way of doing this, but i think the only i havent tried yet was using both pedals at same time.

Things that dont do anything:

Pressing accelerator and let go handbrake slowly does nothing as the "R" only engages once the handbrake is fully released (rolls down)
Holding the car on brake pedal and quickly switch, also a slight delay

any tips? i might find myself too close to a car 1 day and not have the room to roll 15-20cm

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hmm - I've never noticed a problem and I often reverse up our sloping driveway.
Will need to test next time!
I assume that hill start assist doesn't work for going backwards?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If you press the accelerator while in reverse with handbrake on the rear of the car rises (just went out to try it as you had me doubting) then just release the handbrake slowly.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Which Zoe do you drive @X4dow ?
Our ZE50 reverses up a down sloping drive every day and has not once rolled down the slope. We just start it up and put it in reverse. The start assist kicks in and off it goes - I've been impressed with it so far.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Never had an issue with my Zoe 22 or the ZE50 I drove rolling.

Reactions: rossnruss

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
That should be necessary though. Start with foot on brake, shift into reverse, parking brake off, then as you bring your foot off the brake pedal it should either start reversing on flat, or hold on a forward incline.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
I'd have to double check to say for certain but I'm pretty confident the hill start assist works downhill? It just grabs your brakes. Start with foot on brake (as you need to), put in reverse, release handbrake, release foot brake, you should have a few seconds to provide power? Never been an issue here in the 22

Reactions: TJEV

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
Which Zoe is this? I think I remember reading reports on here of quite a variation in how effective the auto hold on the ZE50 is.

In mine, I've never had a problem with hill starts, although I was surprised the other day that the creep wasn't preventing me from rolling back down a hill in traffic. (Auto hold hadn't kicked in)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Which Zoe is this? I think I remember reading reports on here of quite a variation in how effective the auto hold on the ZE50 is.

In mine, I've never had a problem with hill starts, although I was surprised the other day that the creep wasn't preventing me from rolling back down a hill in traffic. (Auto hold hadn't kicked in)
Mine is the opposite lol - at a local set of uphill lights it took me a while to get used to it wanting to creep up the hill while waiting!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
It could be the time limit that is catching OP out - it only holds for a couple of seconds before you must apply throttle (if the hill is steep enough to roll the car in that direction).

Reactions: Harry_Zoe

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you press the accelerator while in reverse with handbrake on the rear of the car rises (just went out to try it as you had me doubting) then just release the handbrake slowly.
My gas pedal won't rise or do anything until the handbrake goes off

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine is the opposite lol - at a local set of uphill lights it took me a while to get used to it wanting to creep up the hill while waiting!
I'm not taking about the creep being strong or weak. I'm talking about the creep itself being disabled while the handbrake is off and the car only engaging the creep half a second after the handbrake going off.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Ze40 r110
The creep's strenght isn't an issue for me, but the delay between letting go the handbrake and the creep (or pedal
I'd have to double check to say for certain but I'm pretty confident the hill start assist works downhill? It just grabs your brakes. Start with foot on brake (as you need to), put in reverse, release handbrake, release foot brake, you should have a few seconds to provide power? Never been an issue here in the 22
That second between letting go the brake and actually reacting to you pressing the pedal (creep is disabled while you press brake pedal) is enough for it to roll 10cm or more forward

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
My gas pedal won't rise or do anything until the handbrake goes off
Not sure who's is right or wrong, but our ZE40 gas pedal acts same as any other time once the engine is on, irrespective of handbrake being on or off.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had a ZE50 via ONTO which I got rid of after only three weeks partly because I found the auto hold/parking brake system unpredictable. Mine would definitely roll downhill against the drive direction, I had a very close call where it rolled downhill towards a charger whilst I was trying to slowly reverse out.

·
Registered
ZOE 50 Intens + CCS, Flamme Red
99 Posts
I had a ZE50 via ONTO which I got rid of after only three weeks partly because I found the auto hold/parking brake system unpredictable. Mine would definitely roll downhill against the drive direction, I had a very close call where it rolled downhill towards a charger whilst I was trying to slowly reverse out.
One very important matter - for all parking brake / auto hold tasks, the driver must be fastened with a seat belt.
Auto hold did not work for me once I was not buckled up.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not sure who's is right or wrong, but our ZE40 gas pedal acts same as any other time once the engine is on, irrespective of handbrake being on or off.
Wortn noting that I'm also talking form cars first start, not "mid drive".
My pedal does absolutely nothing until the handbrake is released. I can't push through the brakes
One very important matter - for all parking brake / auto hold tasks, the driver must be fastened with a seat belt.
Auto hold did not work for me once I was not buckled up.
Wonder if its that. Today I took my time pulling out of the driveway and testing this and then yes, the engine pulled with the handbrake on.

Seems to be that i am reversing out of the drive before clicking the seatbelt

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just either make sure the HSA is activated or apply the hand brake and then reverse away, I don't see why so many people seem to have an issue with this, or make it an issue, it's really not.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts