Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here... I’ve just ordered my first plug in hybrid and now looking at getting an EV charger installed. I’ve done a fair bit of research and am looking for some advice with regard to my options to locate the charger. As you can see from the photo below I have a large steel posted terrace that sits over the top of my car parking spaces. It seems from what I’ve read that you cannot have any other metal objects within 2.5 metres of the car or the charger? Is that correct? Obviously for me that would be impossible to achieve, so are there alternative earthing options available for me to still get a charger installed? It is quite probable that I could touch both the car (while it is charging) and one of the steel poles at the same time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
As long as the charging point is correctly earthed, then you shouldn't have any problems.

Just to adjust your terminology, the charger is in your car, you would be installing a charging point on the building.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as the charging point is correctly earthed, then you shouldn't have any problems.

Just to adjust your terminology, the charger is in your car, you would be installing a charging point on the building.
Thanks Tall Phil - correction noted - I’m still getting used to the correct terminology ??

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
You need to ensure that your installation is a TT one with a true Earth and does not rely on a PME Earth. Putting a true Earth may be costly due to needing to go through your lovely paving but it is much safer. Which side of the vertical post are you planning on parking, where do you want the charge point installed, and where is your meter?

Reactions: GM7

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I would have thought that bonding the steel beam to the new TT earthing point would avoid the risk of a dangerous potential between the car and the steel beam (local equipotential bonding).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. Car will park in the left hand space as you look at the house. I was actually hoping to fit an eo mini pro to the inside of the steel pole with the cables running up and round the underside of the terrace to the meter which is directly behind the wall where the bin store is (right of front door)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, there is a Matt-e device which will cover this exact sort of scenario. It's used instead of an earth rod.
Yes I like the idea of the Matt-e. I want to have as few cables visible as possible. Got a thing about having messy cables clipped to brick walls ?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
I would have thought that bonding the steel beam to the new TT earthing point would avoid the risk of a dangerous potential between the car and the steel beam (local equipotential bonding).
That steel should probably already be bonded to the PME. You'd need to convert the whole house to TT.
This is the problem with making TT islands - in most houses stuff like this (outside taps, etc) makes the island more of a St Michael's Mount, sort of.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
If it's already bonded, probably not hard to unbond the steels and test impedance between main supply earthing terminal and the steels ( normal precautions, proper tools, experienced personnel etc apply).

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
If it's already bonded, probably not hard to unbond the steels and test impedance between main supply earthing terminal and the steels ( normal precautions, proper tools, experienced personnel etc apply).
But what about the balcony area above? Looks like metal edged guard rails, presumably attached to the steel work. And it's an area which could easily be used with mains appliances.
I'd use a matt-e or equivalent, even if it cost a bit more. TT is not a universal panacea.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But what about the balcony area above? Looks like metal edged guard rails, presumably attached to the steel work. And it's an area which could easily be used with mains appliances.
I'd use a matt-e or equivalent, even if it cost a bit more. TT is not a universal panacea.
It’s Also physically attached to my neighbours steel terrace/balcony so have that to consider as well...

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
That steel should probably already be bonded to the PME. You'd need to convert the whole house to TT.
This is the problem with making TT islands - in most houses stuff like this (outside taps, etc) makes the island more of a St Michael's Mount, sort of.
I'd be amazed if it is bonded to the PME - it is very likely to be Earthed to the true ground as it is a Class 1 structure and the risk of a shock if the PME "Earth" floats is considerable. Given the remote nature of this conjecture and (at least my) lack of formal qualifications I suggest that the OP gets a qualified Electrician in and pays for some advice. We can have opinions on the relative merits of TT and PME but whatever he does needs to be consistent with his (and the neighbouring) property.
Thanks all. Car will park in the left hand space as you look at the house. I was actually hoping to fit an eo mini pro to the inside of the steel pole with the cables running up and round the underside of the terrace to the meter which is directly behind the wall where the bin store is (right of front door)
Sounds a really neat solution. If an Earth is required it should be easy to run the cable down the inside of the H section (the sanserif I looks wrong!) and lift the paviour infill to get through to install a rod.
Out of interest - where is the charge point on your EV? It would be good not to be forced to be a nosey parker.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd be amazed if it is bonded to the PME - it is very likely to be Earthed to the true ground as it is a Class 1 structure and the risk of a shock if the PME "Earth" floats is considerable. Given the remote nature of this conjecture and (at least my) lack of formal qualifications I suggest that the OP gets a qualified Electrician in and pays for some advice. We can have opinions on the relative merits of TT and PME but whatever he does needs to be consistent with his (and the neighbouring) property.

Sounds a really neat solution. If an Earth is required it should be easy to run the cable down the inside of the H section (the sanserif I looks wrong!) and lift the paviour infill to get through to install a rod.
Out of interest - where is the charge point on your EV? It would be good not to be forced to be a nosey parker.
Agreed - I think I need a good local electrician with experience in EV Charge Point Installation to come and do a survey. I don’t thing the remote photo job will cut the mustard.

charge port on the car is front passenger side so will reverse into the space ??

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
If you are willing, please post the advice on here along with any reasoning that they provide.

Well done for parking the right way around, and perfectly aligned for the post.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are willing, please post the advice on here along with any reasoning that they provide.

Well done for parking the right way around, and perfectly aligned for the post.
happy to! Will keep you all posted ??

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
it is very likely to be Earthed to the true ground as it is a Class 1 structure and the risk of a shock if the PME "Earth" floats is considerable.
Yes. But depending on the foundationwork it might actually be an earth rod in it's own right. It's a bit of a puzzle for PME.

Given the remote nature of this conjecture and (at least my) lack of formal qualifications I suggest that the OP gets a qualified Electrician in and pays for some advice. We can have opinions on the relative merits of TT and PME but whatever he does needs to be consistent with his (and the neighbouring) property.
I agree. The problem as ever is finding an electrician who can actually make sense of a slightly unusual situation like this. One with industrial experience?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts