Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new Life to get all seasons tyres to replace the ones that came with the car. When I picked it up, the garage (not a VW dealer) had put balance weights on the outside edge of the wheels so that the wheel rims / hubcaps are no longer flush.

I asked about this but was brushed off.

Does anyone know if that's right or wrong? I may call the dealer tomorrow and ask what they would do if they were replacing the tyres. It just looks bad and I find it hard to believe I'm not the victim of poor workmanship.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I took my new Life to get all seasons tyres to replace the ones that came with the car. When I picked it up, the garage (not a VW dealer) had put balance weights on the outside edge of the wheels so that the wheel rims / hubcaps are no longer flush.

I asked about this but was brushed off.

Does anyone know if that's right or wrong? I may call the dealer tomorrow and ask what they would do if they were replacing the tyres. It just looks bad and I find it hard to believe I'm not the victim of poor workmanship.
Sounds like poor workmanship

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,868 Posts
The trims aren't easy to push back on. I had to use a long piece of wood to apply pressure evenly across the width.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The wheel covers are back on as much as they can be, except where the weights have been added, which is causing them to buckle slightly.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,516 Posts
Take it back and suggest to them that they are likely to have to pay for a new set of covers when the current ones fall off and get lost.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take it back and suggest to them that they are likely to have to pay for a new set of covers when the current ones fall off and get lost.
I'm wondering if anyone on here knows if the garage have done a poor job, or if anyone has also had their tyres replaced, did their fitter do the same thing?

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
701 Posts
I guess a valid question is ‘how do you fit tyre balance weights If the wheel covers are that tight?’
What’s the alternative?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stick on weights on the wheel barrel.
Yeah I wondered about that. Do you mean on the inside of the wheel, so it's not pushing against the wheel cover? I might phone my VW dealership and ask them what they would have done in the circumstances.

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
104 Posts
All wheel weights I’ve ever had have been on the inside rim of the alloy, and on the winter steels I’ve got I believe they’re also in the inside...

·
Registered
50 Posts
As someone who has recently changed wheel trims, they are extremely easy to put on and take off. Am a bit worried about my new ones going walkies..

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
104 Posts
How about a proper 90s job - cable ties. But they look unsightly and are easily cut!

But just searched on google, and you can get stainless steel cable ties especially for wheel trims. Look better than the plastic ones...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It's not a VW but the one of our cars with steels and trims has weights on the inner edge. I assume they're the original tyres too.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You may find VW specify a particular design of clip on weight, or possibly use stick on weights on the steels wheels, you need to make contact with your VW dealer and check.

The tyre dealer will just use the clip on weights they have always used with steels.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,399 Posts
I’d be tempted to take them somewhere that knows what they’re doing.

Either balance the wheel with stick on weights like on Alloys, or Dynamic balance them using knock on weights in the inner rim only.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My local tyre fitters are brilliant and if I had an issue with something (never have) they would never brush me off.

As above take it somewhere else.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I’d be tempted to take them somewhere that knows what they’re doing.

Either balance the wheel with stick on weights like on Alloys, or Dynamic balance them using knock on weights in the inner rim only.
Problem is if they can’t get the weights exactly centred they may need to use outer rim weights rather than just on the rim centre, dynamic balancing often needs both.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts