Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We collect our ID.3 Business this week. Love the car. The only thing is it has the steel wheels with caps. Have I made a mistake? The deal we got was fantastic - the car cost under £28k - but should I have paid a bit more? My wife says no!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,111 Posts
You get a lot more than Alloys for the extra to a 1st. Are for example Matrix headlamps worth anything to you? To me they'd make more difference than Alloys that can always be retrofitted.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We picked up our Business yesterday with steel wheels, similar to you, the price of an in stock model with steel wheels was so much cheaper than ordering one that it was worth not having them.
FWIW I think they look a lot better in the flesh than in pictures, and I'll be glad not having to worry about kerbing them.
Plus the Business does comes with matrix lights which are great as reported.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
You could buy a set of alloys + winter tyres from say mytyres.co.uk and then swap the tyres, if you fancy a set of winters on steels. No TPMS to worry about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nothing wrong with steel wheels! I guess that the residual value remains the same.

You could always upgrade to OEM 18″ Loen wheels, pn 10A071498 8Z8. These wheels are a good compromise between price (£764,8) and tyre replacement costs.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life
14 Posts
Got my standard Life delivered on Friday. Hubcaps look much better in real life than the pics, and the steel wheels might be lighter than the alloys too (improving efficiency).
Only thing I'm really missing (apart from the software update) is the reverse camera, which was not standard in that trim... Do you know if it can be retrofitted later as an upgrade?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,886 Posts
Got my standard Life delivered on Friday. Hubcaps look much better in real life than the pics, and the steel wheels might be lighter than the alloys too (improving efficiency).
Only thing I'm really missing (apart from the software update) is the reverse camera, which was not standard in that trim... Do you know if it can be retrofitted later as an upgrade?
I think Kufatec do a retrofit kit, it’s not something VW dealers tend to get into, although I read on here that a few people had them fitted by dealers to their e-Golfs.

There’s a bit of coding required as well as the hardware changes, but it should be simple enough.

I’m not sure why, perhaps it’s habit, but I’m really not bothered about the camera on mine, I find myself not even looking at it. I find the dipping left hand mirror far more useful for reversing and then the beeps as well. For me, the beeps don’t seem to match the image, the obstacle looks miles away and then all of a sudden you’re on top of it!

Maybe I need more practice.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life
14 Posts
I think Kufatec do a retrofit kit, it’s not something VW dealers tend to get into, although I read on here that a few people had them fitted by dealers to their e-Golfs.

There’s a bit of coding required as well as the hardware changes, but it should be simple enough.

I’m not sure why, perhaps it’s habit, but I’m really not bothered about the camera on mine, I find myself not even looking at it. I find the dipping left hand mirror far more useful for reversing and then the beeps as well. For me, the beeps don’t seem to match the image, the obstacle looks miles away and then all of a sudden you’re on top of it!

Maybe I need more practice.
Thanks, I might ask around later.

I had a Toyota Hybrid before (which all have the cam as standard), and got really used to the camera. The small rear window on the ID3 don't help either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We picked up our Business yesterday with steel wheels, similar to you, the price of an in stock model with steel wheels was so much cheaper than ordering one that it was worth not having them.
FWIW I think they look a lot better in the flesh than in pictures, and I'll be glad not having to worry about kerbing them.
Plus the Business does comes with matrix lights which are great as reported.
Thanks for the reassurance. Looking forward to getting the car now!

What software version did your car come with?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine came with 0783 (2.0). I didn't have to push the dealer too hard on it as they were doing it as a matter of course for all new ID3s. It's been a straightforward experience so far except Android Auto isn't working.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts