Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone else had come across this

Car was in for its service today. I advised them I was getting a clicking from front when reversing on full lock

After checking it they have come back and said its a faulty steering Linkage joint

Also said its a common thing so there is stock of the part in the UK so can do it quickly.

Just wondered if anyone else had come across this fault as it seemed to be something they knew was out there..

·
Registered
238 Posts

Car was in for its service today. I advised them I was getting a clicking from front when reversing on full lock

After checking it they have come back and said its a faulty steering Linkage joint

Also said its a common thing so there is stock of the part in the UK so can do it quickly.

Just wondered if anyone else had come across this fault as it seemed to be something they knew was out there..
Your obviously on the Mileage Schedule for Servicing. Is it 70k now?

Edit Just seen your other Post submitted at same time (60k)

·
Registered
538 Posts

You are our test bed. If this is going to happen to the rest of us, then hopefully it will be before the warranty expires!

·
Registered
238 Posts
The EV has a tighter turning circle I think?
1 is the part shared and 2 is the tighter turning circle and amount of torque part of the cause?
There used to be an issue with the Triumph Herald which had a ridiculous amount of steering angle?
Triumph Herald!!! You must be old like me. I remember the issue with the rear suspension which used to collapse and the wheel fold up underneath.

·
Registered
787 Posts
In my experience a clonking noise on full lock with a FWD car used to be associated with a worn CV joint - maybe its the same item being referred to as 'steering linkage joint' but with different terminology?

·
Registered
503 Posts
The EV has a tighter turning circle I think?
1 is the part shared and 2 is the tighter turning circle and amount of torque part of the cause?
There used to be an issue with the Triumph Herald which had a ridiculous amount of steering angle?
They used to wear and the turning circle was so tight it would push the wheels over. Which ended in tears

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In my experience a clonking noise on full lock with a FWD car used to be associated with a worn CV joint - maybe its the same item being referred to as 'steering linkage joint' but with different terminology?
Really dont know will see what parts they replace on the 17th when it goes in to be done.

Being honest I was winging it it a bit, as the noise has been there a while and has never bugged me. But thought as it was 60k miles and a lot of the Rubber & Suspension bits dont get any cover after 60k I would throw it at them so they would give it a good check over as it was the last chance while they were under warranty.

·
Registered
253 Posts
@stageshot,
I get clung sound when turning - it is quite common if you turn steering wheel all the way left or right. I heard about this from lots of people (including Nigel). Not sure if this is the same thing as yours.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Generally it's a bad idea to use full lock when reversing as going backwards put an additional force trying to turn the wheels beyond where they should go. Backing it off a degree or two significantly reduces wear on the joints.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts