Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Journeyman Human
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK all,

Don't panic, but I'd like you to check something for me just so I can tell if it's normal.

My steering wheel/column has a little play in it. If i grip the wheel and pull it up and down it does move 2mm or 3mms. The adjustment handle is fully engaged, I've checked.

So, we all the same? or should I be getting it checked?

·
Registered
MG ZS EV EXCLUSIVE
61 Posts
OK all,

Don't panic, but I'd like you to check something for me just so I can tell if it's normal.

My steering wheel/column has a little play in it. If i grip the wheel and pull it up and down it does move 2mm or 3mms. The adjustment handle is fully engaged, I've checked.

Checked my car no play at all.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
OK all,

Okay @Favguy
Just to clarify a few things first in order to get a consistent comparison report for you r checks.

1. The slight play you are feeling, does it feel like "End Float" in the steering column.
Do you feel the small amount of "Play" when you first pull back and then push back down ( towards the floor pan of the car ) against the steering wheel with both hands ?.
If so, my first check would be on the pinch bolt that attaches the bottom of the steering column, to the steering rack.
I am unsure if the ZS has this type of attachment, but almost every car I have ever seen as this very same type of connection.
Usually, there are two universal couplings on the main steering column, then at the lower U.J. it will be connected to the steering rack via a pinch bolt.
This could be checked, by asking somebody to pull backwards and forwards on the wheel, while you check for end float in the steering column with a light.
It will be a little tight for space with two people, but that is how the dealer would check for end float.
Or, secondly do you have the play when you are "Rocking" the steering wheel ?. When one hand is placed at the 6 o'clock position and your other hand is placed at the 12 o'clock position ( top and bottom of the wheel ) then try flexing the steering wheel at these points with each hand first.
Now, repeat this same action with both your hands at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions on the steering wheel and try feeling for the play at this point.
Normally, this type of test would be carried out on an MOT to establish if there is wear in the steering column bushes, either top & bottom or side to side movement.
I would not expect this to be evident in your car.

2. At the time of your test, are the front wheels facing straight ahead, or turned at at an angle when you carrying out your test ?.

3. Is the car fully booted and in the "Ready" state ( so the power steering is fully active ).

I have carried out BOTH methods of test on my own car that is parked on the driveway.
The car is in the "Ready" state and the wheels are pointed in the straight ahead position.
Sorry, but I am unable to reproduce any "Play" in the steering column.
As a LONG retired tech myself, if there was any play evident that replicates your situation, I think I would be able to reproduce it on my car.
Should it be a common problem of course.
Just so you know, my car has covered roughly about 2,500 miles and was collected on the 6th Jan 2020.

·
Journeyman Human
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

The play isn't end float, I doubt it's any play in the column joints themselves, but suspect its play in the locking mechanism for the steering wheel/column height adjustment.

Moving the wheel up and down, floor to roof, if you like, shows the play, nothing left to right and nothing at all when pulling and pushing in and out.

It's there at all times, car on or off, wheels in any position.

It doesn't seem anything serious, just annoying me a little, if others had it and it was "normal" I'd forget it, but as it seems others, so far, don't have it, I'll investigate.

I'll remove the plastic covers and take a look for anything obvious such as loose mountings related to the height adjustment mechanism, Hopefully it'll be something simple I can put right myself. If not, I'll bother the local dealer.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

The play isn't end float, I doubt it's any play in the column joints themselves, but suspect its play in the locking mechanism for the steering wheel/column height adjustment.

Moving the wheel up and down, floor to roof, if you like, shows the play, nothing left to right and nothing at all when pulling and pushing in and out.

It's there at all times, car on or off, wheels in any position.

It doesn't seem anything serious, just annoying me a little, if others had it and it was "normal" I'd forget it, but as it seems others, so far, don't have it, I'll investigate.

I'll remove the plastic covers and take a look for anything obvious such as loose mountings related to the height adjustment mechanism, Hopefully it'll be something simple I can put right myself. If not, I'll bother the local dealer.
From your update, it does sound like the locking mechanism for the adjustable height feature is just not gripping the clamp enough.
Having not seen the ZS set up, I can’t be 100% sure.
But usually there is a backing nut at the rear of drivers control lever.
If so, you could just give the locking nut a very small tighten.
Don’t go crazy on the nut or you will never release the lever on the column !.
Quarter of a turn on the locking nut ( if it has one ) should indicate if that is your problem.
There has to be a method of increasing the pitch on the column when the lever is in the fully closed position.
Good luck with your investigation and please report back on your findings.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Made our super market trip this morning.
I was pulling and pushing the steering wheel of car while parked up at the super market.
I bet passers by though I had completely loss the plot !.
After a couple of minutes of constant trying, I could JUST about feel / reproduce a VERY small amount of play in the column that I think you are describing.
It was hard to locate and in my opinion, is nothing really worth loosing any sleep over to be totally honest.
I certainly will not be, that’s Is 100% sure !.
I was thinking about your post this morning and used the trip to super market as a better testing ground for your enquiry.
Put your tools away and relax with a cup of tea.
As the dealer would say :-
“Sorry sir, no fault found”.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The only problem (touch wood) that I have is the car shutting down whilst stopped at traffic lights, but after investigation I found it was my fault messing about with the radio whilst resting my wrist on the gear selector :oops:

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
The only problem (touch wood) that I have is the car shutting down whilst stopped at traffic lights, but after investigation I found it was my fault messing about with the radio whilst resting my wrist on the gear selector :oops:
How funny !.
Love it :eek:.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts