Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finding that I frequently get told off by the car for not holding the steering wheel when using Autopilot, even when I have two hands firmly grasping the wheel.

My preferred position is right hand at about the 1-2 o'clock position and my left hand at the 7-8 o'clock position, but even with both hands on the top of the wheel it seems to moan at me.

I am also finding that to use Autopilot I need to grip the wheel much harder than is comfortable for longer journeys.

Is anyone else finding this?

I intend to ask Service if they can have a look at this when it next goes in for some work, perhaps they can increase the sensitivity of the wheel?

Anyone have any ideas or experience around this?

Cheers

G

·
Registered
960 Posts
I am finding that I frequently get told off by the car for not holding the steering wheel when using Autopilot, even when I have two hands firmly grasping the wheel.

My preferred position is right hand at about the 1-2 o'clock position and my left hand at the 7-8 o'clock position, but even with both hands on the top of the wheel it seems to moan at me.

I am also finding that to use Autopilot I need to grip the wheel much harder than is comfortable for longer journeys.

I intend to ask Service if they can have a look at this when it next goes in for some work, perhaps they can increase the sensitivity of the wheel?

Cheers

G
I'm ready to be corrected as my car is calibrating so have no experience of autopilot but I believe it is not the "squeeze" that's important, its the torque movement of resisting the wheel turn slightly. Supposedly resting your right arm on the door rest and holding the wheel at 3 with slight up and down resistive movement is what the car is looking for. Be good to know if that works so I can employ the technique (one day!) :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was under the impression that there is a metal film under the leather that picks up the presence of a hand in a similar way to those capacitive buttons, but I am happy to be corrected on that if it is wrong.

·
Registered
291 Posts

Cheers

G
I used to do the "grip hard" bit, but it actually seems the car senses torque on the wheel, not contact . If you apply any turning motion to the wheel, even so gently that the wheel doesn't move, the car seems to immediately sense it. Makes using autopilot a lot more pleasant. Try it and see :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used to do the "grip hard" bit, but it actually seems the car senses torque on the wheel, not contact . If you apply any turning motion to the wheel, even so gently that the wheel doesn't move, the car seems to immediately sense it. Makes using autopilot a lot more pleasant. Try it and see :)
OK, I'll give it a try, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Yep, the car senses the rotational movement on the wheel, there are no "grip" sensors. Just give it a slight left or right movement and all will be well. Tesla could make this a bit clearer as it caught me out early on and would drive me mad to the point of screaming at the car "I AM HOLDING THE BLOODY WHEEL!!". :)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
+1 for torque, it just needs to 'feel you'

What works for me - on longer AP journeys on motorways you will find my right-arm resting on the window-sill with my thumb,index & middle fingers resting on the 3-o-clock cross section of the steering wheel. Otherwise, when that gets tiring I typically hold it lightly in the 4 or 7 position with my arm resting on my leg.

That way I get zero warnings to hold the steering wheel and you immediately feel any steering wheel movement and can take over at once.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
PLEASE do raise it with Service...I've mentioned it to them and they are all oh it's fine theres nothing wrong..
I even sent them this..

I suspect that they have turned off the capacitive sensors in the steering wheel to see if the "micro-movements" detection works so they can cost-cut the sensors.... it clearly doesn't....

I find that sometimes I have to put in so much movement for it to detect that it cancels the AP...

(previously when the capacitive sensors worked well you could lane change by touching the wheel ever so slightly, now you need to actually wobble the wheel for it to detect hand contact)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,601 Posts
The system will look for small steering corrections, so if you are an extremely steady handed person with good predictive assessment of the road ahead, so you tend not to keep making reciprocating corrections, then it will think you are not holding on.

Same thing will happen if you go to sleep, because then most people stop making their useless small corrections. if you are an experience, or just skilful, pilot for example you will very likely make an unusually small number of such steering corrections.

Give the wheel an unnecessary wiggle occasionally, and it'll be happy you are still there.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Give the wheel an unnecessary wiggle occasionally,
Did you see what happened in the vid? it didn't detect until the wobble was enough to cancel AP...

The Micro-movements detection clearly doesn't work.. the old capacitve touch does work. this has only happened since the last software change when they disables he capactive...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tesla could make this a bit clearer as it caught me out early on and would drive me mad to the point of screaming at the car "I AM HOLDING THE BLOODY WHEEL!!".
Yes, that is exactly where I am.

The system will look for small steering corrections, so if you are an extremely steady handed person with good predictive assessment of the road ahead, so you tend not to keep making reciprocating corrections, then it will think you are not holding on.

Same thing will happen if you go to sleep, because then most people stop making their useless small corrections. if you are an experience, or just skilful, pilot for example you will very likely make an unusually small number of such steering corrections.

Give the wheel an unnecessary wiggle occasionally, and it'll be happy you are still there.
But surely if AP is working well then it doesn't need any of those small corrections. It is only on the smaller least driven roads that I find I need to assist AP and invariably it takes offence at my suggestions, swears at me (thankfully it is bleeped out) and shuts down in a sulk. :rolleyes:

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,601 Posts
Did you see what happened in the vid?..
No, I am on lunch break and videos are blocked. But from what you are saying, then, yes, it seems that they shut off capacitive detection (though I doubt that it would have relied on that, because you can still go to sleep with your hands on the wheel) without recalibrating the 'wiggle'.

it may not be a single wiggle, but how many little wiggles there have been. ...10 little wiggles = 1 big wiggle, etc...

·
Chartered Engineer
1,845 Posts
I'm also pretty sure it just registers torque fluctuations in the steering column. For me (AP1) it's perfectly happy with either or both arms resting on the door or centre console and resting my fingers lightly on the steering wheel. I very rarely have the nag message and it means I can instantly tighten my grip and take control if necessary. I only tend to do this to increase separation from trucks on the motorway or when approaching roadworks, it's been several months since I had any sudden departures!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I'm also pretty sure it just registers torque fluctuations in the steering column.
I agree now this is the only sensor working. However. Mine used to be far more touch sensitive, so much that I'd swear it was capacitive touch.. the lane change just needed a palm feather touch to the side of the wheel, not a grip on the wheel..

·
Chartered Engineer
1,845 Posts
I agree now this is the only sensor working. However. Mine used to be far more touch sensitive, so much that I'd swear it was capacitive touch.. the lane change just needed a palm feather touch to the side of the wheel, not a grip on the wheel..
Tesla definitely reduced the sensitivity of the detection - for that you can blame the idiotic youtube videos I suspect - but now I've got used to it again I don't have nag messages very often. I want to have at least one hand on the steering wheel anyway - it is a driver assistance feature and not fully autonomous after all.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I find that sometimes I have to put in so much movement for it to detect that it cancels the AP...
This is exactly my experience. Indeed, the wiggle needed to stop it nagging and the wiggle sufficient to disengage AP completely are so close that it's actually difficult to NOT disengage. And when it does you generally get a minor wiggle / swerve from the car itself.

Indeed, the whole AP party trick has definitely worn off for me and while TACC and auto dipping headlights are great, we haven't used auto steer for over 2000 miles now.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
we haven't used auto steer for over 2000 miles now.
Wow. I think 80 to 90% of my driving is on AP. I even drove over Snake Pass and back with it this morning....

I only have to move the wheel a fraction to cancel the nag reminder, but rarely does that cancel AP altogether.

What steering mode do you use out of interest? Sport makes it much lighter so I wonder if that might be the reason.

I love AP. It makes my weekly (sometimes more than) 300 mile journey a breeze.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Perhaps there are some slight differences between cars?
I have always responded to the nag by lightly pinching the wheel around 4 oclock with no known torque applied and it works in my car?
I have noticed a pronounced difference in the level of torque needed to cancel AP in my car compared to a similar aged loaner I had when in for annual service.
Mine is an AP1 built Nov 15 and needs substantial torque to cancel AP (enough to cause the car to sway a bit)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Tesla definitely reduced the sensitivity of the detection - for that you can blame the idiotic youtube videos I suspect ....
Isn't this the downside to OTA changes.

Sometimes they are better for the user, sometimes they are better for Tesla.

TBH my classic car has seen very little of the former for a long while now. The only single thing I can think of is the 5 way eq in the audio. Otherwise it's been negative ever since the 7.x releases :(

For any following the performance limiting stunts Tesla are messing with on the PxxD cars now (which is almost certainly warranty related) it's risking them upsetting a lot of their most loyal advocates.

·
Registered
765 Posts
TBH my classic car has seen very little of the former for a long while now. The only single thing I can think of is the 5 way eq in the audio. Otherwise it's been negative ever since the 7.x releases :(
Obviously it depends on your personal usage profile, but I thought the supercharger occupancy status and the seat position linked to keyfob auto adjust were both definitely recent plus's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts