Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just a request for sharing of experiences - 1100 miles in and a few long journeys later, I'm still finding that I get nagged by autopilot to apply slight pressure to the steering wheel.... when I have my hands on the wheel. I'm finding it a bit annoying to be honest, I understand why it's there but given I'm a good, law abiding, driver that keeps at least one hand on the wheel, I'm feeling a bit hard done by getting told off all the time.

It actually ends up being less relaxing using autosteer than otherwise not doing - surely this wasn't the aim?

I've actually considered getting one of the (rather overpriced) wheel weights that can be found on various auction sites to substitute the fact that my arms obviously aren't heavy enough to convince autopilot I'm being a good boy ( maybe I should just get myself off to the gym ??)

I'm not considering this a method to drive without my hands on the wheel as that's clearly dangerous.

Any others experience this or have a neat solution to the problem? I know some Volvo drivers jam a small water bottle in there when on Pilot Assist...

Cheers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It actually ends up being less relaxing using autosteer than otherwise not doing - surely this wasn't the aim?
I found this at first as well, but have got used to it now and AP seems to be working reasonably well in recent software updates. I find it more comfortable to use now I have adjusted the steering wheel height to a little above my legs, and can easily rest an arm on my legs with a little pressure on the bottom part of steering wheel, and swap hands from time to time. Just holding the wheel with a few fingers enough to resist auto-steer a little works fine for me.

Reactions: Rupert Holdsworth

·
Registered
177 Posts
Overriding the layer of protection is like putting a brick on the accelerator. The wiggle is a dead mans handle in old train speak.

It is there for a very good reason. To keep you alert. Don’t try and defeat it or you may not live to tell the tale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Overriding the layer of protection is like putting a brick on the accelerator. The wiggle is a dead mans handle in old train speak.

It is there for a very good reason. To keep you alert. Don’t try and defeat it or you may not live to tell the tale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm really not trying to defeat it - my understanding is that AP can detect the weight of a hand on the wheel to confirm that you are still alert and in control of the vehicle - in such a circumstance that it can't detect such a weight it then nags you. The wiggle is an accepted way to tell it that you are there and alert.

I find it controversial in some ways as many a video online shows people NOT holding the wheel and just responding to the 'nag' with a 'wiggle'. This is surely a less safe method of using AP ! I'm just trying to find a solution to AP not responding to the weight of my arm on the wheel when I AM holding it.

As I mentioned, I had a hire car (Volvo V90) last year with Pilot Assist and it has the same failsafe but seemed to be better at detecting the weight of my hand on the wheel - usually left or right with a thumb or couple of fingers at either the 10 or 2 O-Clock positions.

I'm just finding that AP isn't happy that I actually do have my hands on the wheel, either left, right or both unless I exert some small amount of constant downward pressure. I have experimented by holding with my left hand and resting my right hand on my left wrist - this removes nagging but isn't a safe or sustainable way to drive but does prove with a little more weight on my left ( or right) arm ( or wrist) that the system works. Unfortunately for me - being of slight build - that the weight of my arm resting isn't enough so I either have to apply constant pressure or keep wiggling every few seconds.

Personally I think it's just a calibration issue - my original query in the OP was a matter of inquisition as to whether extra weight to supplement that on my arm would help.

I absolutely agree that defeating the system entirely is foolish and dangerous - indeed it's in some part because of this sort of behaviour that these systems have to have so many failsafes.

Drivers just can't be trusted ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.