Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4yr old Leaf 24kw Acenta that has done 70,000 miles. Has been a great car so far, but recently the reversing has been getting stickier and stickier, is quite tight. Sometimes have to drive forward a little, then reverse again, then drive forward a bit more as it is so tight. Is worse first thing in the morning in the recent winter period when has been cold. After driving for a while it usually improves.

Still on the original brake pads, which have never been cleaned, and could do with it. The brakes are often squeaky first use of the day and when it is cold. The brakes are otherwise fine, and operate perfectly when driving.

Anyone come across this thing with the tight and sticky reversing? Is very clumpy. Does something just need a bit of lubrication?

·
Ev Pioneer Leaf Accenta 24kw Gen 1
156 Posts
YES! Your brakes are binding on. When I wash mine off, and after heavy rain the discs stick and the car "clunks" as it starts, I have had the handbrake stick and drag twice as well (both times when in heavy rain) so when I park up in my garage I don't use the handbrake just put in P and when I notice it dragging drive in D for a bit instead of Eco and run the brakes a bit harder, My discs get a surface coating of rust on them and the dealer flagged it up on the service last week trying to get me to replace them, see my £260 new discs thread from last week.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
A bit of heavy braking might help out.
Some people are so gentle/efficient they almost never use the friction brakes which can lead to this.
Avoid B/eco for the first couple of times you brake and stomp them a bit (look behind you first!).
Helps to keep them scrubbed and moving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts