Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And that last super short vid was from 4 years ago.
If i can help only a few see and get them/you to do your own research , it will of been worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts
Watch a 55 minute film from a
conspiracy-pseudoscience organisation?

The 2 minute film says it all.

No thanks...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
@Tooks, @mikegs, @RunningStrong, lets take a close look... ;)

This 1906 respected scientific authority shows that Hydrogen & Oxygen will combine without combustion on a surface where they touch.

The Royal Society - The Combination of Hydrogen and Oxygen in Contact with Hot Surfaces

So, rather than spraying aerosol, the visible streams might be water vapour that was not present before the hot plane passed. In other words planes might be creating Water Vapour.

This 2008 respected scientific authority shows that Water Vapour is a bigger contributor to global warming than CO2.

The scientific hypothesis appears credible. However, this next report shows that simple humans have so far denied there is an anthropogenic source of atmospheric Water Vapour.

The question is - could the conspiracy theorists have observed, and misidentified, the biggest anthropogenic cause of global warming? Is SpeakEV the single greatest source of scientific collaboration and discovery?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Sorry Simon - it's just a (mad) conspiracy theory. We are geoengineering the planet, but in an entirely un-directed unintentional way, by burning billions of tonnes of "fossil" carbon, cutting down huge swathes of forest, grinding down mountains, etc.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
... @jmacneil! Are you fearful that @BNG will drag you to a lower level and beat you with experience?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
... @jmacneil! Are you fearful that @BNG will drag you to a lower level and beat you with experience?
Errr, whut?
Hydrocarbon fuels are of course stuffed full of hydrogen to make water vapour with - no need to posit free hydrogen in the atmosphere? Or have I completely misunderstood you? I have to confess I didn't get very far with the videos before my "conspiracy nut detector" went off, so I might be barking up the wrong tree having missed something.

·
Registered
467 Posts
So, rather than spraying aerosol, the visible streams might be water vapour that was not present before the hot plane passed. In other words planes might be creating Water Vapour.
You seem a bit confused. Jet planes are not hot (~ -50C) at contrail heights, and their engines burn hydrocarbons to produce water vapour, and CO2. Water vapour is not visible, but contrails are ice, which is visible. The presence of contrails can be predicted, given enough data, by the Mintra line on a tephigram or the Schmidt-Appleman criterion. eg. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/metofficegovuk/pdf/about-us/legal/foi-disclosure/contrails_disc_log_011.pdf

Dane is a well known quack with an evangelical style. Take no notice of anything he says!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Jet planes are not hot (~ -50C) at contrail heights
Not strictly true. Concorde reached 127°C at the nose and trailing edge. It is well known that planes have higher cost heat-reflecting paints, and the nose invariably white, which would only be advantageous if temperatures could rise significantly higher than -50°C.

Heat from friction will vary across the edges of a moving plane, and vary across the wings depending on the configuration of flaps and ailerons. What is the variation in surface temperatures during flight?

Furthermore, what is the definition of hot? Does the surface need to reach a specific temperature - or simply need to be hotter than the medium it is passing through?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Not strictly true. Concorde reached 127°C at the nose and trailing edge. It is well known that planes have special paints to reflect heat, which would only be advantageous if temperatures could be significantly higher than -50C.

Heat from friction will vary across the edges of a moving plane, and vary across the wings depending on the configuration of flaps and ailerons. What is the variation in temperatures during flight?
Jet airliners operate in the subsonic to transonic region. Concordes were always somewhat rare, and especially now! Anyhow ,where do you get your hydrogen from?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
where do you get your hydrogen from?
If hydrogen were released from other gasses then atmospheric H2 and CH4 contain enough hydrogen atoms to support ~0.001% atmospheric Water Vapour, and the atmospheric norm is a lowly ~0.01% Water Vapour at -42°C. This represents 10% increase in Water Vapour at common flying altitudes and relatively small amounts of Water Vapour have great environmental significance.

P.S. I have been watching Johnson and Corbyn 🌨

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Concorde cruised over twice as fast and twice as high as any other airliners, its skin temperature is irrelevant. Also note the fastest air-breathing aircraft (SR-71) was painted black ... or very dark blue anyway.

"Nose invariably white" - really?

Dark Blue

Orange

Red

Grey

Smiley Face!

Black

I could carry on but you get the idea. Composite parts are often painted white to prevent UV degradation; a lot of radomes are made of composites and hence white noses are common since that's where the radar goes, but as you can see from above it is not mandatory, which it would be if there were a real heating problem. There are many other reasons for painting aircraft white including visibility (especially birds see white aircraft more easily) and as noted here (https://aerospace.basf.com/heat-reflective-cool-pigments.html) it does help not to heat up a long metal tube when its on the ground and has no engines running to power the air conditioning.

If you really want to see details of just how cold an airliner skin is, have a read of this answer:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I could carry on but you get the idea.
... I meant typically. Ok folks, we have to bring this forum back together.

I am not denying that contrails are anthropomorphic clouds, or jet fuel combustion emits Water Vapour.

What I am suggesting, however, is that oxidisation of atmospheric gasses (e.g. CH4) might be triggered by passing jets (the engines operate at ~2000°C), and thus the total amount of Water Vapour created by flying might exceed that of jet engine emissions.

In either case, flights have a larger impact on climate change than I previously thought 👍

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,670 Posts
Sorry, what's this thread about?

I can see a really nice clear example in that short video of what happens at dew point as the pressure is mechanically dropped a little more, in this case by the lower pressure above the wing profile. Nice display.

The narrator seems to be saying something about aerosol spraying. Did he have some other videos of that?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts