Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have a better idea of the sort of person who previously owned my leaf. I used the heated steering wheel for the first time today, now my car reeks of perfume or scent of some description. They must have either poured a bottle of the stuff over the steering wheel or bathed in it. So... any tips for removing smelly stuff from a steering wheel? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I now have a better idea of the sort of person who previously owned my leaf. I used the heated steering wheel for the first time today, now my car reeks of perfume or scent of some description. They must have either poured a bottle of the stuff over the steering wheel or bathed in it. So... any tips for removing smelly stuff from a steering wheel? :rolleyes:
Ha nice problem. Our cat is growing older and disgraced himself on my carpet recently. I found the best thing was Bissel pet clean from Argos or Amazon : BISSELL Pre-Treat Pet | Helps Removes Tough Pet Stains & Odours | 1137E by BISSELL and bicarbonate of soda - I bought 1/2 kilo from Home Bargains for les than £1. Soak the wheel with the stuff and sprinkle bicarb on it. Wait for a couple of hours and it will be like new.

This other stuff is also great for carpets and car interiors:Turtle Wax 52744 Cleaner: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Best thing is soapy water to be honest.

Or when on a free charge point crack the window open a smidge and keep turning on the climate control remotely to heat the wheel up and heat it out of there :D

does sound more like soaking the wheel is the way to get it out though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone ;)

I like the idea of soaking it in diesel, only problem is that'll make it a tad slippery!

I managed to reduce the smell at the source a little with some white vinegar but the stuff has gone too deep into the leather I think. Soaking it isn't really an option without taking the wheel off, fluid just drips right off the leather... and I don't like the idea of messing with the airbag.

I decided to just try using the heater built into the wheel for a while and hope that drives the stench out. In the meantime I'm swamping it with a Californian Cherry 'freshener' - those things a crazily strong, good thing they have a regulator on the lid to reduce the potency!

If that doesn't work I'll try Barfly's anti-bad pet method as a last resort :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner spilt one of those clip on vent air freshers with the cheap plastic top and glass bottle of fragrance, something I've nearly done when I was given one as a gift 😆 I've got a spray can of 'New Car' smell and it also works as a deodoriser, works a treat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts