Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be traveling the A303 next week and as there are so few charging points I e-mailed English Heritage and got the following reply:-​

Thank you for contacting us about Stonehenge.

Stonehenge does not currently have an EV charging point.

There are no current plans to facilitate this, but thank you for bringing this to our attention and it is now under review.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions please contact our Customer Services Department on[email protected] or on 0870 333 1181. Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Does anyone have a view on if this helps the agenda?​

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I'll drop them a line, as I've wondered the same. English Heritage done really seem actively pro-EV so the more of us who contact them centrally and at their various sites the better chance of change.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was also thinking about emailing them. I get free access to most sites as Royal Mail have a corporate membership, and charging would make visiting much easier.

·
Registered
142 Posts
@Paul Yes, surely they should be doing as much as the National Trust as they are also 'guardians' of our heritage and environment. Will definitely be in contact with them, and should probably tweet after visiting sites. Still pretty new to this social media stuff. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have also just emailed English Heritage about Electric Charging points and their reply says that they are "not looking to add charging points at Stonehenge for the foreseeable future". Very poor.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Don't just talk - take action. Wiltshire County Council (WCC) are considering a second tranche of rapids across the county. Amesbury would be excellent as a A303 en-route rapid charger location and a near enough destination charger for those going to Stonehenge (World Heritage Site). Please lobby WCC so the decision makers can see there are EV users. A key point to make is that it brings visitors into the county and that it is good for local businesses. One line to take: 'I would visit Wiltshire if........' E-mail: [email protected] - Tel 01225 713458 - Sustainable Transport Group, Neighbourhood and Planning Dept, County Hall, Trowbridge, Wiltshire BA14 8JH.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,509 Posts
I spent several phone calls and emails attempting to explain to EH and NT that all 'we' (EV-ists) require is a regular 3-pin/commando plug, and these places have these things by the half dozen normally. No need for fancy charging point, we just need an outlet.

Fell on deaf ears. Possibly stupid ears as no-one seemed to quite understand; "errr, you have an EV but we don't have EV charge points", "yeah, but you do use electricity don't you?", " err.. we're looking into getting EV charge points".

As usual in just about every dealing I seem to have with any 'organisation' these days, totally disjointed, non-sequitur logic.
All my life I have sought to offer constructive comment wherever I have seen an opportunity for improvement, and only at this late stage in my life am I now seeing why others just don't bother trying.

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
I will be traveling the A303 next week and as there are so few charging points
The whole A303/South West (off the motorway) is really badly serviced. So bad that I cannot have an BEV for the sort of driving I have to do (Taunton to Exmoor/Mendips/Dorset) at all. Any longer route is getting on for 80-100 miles a day and never passing a charger!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I spent several phone calls and emails attempting to explain to EH and NT that all 'we' (EV-ists) require is a regular 3-pin/commando plug, and these places have these things by the half dozen normally. No need for fancy charging point, we just need an outlet.

Fell on deaf ears. Possibly stupid ears as no-one seemed to quite understand; "errr, you have an EV but we don't have EV charge points", "yeah, but you do use electricity don't you?", " err.. we're looking into getting EV charge points".

As usual in just about every dealing I seem to have with any 'organisation' these days, totally disjointed, non-sequitur logic.
All my life I have sought to offer constructive comment wherever I have seen an opportunity for improvement, and only at this late stage in my life am I now seeing why others just don't bother trying.

My view on chargers is as follows:

13A / 3-pin plug is fine for 8-12 hour charges - at home or at work.
32A / 7kW 'fast chargers' for places of interest, restaurants, cinemas, etc where you want to be for 2 - 3 hours
DC Rapid charging for Motorways and A-Roads.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts