Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my departure time set for 7.45, max charge 80% and minimum 20%. I have octopus go so it’s better to charge at night. The car charges mostly at the off peak hours I’ve set but always seems to leave a little bit for just before my departure time. Is it possible to stop this as it’s costing me more.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,333 Posts
I’m presuming you want a pre-heated car for whenever you’re actually going to depart in it?

The simplest way to do that would probably be to set two departure times, the first at the end of the off-peak period so that the car is 100% charged on cheap rate electricity. This departure time could have no heating/cooling applied.

The second departure time would be for your actual departure, so the only electricity used would be for warming/cooling the cabin to achieve whatever temp you’ve set?

Depending on the time between your off peak charging ending and your actual departure time, you probably won’t get the benefit of a warm battery, but that’s probably better than paying peak prices to charge at your actual departure time, if that makes sense?

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Shame there is no option to turn off the feature! Also annoying you can only set 3 departure times!

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you have an EVBox Elvi you can also control the rate of charging by time of day using charging profiles which allow you to specify individual hours in a week. It can slow the charging down to near-zero (or any other level) at times that you choose. You can set up multiple time profiles and switch between them on the app

·
Registered
969 Posts
I think you need to set the charging start time rather than finish time, don't you? Then any extra energy used just before you leave will only be for heating/cooling.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have this setup exactly and just have an everyday recurring setting to charge to 90% for a 4am departure to make the most of the octopus no heating and then a 8am 90% with heating on 5 days a week in winter that still gives me a third free slot for a different programme if I needed one. If I don’t need the 8am I simply untick the tick box for that one. I used the same system on the e-Up previously as it works in the same way.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have this setup exactly and just have an everyday recurring setting to charge to 90% for a 4am departure to make the most of the octopus no heating and then a 8am 90% with heating on 5 days a week in winter that still gives me a third free slot for a different programme if I needed one. If I don’t need the 8am I simply untick the tick box for that one. I used the same system on the e-Up previously as it works in the same way.
I think thats what i will have to do. is your 8am one just heating and no charging?

I have a 5pm Heating only for leaving work (bliss in this weather) and also a 100% 8am one i can toggle on if i need it but i guess i will have to do away with that. I need 4 slots!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts