Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

If you have had Stop Electrical Failure Danger, how old was your car and what (approx) mileage?

1 - 20 of 1134 Posts

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I appear to have just broken down. STOP Electric Failure DANGER displays on the dash. Anyone had this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,448 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a similar message a couple of months ago, so walked away and returned to the car about 40 mins later to find it had reset itself and its been running sweetly ever since, so there's hope for yours yet.....

image.jpg

·
Zoe Devotee
9,296 Posts
If it goes away after the 5 mins it takes to shut down car after you lock it and never returns then it's not an issue. Probably just a momentary drop in 12v battery voltage. If it occurs every day or few days then you've probably got a bigger issue you want garage to look at.

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. Luckily I was only about 2 miles from home. It let me drive at about 17 mph so I did that and plugged it in, now I've taken the Leaf out. Thank god I've got a second car or else I'd be in big trouble tonight. I'll be returning home at about 11pm so I'll see what's going on then and report back.

·
Registered
107 Posts
As @Sandy says, hopefully it's only a one off otherwise you'll need to get it looked at. That's also what my local Renault garage told me when I got my message above, but it hasn't returned, so hopefully yours is a one off too.

·
Read Only
67 Posts
Good luck with that. My Zoe's been at Motorline Maidstone since 1st April with 'Electric Motor Failure'. Don't feel any nearer a solution!

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just nipped home. Error still there. It's been a good hour and a half just sitting there, locked. Maybe it's because I had her plugged in. So I unplugged and left her. Back out in Leaf now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
@JohnC sorry to hear that, does your Zoe not work or are they waiting for it to give the same error message again? If the latter I would ask them for it back and you will let them know if it happens again, but if the former ask them why they haven't replaced the motor under warranty!

(I know it's easy for me to say that as mine fixed itself, so hope you soon get a result.)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,296 Posts
Damn, is this an r240?

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, back home and after a good hour of Zoe being left alone, off, locked and not plugged in. Error remains.

What's the best course of action? Some points:

1. The dealership I bought her from is 30 miles away.
2. There's another Renault garage, which sells and services Zoes, about 5 miles away.
3. I've had the car since Dec 2015.
4. She's a Dynamique Nav R240.
5. I really need a replacement car tomorrow.
6. Tomorrow is Saturday.

·
Registered
107 Posts
as it's a an electrical problem so probably related to the battery (?) ask Renault assist to resolve it for you, or arrange a replacement if they can't fix it, as that's what you pay the battery lease for???
Don't know if that will work, but you can always ask.......

(I know this isn't really a helpful reply, but it's been a long week - well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!, but hope you get it sorted, so keep us informed)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,296 Posts
Well you could try charging the 12v battery.

Indeed I'd phone the Renault recovery number, but because it's Saturday your gonna find it difficult to get a rental. But you might get lucky with a courtesy car if you phone first thing.

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I think you might be right. So in the morning I should call Renault and tell my car won't start and take it from there..I won't call the dealer I bought the car from right..? I guess Renault would be more inclined to fix it sharpish than the dealership (well, I would hope anyway), plus they'd have the funds to get me a courtesy vehicle more than the dealership, perhaps.

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I read online that if the 12v battery is flat the doors don't lock. And mine are locking. So I don't think it's that. Anyway, I don't have the means to charge the 12v battery. Is it not supposed to charge itself from the traction battery anyway?

·
Registered
942 Posts
My doors locked when 12v was low with same message so worth trying before Renault take it off you.
Yes it is "supposed" to charge itself just as it's supposed to not go wrong. I now keep a little voltmeter in car that plugs into *** lighter socket to keep an eye on it.
I read online that if the 12v battery is flat the doors don't lock. And mine are locking. So I don't think it's that. Anyway, I don't have the means to charge the 12v battery. Is it not supposed to charge itself from the traction battery anyway?

·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My doors locked when 12v was low with same message so worth trying before Renault take it off you.
Yes it is "supposed" to charge itself just as it's supposed to not go wrong. I now keep a little voltmeter in car that plugs into *** lighter socket to keep an eye on it.
Thank you. How would I go about charging the 12v battery?

1 - 20 of 1134 Posts