Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

If you have had Stop Electrical Failure Danger, how old was your car and what (approx) mileage?

STOP Electric Failure DANGER

153K views 1K replies 106 participants last post by  dparr59 
#1 ·
Well, I appear to have just broken down. STOP Electric Failure DANGER displays on the dash. Anyone had this before?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
If it goes away after the 5 mins it takes to shut down car after you lock it and never returns then it's not an issue. Probably just a momentary drop in 12v battery voltage. If it occurs every day or few days then you've probably got a bigger issue you want garage to look at.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone. Luckily I was only about 2 miles from home. It let me drive at about 17 mph so I did that and plugged it in, now I've taken the Leaf out. Thank god I've got a second car or else I'd be in big trouble tonight. I'll be returning home at about 11pm so I'll see what's going on then and report back.

#9 ·
Just nipped home. Error still there. It's been a good hour and a half just sitting there, locked. Maybe it's because I had her plugged in. So I unplugged and left her. Back out in Leaf now.

#10 ·
@JohnC sorry to hear that, does your Zoe not work or are they waiting for it to give the same error message again? If the latter I would ask them for it back and you will let them know if it happens again, but if the former ask them why they haven't replaced the motor under warranty!

(I know it's easy for me to say that as mine fixed itself, so hope you soon get a result.)

#1,105 ·
@JohnC sorry to hear that, does your Zoe not work or are they waiting for it to give the same error message again? If the latter I would ask them for it back and you will let them know if it happens again, but if the former ask them why they haven't replaced the motor under warranty!

(I know it's easy for me to say that as mine fixed itself, so hope you soon get a result.)
please see my post 2013 Zoe is Doomed. Manufacturers Defect claim in process.

#11 ·
Damn, is this an r240?

#14 ·
Well, back home and after a good hour of Zoe being left alone, off, locked and not plugged in. Error remains.

What's the best course of action? Some points:

1. The dealership I bought her from is 30 miles away.
2. There's another Renault garage, which sells and services Zoes, about 5 miles away.
3. I've had the car since Dec 2015.
4. She's a Dynamique Nav R240.
5. I really need a replacement car tomorrow.
6. Tomorrow is Saturday.

#15 ·
as it's a an electrical problem so probably related to the battery (?) ask Renault assist to resolve it for you, or arrange a replacement if they can't fix it, as that's what you pay the battery lease for???
Don't know if that will work, but you can always ask.......

(I know this isn't really a helpful reply, but it's been a long week - well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!, but hope you get it sorted, so keep us informed)

#16 ·
Well you could try charging the 12v battery.

Indeed I'd phone the Renault recovery number, but because it's Saturday your gonna find it difficult to get a rental. But you might get lucky with a courtesy car if you phone first thing.

#17 ·
No I think you might be right. So in the morning I should call Renault and tell my car won't start and take it from there..I won't call the dealer I bought the car from right..? I guess Renault would be more inclined to fix it sharpish than the dealership (well, I would hope anyway), plus they'd have the funds to get me a courtesy vehicle more than the dealership, perhaps.

#23 ·
My experience is that the dealer tends to me more helpful. I have been able to take the use of an ex demo (usually a leaf), made avaliable to me by the manager at the dealership, when I've needed a car at the weekend. Call the ze services to have the car uplited and contact renault as well to make them aware but your contract is with the garage so they should and can help you. However reading theses forums it is clear that some dealers are willing to be more helpful than others. To get to the garage you can ask the ze service to drop you off or make your way by some other means. If you do happen to discover something is afoot with the 12v still report this and keep a record of any times and dates where you have had issues. I'd worry about doing any work to the car even charging th 12v myself. Get a record let the garage deal with it. It under warrenty your paying for it. Though bare in mind that renault are able to access any times you have attempted to charge successfully or otherwise from the data stored In your car. Of course you are able to track you dates and times via you accounts also. If you have had problems in the past you can still get an accurate record.

#18 ·
I read online that if the 12v battery is flat the doors don't lock. And mine are locking. So I don't think it's that. Anyway, I don't have the means to charge the 12v battery. Is it not supposed to charge itself from the traction battery anyway?

#19 ·
My doors locked when 12v was low with same message so worth trying before Renault take it off you.
Yes it is "supposed" to charge itself just as it's supposed to not go wrong. I now keep a little voltmeter in car that plugs into *** lighter socket to keep an eye on it.

#22 ·
1/Phone garage to ensure they can accept car. Also that they have workshop availability. & Courtesy car?
2/Phone Zoe Assistance (no. On windscreen). They will flatbed car to garage and arrange 3-5 days hire car.
BUT w/end : garage may not accept car at weekend. Enterprise car hire (here) shut at 12 on Sat).
3/ Check with garage Monday as to duration of repair. Phone Renault Customer Services to get car hire arranged/extended.
Do not expect quick turnaround on repair.
Good luck. It may not seem like it but we are here to help!

#24 ·
Once again, thank you everyone for your interest and help.

So I was about to call the dealership in Bradford and explain what was going on, with a view to hopefully get the car in with them today, via a flatbed from ZE assistance, and a courtesy car from them. But..

I checked my phone and there was an SMS from ZE "unexpected end of charge..". Well I wasn't entirely surprised that I'd get a charging error, being as the car was telling me DANGER - Electric Failure. Anyway.. for info, at around 23:15 last night I plugged her in. The timer is set to charge at 01:45. According to my emails, she commenced charging at 01:45 @ 69% and ended (prematurely) at 02:20 @ 85%.

So I just went to the car, disconnected the cable. Turned her on. Error still present. So I turned her off. Something inside of me said "turn her on again, go on", so I did and... the error cleared. Going to for a drive in her now..

Reactions: ofev2357
#27 ·
Definatley good news. Record and report though. You may be less tolerant of such problems if they continue to happen in the future especially if you are left stranded or are in an emergency situation. I hope this is a one off for you though.

#26 ·
Disconnect 12v first, plug in 12v charger, leave for a few hours on fast fitting. Reconnect 12v and test.

#29 ·
You should report it to the dealer you want to use so you can say they have been told before.

This is some lower-than-expected impedance to ground that the car has detected and it might just be a one-off quirk or it might be the start of some degradation mode in the motor/inverter. By reporting it each time it happens (whether the dealer actually bothers to record it or not) if it eventually turns into a fault that doesn't clear on the driveway, they recover it, clear the faults, declare 'no, this is all fine' you can then say 'not so, I have reported this X times on A, B, C dates, it is a recurrent fault' then they will need to do more, or at least be aware that something more is happening and look deeper.

#30 ·
I understand the thinking behind reporting every little fault. But won't the dealer be thinking "oh christ, not this again" every time it goes in with no fault apparent and no fault code stored?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.