I replaced the HV battery on a Toyota estima

EV cars are actually easier to work on than a petrol car

just be very wary of the big orange cables

if the battery is ok, then why return the battery and pay £2500

JJ

·
Registered
371 Posts
Interesting. I signed a 3 year contract for the battery when I purchased the car which Renault extended automatically without asking me to sign a new contract. Would a court assume I had accepted the new contract without signing or seeing it for that matter as I had continued to have direct debit payments deducted by RCI?
Technically you accepted to continue with the lease as you didnt return the battery. If you had a lease car and it got to the end of the lease and you neither accepted a new lease or returned the car then they would keep charging you as you still had the car.

if the battery is ok, then why return the battery and pay £2500
In what scenario?

Overall the battery lease seem pretty straightforward - its a bit messy in terms of renewal and end of live of a vehicle but the lease works for some people and not for others and I believe it got more EVs sold.

Cheers.

·
Registered
702 Posts
#G.a.r.y, I should have said if I haven't signed another lease and they haven't provided one under what grounds could they hold me to payments if I want to hand the battery back as you were asking them, how could they expect you to wait until the end of a term that you have in no way agreed to. It was just thinking around the way of fitting a second hand battery as a way of getting out of the battery lease and not being fleeced for £2500.

·
Registered
371 Posts
#G.a.r.y, I should have said if I haven't signed another lease and they haven't provided one under what grounds could they hold me to payments if I want to hand the battery back as you were asking them, how could they expect you to wait until the end of a term that you have in no way agreed to. It was just thinking around the way of fitting a second hand battery as a way of getting out of the battery lease and not being fleeced for £2500.
Well I guess its up to them to agree not to charge you the £2,500. Not many people have done it so we can't say what would happen for certain if your lease has already run out and you then try and agree to hand the battery back. All I can say is what they told me, that if you arrange to bring the vehicle to an agreed garage coinciding with the end of your current lease, that they would remove the battery free of charge and end the lease.

I do know a guy who had a Renault Kangoo which had leased batteries, his business owned it. He got a new business vehicle and sold the Kangoo to himself personally. He never completed the lease paperwork and when questioned by RCI just told them he'd sold the vehicle. They never chased him regarding the lease for several years until the van developed a fault and he sold it to an EV mechanic. I can neither recommend or not any actions similar to this, I am merely passing on what I have been told....

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
In what scenario?
exactly - dunno. The one where you would find yourself having to scrap your Zoe and pay £2500 to return the battery.

in battery owned, the car could have the same issue that meant you have to scrap it and yes you could sell the battery but you paid £6000 more for it - you are are gonna have to sell the pack for quite a bit and it could only have 60% SOH at which point we are talking repurposing and not selling to a Zoe owner (why would they buy it? To replace their 50% SOH?)

JJ

·
Registered
191 Posts
We must be close to seeing some high mileage Zoes with 100k on the clock. It will be interesting to see what happens.
by the time they drive 100k miles, they saved £10k off lease payments, which is enough to outright buy a new battery.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,836 Posts
by the time they drive 100k miles, they saved £10k off lease payments, which is enough to outright buy a new battery.
Can you clarify "they"? Do you mean RCI or the person who's paid 100,000miles worth of battery hire payments?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
On unlimited mileage you could get to 100k miles in 3 years
36 x £110 is under £4000

@X4dow but you’ve already paid £6k for a battery, plus another £6k for the new one to keep the car useable. Buying a new battery is only any good if you are using it for as long as it takes to recoup lease money.

then what’s the capacity when you go to sell?

dont want to have to be buying a new battery before selling

JJ

221 - 228 of 228 Posts