Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After BMS update (15-oct-2020) by automaker then some KONA stop and comfirmed will need to be replacement whole hi-voltage battery pac at korea.

* Photo = 7th & 5th KONA

·
Registered
863 Posts
The two cars here, both having an EV issue, are both at high SOC according to the HV battery indicators - so presumably very recently fully charged.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Not clear if this happenned immediately after the update or at some point later. I was told by the Hyundai tech that fixed my update that one car in the UK had a battery replaced after the update found the cell deviation too high when the update was installed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not clear if this happenned immediately after the update or at some point later. I was told by the Hyundai tech that fixed my update that one car in the UK had a battery replaced after the update found the cell deviation too high when the update was installed.
Maybe it only shows up after the first rapid charge post update. As we've seen on other threads, many drive around not knowing the update hasn't installed properly until they try to rapid charge.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts

Park away from structures. :D

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
It will likely flag it up when a car is run low and then charged up, its when batteries are at low SoC that the deviation gets wider and wider.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Known about since May 2018 ?? I hope the year is a typo...
Is that talking about a reimbursement plan submitted to the US authorities rather than being something specific to this particular recall?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Perhaps you could have mentioned that the snippet of official documentation is from NHTSA in the US and the described actions by Hyundai may not necessarily actually be followed in the UK, or Europe, or elsewhere...
I could have but I was really just picking up on that one line about parking, not making a comment about the US recall notice as a whole.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

KONA Owner said that it happened while in charging after lasted BMS update.

I still awaiting from them it "what charger are you using it??= not sure FAST or SLOT charger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Automaker confirm that BMS will be auto-start checking battery.
There are 2 point, 1st point is 75~80% 2nd point is 85~90%.
Each point need 10 minute hold charging then auto-rechaging if OK.

·
Registered
Kona Electric, EU base with heat pump
426 Posts
Just for reference, a complete Google translation of the above:

1. When the BMS 2nd update is in progress through the recall, the maximum charging amount and the driving distance are affected.

Answer) Not true. This recall action does not affect the maximum charge and range. However, the driving distance may be different from the previous one immediately after the BMS update. The driving distance is an estimated value calculated based on the driver's driving pattern. When the BMS is updated, the system is initialized and the driving distance is displayed based on the default value. Therefore, if you are a driver who has been driving on fuel economy normally, the available distance may be reduced. When driving according to the existing driving pattern for a certain period of time, the available distance is displayed at a level similar to the previous one.

2. Charging stops at around 80% during charging.

Answer) In the BMS update of this recall action, the battery check logic during charging has been newly added. Start charging, stop charging for 10 minutes at the time of 80% or 90% charging, depending on the battery charge, and self-check the battery (80% self-check at the start of 75% or less heavy electric charge / 90% self-check at the start of charge above 75% 85% self-check / no self-check at the start of charge above 85%) If a battery abnormality is detected during the charging process, the heavy electric charge stops immediately And a text message will be sent to the customer. (Text guidance is only available to Blue Link users.)

3. After the recall, the 'high voltage warning light' of the front Hyundai logo frequently operates.

Answer) Kona EV has a function to check the battery status at all times, and the high voltage warning indicator lights up when checking the battery status. When updating the BMS of this recall measure, the battery is checked at shorter intervals than before. For this reason, the 'high voltage warning indicator' lights up frequently when compared to the previous one. This does not drain the battery enough to affect fuel economy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, after the BMS update if it got battery problem, is it stop immediately or the warning come out after the owner drive out the workshop?

·
Registered
288 Posts
@KiwiME , not sure if I understand the new logic in point 2.

Let's assume I'm on long distance trip and charging on HPC / 50kw charger from 5% --> 95% (just example). Does it mean that charging session will be interrupted ~80%? Will it trickle charge for 10 minutes to keep the session active whilst checking the battery and then ramp up again? Or will it stop and require to restart charging?
Anyone has seen that?

I know we shouldn't charge past 80% on rapid chargers, block them when charge rate is low anyway. But just wanted to understand how it works now???

·
Registered
Kona Electric, EU base with heat pump
426 Posts
Noting that what I've provided is only a translation, so I've presented this for reference so we could all interpret it as best we can.
My understanding from other posts is that the charge session stays intact but the charge power drops temporarily to 1 kW during that 10 min. No user intervention required.

None of this would have any connection with the other common reasons for limiting DC charging to 80% (effective use of charging time and/or money) or AC/DC charging to 80% (longer battery life).

·
Registered
Kona 64
578 Posts
Interesting. Apart from the fact that it is inefficient to charge beyond 80% and also potentially blocks a charger beware in France.

in France it is common because of Government regulations for rapids to charge by the minute. You would not want to be sitting on an Ionity charger at their rates per minute for those 10 minutes! Ouch.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Can we all just agree that "pausing" charging for 10 minutes at 80% to check for insulation breakdown is an ugly (but expedient) kludge for a hardware fault ? Lets hope that this kludge is removed on cars where the batteries have been replaced and the real issue is addressed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts