Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI....if the driver became incapacitated ....how would a passenger be able to stop the car?...there is no handbrake as such?

·
Registered
Ioniq 5
24,443 Posts
Handbrakes are for parking, not stopping the car.

The regen braking in a Zoe is probably stronger.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,515 Posts
HI....if the driver became incapacitated ....how would a passenger be able to stop the car?...there is no handbrake as such?
Same as in a LEAF where there's a foot-operated parking brake - turn the ignition off.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,983 Posts
I thought you could pull the EPB on and hold it on to do emergency braking in all EPB cars?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,110 Posts
Now what do you do when there's no EPB switch? Like on my ID3.

Autohold comes on when the car stops, provided you have enabled it. But all slowing down and stopping is done via the pedals. Also there's no ignition switch. The car detects the key in your pocket and turns itself on. Actually there is an ignition button but I don't know what happens if you hit that while in motion . The transmission lock is in the gear change on the far right well out of reach of a passenger.

Is my car a death trap?

Full 5 stars from EuroNCAP of course!

I think I'll get a prayer book for the glove compartment.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I believe Zoe has a feature where the car will stop in lane after approx 20 seconds of no steering input - it does have “hands off” detection as part of the half-finished lane assist, because I remember my rental shouting at me despite regular input.

Although with no ACC (and no AEB on early models), you’ll probably be screwed long before that.

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
762 Posts
If you genuinely have concerns about this, maybe get a lift with someone else?
😂 Oh goodness. No laughing matter though!

Now what do you do when there's no EPB switch? Like on my ID3.

Autohold comes on when the car stops, provided you have enabled it. But all slowing down and stopping is done via the pedals. Also there's no ignition switch. The car detects the key in your pocket and turns itself on. Actually there is an ignition button but I don't know what happens if you hit that while in motion . The transmission lock is in the gear change on the far right well out of reach of a passenger.

Is my car a death trap?

Full 5 stars from EuroNCAP of course!

I think I'll get a prayer book for the glove compartment.
There must be a Parking Break somewhere? The Zoe has autohold for when you come to a stop, but it activates the brake lights so I don't tend to use this feature if I know I'll be stopped for long periods (though the autohold will change to the PB after a certain amount of time).

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,515 Posts
It's inconsistent from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Pressing the start/stop button while driving

There are different scenarios here - what to do in the event of the driver being incapacitated seems to be dealt with by applying the electronic parking brake in most cars but for cars without one it appears that pressing and holding the Start/Stop button is the only alternative although it doesn't appear to use the brakes in most cases.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Grab the steering wheel and aim for the nearest tree. Works wonders when brakes fail, so I presume it'd also work well when the driver fails.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Showing your green credentials with Arbo-cide?
The tree was conveniently positioned at the top of a hill, so it was a case of wrong/right place at the wrong/right time. And thankfully it turned out to be a very sturdy tree.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts
Same as in a LEAF where there's a foot-operated parking brake - turn the ignition off.
The ignition on a Leaf 40 won’t switch off at speed, I’ve caught it a few times because it is above a cubby hole directly below it.

Not sure about a Zoë but I suspect it’s probably the same.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts
Grab the steering wheel and aim for the nearest tree. Works wonders when brakes fail, so I presume it'd also work well when the driver fails.
You need to hit something more forgiving than a tree, they are pretty immovable objects unless it’s a weedy little tree!

Then they don’t have much stopping force, you don’t really want to find yourself having to select the correct tree in such situations! 😂

It’s a shame that digital photography closed all the snappy snaps branches, they were good at stoping range rovers, but I’m sure that they would be equally useful for EV’s

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts
The ignition on a Leaf 40 won’t switch off at speed, I’ve caught it a few times because it is above a cubby hole directly below it.

Not sure about a Zoë but I suspect it’s probably the same.
Any car with push button start should ignore a quick press while moving but still shut off after pressing and holding.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts