Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, last time I posted (on the old forum) I hadn't yet got my Ampera...well now I have (one of the dozen or so Earths in the UK!) and have just visited a petrol station for the first time in 2,500 miles :)

Anyway I have the little orange engine light issue about 80% of the time and wondered if the method of stopping charging has anything to do with it, and how do other people stop charging? Just unplug? Unlock the car first? By remote or door? I have a BG Polar charger and the plug is a bit stiff compared to the supplied 13A cable, don't know if that has anything to do with it (eg supply disconnecting before the control signal contacts or something like that).

Not particularly serious but it would be nice if it didn't happen!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If it is not already full then i will just unplug. I have not seen any problems with doing this so far.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The orange light problem is more than likely caused by the charging door sticking. This problem is described elsewhere in this forum and is fixed by manually opening the charging door using the key fob. I believe there is now a fix available at the dealers?

·
Registered
121 Posts
The only time I've had the orange engine malfunction light was when my BG home charger failed and it reset after a couple of days. I unlock before unplugging otherwise alarms start ringing, I unplug fully charged or not and never had any problems, not had it with the sticking flap which is a regular occurrence as my car lives outside. The engine malfunction light looks after many things so could be nothing to do with charging and as you've got it 80% of the time I would be looking to get it checked out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all - doesn't sound like the charge disconnect has anything to do with it after all. But I do have a sticking charge door most of the time - I can ”fix” it with lubrication for about a week but then it starts again so I will try keeping it that way to see if that's the problem (trying to avoid the hassle of long distance dealer involvement for a minor irritation!)

Nothing else seems amiss so the main reason I would like to address the issue is in case the light being on for a trivial reason masks something more important in the future.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to update...I have been keeping the charge door lubricated with silicon lubricant (hinge, latch and inner rubber socket surround) and the light has now remained off for longer than it ever did previously :) thanks for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts