Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I stop the charging?

it says in the handbook sparks may occur if I unplug whilst charging?

Is that safe? even if its raining?

sorry for the newbie questions!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
If you are rapid charging you stop it at the charger.

If you are AC charging you just unplug. Some AC chargers have an on/off switch but most you just unplug the same as unplugging your vacuum cleaner or TV at home.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
You can't unplug if you are AC charging as the plug is locked into the car. In that case stop the charge by pressing the charge hatch release button in the car (or on the key fob).

If you are away from home, and DC charging via CHAdeMO, as Rei says you stop it at the pump (or with the app).

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Are you sure about that? I always used to just unplug my Leafs (24 and 30) at home by pressing the release lever and pulling the plug out at the car end (tethered charger). There was a lock but I only ever used it when away from home. Of course some of the public chargers have locks on their end too.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
982 Posts
Are you sure about that? I always used to just unplug my Leafs (24 and 30) at home by pressing the release lever and pulling the plug out at the car end (tethered charger). There was a lock but I only ever used it when away from home. Of course some of the public chargers have locks on their end too.
That’s with the J1772 Connector. The charging stops when you push down the button on the top of the connector to unlock it and pull out.

With the Type 2 Connector on the newer models in Europe you have to interrupt charging (use the unlock button as mentioned already above) to unlock the pin from the charging connector and be able to unplug.

Unless you have made the mistake of modifying a Type 2 connector in a way that it can’t be locked, there should be no way of removing a cable while it is still providing power.

No matter what model OP has, it’s nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I didn't know that! So I have an older Rolec charge point I was going to change the cable on. It doesn't have an on off switch, does that mean there has to be something in the car or on the fob just to unplug it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok this is good info thanks - answered more than one question!

On this basis its a bit simpler, I've seen a 15 A charger which I can get connected, but my brother who's an electrician wants me to have an on off switch outside.

I just want the cable poking thru a hole in the wall , this means I can leave the normal 3 pin plug granny charger in the car in case I needed a sneaky top up round at my families houses :D

I have a 2013 24Kw leaf btw.

He's paranoid I'm going to electrocute myself if its raining.

·
Registered
400 Posts
ok this is good info thanks - answered more than one question!
He's paranoid I'm going to electrocute myself if its raining.
You're not. Unless you've deliberately tampered with something (release button on Type 1 or locking pin mechanism on Type 2). All designed so that connections can't be broken whilst carrying current.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts